Studio monitor or hifi which is better for personal music at home ?

sinhabhit

I am confused that should I buy active studio monitors or tower speaker with stereo amp. I need it for just listening music. I donot do any kind of mixing. I saw Tannoy reveal 802 studio monitors are cheap and comparable to buying bookshelf and amp. Please help in making my decision.

Hi

Every one has different tastes in music and budget....depending on what appeals more to you...head in that direction.....traditionally, most would purchase an integrated amp + good speakers...you can add more components and also get better refinement in sound...

Powered /Active speakers would limit inputs and also the sound quality....

I have zero knowledge on music, but i bought Genelec studio monitors + Sub.
And i am super happy from last 6 months.

So it's better, you audition first and know your taste.
Sound quality wise, Studio monitors are far above than Passive speakers. That's why they are being used in Studios.

Last edited:
If you want to analyze your music get studio monitors and if you want get emotionally connected to your music get HiFi.

If you want to analyze your music get studio monitors and if you want get emotionally connected to your music get HiFi.

I disagree, i enjoy the music and emotionally get connected also with my studio monitors.

Another small FYI - Owner of this Hifivision forum and Hifimart owns studio monitors at his home. And he is in this industry for more than 30+exp.

Last edited:
I think the greatest benefit of going separates is future upgrade ability. Separate components are easier to change /upgrade whilst powered speakers have to change in entirety. The studio monitors being too analytical is over rated in my opinion, as they all have certain tonal characteristics built in and it's up to the listener to decide what feels transparent to them. Otherwise all studio monitor's would sound the same wouldn't they?

If going by the powered monitors route, do try out Adam audio monitors. They are amazing and round about the same price as the Tannoys.

Studio Monitor speakers are one way to approach Hi Fi. Having spent a considerable amount of time with a pair of Yamaha HS-8 studio monitors, I must say, they are excellent speakers for the money.

The challenge is setting them up. You'll need a power point for each speaker unit. The best way to connect them is via XLR. Then, you need a mixer and these come in various qualities. Not all mixers accept a standard RCA input from a source. You have the questionable quality of the pre amp section in your mixer. No point plugging in a expensive CD player or DAC to a cheap mixer cause you're really not going to hear the source the way it is meant to be heard. There are lots of hurdles like these. Unless off course, you have all your loss less music on your computer.

Studio Monitor speakers are one way to approach Hi Fi. Having spent a considerable amount of time with a pair of Yamaha HS-8 studio monitors, I must say, they are excellent speakers for the money.

The challenge is setting them up. You'll need a power point for each speaker unit. The best way to connect them is via XLR. Then, you need a mixer and these come in various qualities. Not all mixers accept a standard RCA input from a source. You have the questionable quality of the pre amp section in your mixer. No point plugging in a expensive CD player or DAC to a cheap mixer cause you're really not going to hear the source the way it is meant to be heard. There are lots of hurdles like these. Unless off course, you have all your loss less music on your computer.

A good DAc can be a Preamp, there is no need of mixed.
I use Chord Mojo which is a portable Headphone Dac+Amp as a preamp to my studio monitors.

A good DAc can be a Preamp, there is no need of mixed.
I use Chord Mojo which is a portable Headphone Dac+Amp as a preamp to my studio monitors.
I agree completely. A DAC with gain control would be the best solution.
Also be aware, Studio monitors or DAC's don't usually come with a remote.

I agree completely. A DAC with gain control would be the best solution.
Also be aware, Studio monitors or DAC's don't usually come with a remote.

By the was my Genelec studio monitors have one remote to control volume :)
No need of remote, i cast to chromecast from wynk or my local music which is on my mobile.
Then from TV toslink out to Mojo DAC. Now i can control everything in from my mobile.

If i want to play DSD then i have to go through USB way :)

Cool. Didn't know that. Genelec's are a cut above anyways. How much did you pay if you don't mind asking?

If you have a choice , go with the powered Monitors. the biggest problem which very few people get right is the synergy between the Amp and Speakers.

All good Active monitors are very well designed, with great synergy and also address the biggest bottleneck with Passive speaker viz Crossovers

I disagree, i enjoy the music and emotionally get connected also with my studio monitors.

Another small FYI - Owner of this Hifivision forum and Hifimart owns studio monitors at his home. And he is in this industry for more than 30+exp.

Could be , but that's him and this is me. We are two different persons with different priorities and opinions. Pretty normal,aint?

Good that you are enjoying your Genelacs and am loving my non studio monitors. To each his own , you know, that's the whole point of this forum. I strongly dislike studio monitors for my music,the presentation of studio monitors to be more specific and that's my opinion and it will remain the same.

Last edited:
do some leg work to understand what you like / dislike. going with studio monitors by hearsay and others point of view is not guaranteed way. advise you do not take decision without listening to both options.

Could be , but that's him and this is me. We are two different persons with different priorities and opinions. Pretty normal,aint?

Good that you are enjoying your Genelacs and am loving my non studio monitors. To each his own , you know, that's the whole point of this forum. I strongly dislike studio monitors for my music,the presentation of studio monitors to be more specific and that's my opinion and it will remain the same.

Nice said.
By the way which Studio Monitors you auditioned and what was the source ?

Traditionally Hi Fi speakers are meant for Home whereas as the name says Studio Monitors are meant for Studios where sound is recorded or processed and where the reproduction has to be faithful to the music produced. For home listening it would be more advisable to buy good Hi Fi speakers. These will iron out minor defencies in the recording and make the music easy to listen to. Monitors could be Near Field or Mid Field but that is a seperate subject. Some NFMs have been exceptionally good like the YAMAHA NS 1000 M or the JBL 43xx series. However it would be advisable to go for good Hi Fi Speakers ( Floor Standers or Book Shelfs) for home use. Choose a respected brand if possible.

Nice said.
By the way which Studio Monitors you auditioned and what was the source ?

Plenty from Surrountec to Focal to JBL to Yamaha connected to Chavin Research etc etc. Source was either a Lexicon or McCormack or AVM or DDA etc etc. They were good for what they were supposed to be but they can't be something they are not meant to be.

No matter what opinion I or you have OP should audition speakers himself and take our advise with a pinch of salt!

Back