Stylus/Cartridge Cross Compatiblity - Nothing official about it.

greenhorn

I had learn recently that within the Shure Range of carts and styluses, the fundamental number of bodies isn't that different, so you can get a lot of styluses to fit cartridges they weren't supposed to.

I recently acquired an M35, but couldnt get hold of an M35 stylus in the UK, was waiting to get one from the US sometime in the future, but decided to play around with the styluses that I had. the M44 family didn't fit, but the M75 ones did but the plastic at the tip got in the way. A little cutting later, I was in business :D

Apparently I can get V15vxMR HE stylus to fit on these too, and I'll end up getting a cheap V15. ordered an Ed saunders V15 stylus. Let's see where this goes.

Anyone else had any similar experience?

The same clip-in Shure cartridge philosophy which was used in the very famous M75-6, was also used in several other Shure carts such as M91, M92, M93 and various store-branded models. They differ in external finish, some being gloss black, some being a flocked blue color, with other possible cosmetic variations. All their internal guts are the same. The N75 stylus is usable in all of these. Technically, the N75 stylus is a Universal Shure Stylus for clip-in Shure carts. Its an open secret :)

Any idea which carts the M55 is related to ?
EDIT:
IT seems the V15 1st generation is the closest relative.

Last edited:
finally got the hyperelliptical V15vxMR stylus from ed saunders. Tried it on the M35 body I had - had to remove the stylus guard to make it fit.

sound wise, i compared it with an M44-7 and the same body with a N75 ed saunders stylus. The sound was more or less the same, but with progressively lesser and lesser distortion during the louder passages with the better styluses.

I really don't have any fancy mint records - most are instrumental i got for cheap, so I'm not sure if there is a difference. Anyway lesson learnt. :D

I also bought an Ed Saunders stylus for a Shure V15/III some years back. I was very disappointed. I've never tried a Jico but I'm told they're very good. I'm thinking of trying a Jico for a vintage Shure M3D.

The wonders never cease. I searched and bought the cheapest elliptical shure stylus on uk ebay to play around and use as a backup stylus, and it cost me all of 8 pounds (most generics cost 12-18 pounds) and the ed saunders cost 59.95 USD.

and the funny thing is, on the M35, it's AMAZING. Especially at that price.

it might not be as forward as the M44-7, but the sound is all there. the highs are nice, and the sibilance comes under control once you turn the tracking force up to the recommended 2g. Surface noise is a lot less than the M44-7, and it's no slouch as far as the bass is concerned. It's better than the generic styluses on the M75 ( though I still need to do a detailed A/B), and It's replaced the M44-7 as my main cart, and I've abandoned my plans to stockpile M44-7 styli, and stockpile these instead :D. The only caveat is that it supposedly belongs to the M93, so if you've got another cart, you might need a bit of mutilation of the plastic grip of the stylus before it agrees to find a new home.

It's a pfanstiehl 4762-DE. .3x.7 elliptical. Made in Japan. M93E stylus
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEREO-TURN...M93-M93EP-D10-G65-G75-N93-762-DE/201149343034
Googling for that shows a lot of positive reviews. If you're looking for a cheap generic stylus, put this one the list.

Last edited:
Good one, I have a Shure M91 MG-D cart (many consider this to be one of the better ones from the Shure stable) with its stock stylus. I am going to try a stock NB71 stylus on it. I'll post my impressions of the comparison. That's one of the plans for tonight.

Good one, I have a Shure M91 MG-D cart (many consider this to be one of the better ones from the Shure stable) with its stock stylus. I am going to try a stock NB71 stylus on it. I'll post my impressions of the comparison. That's one of the plans for tonight.

Tried out the M91 first with its stock stylus and then with the NB71. Honestly both sounded alike. Could not tell any noticeable difference. The LP used was Dire Straits Brothers in Arms. The M91 MG-D sounded a little less impactful than the M44-7 but I thought, had better dynamic range. The guitars sounded really fluid and pleasant. TT used was the Technics SL3200.

I also bought an Ed Saunders stylus for a Shure V15/III some years back. I was very disappointed. I've never tried a Jico but I'm told they're very good. I'm thinking of trying a Jico for a vintage Shure M3D.

jls001, Ed Saunders stylus not good? OMG! I have ordered one for my M55 cartridge.

It's better than the generic styluses on the M75 ( though I still need to do a detailed A/B)

Upgraded to an ADC mag headshell and did an A/B, and the sound difference is obvious. the pfanstiehl wins hands down. Another interesting thing I noticed was that the pfanstiehl cantilever was thinner than the generic.

jls001, Ed Saunders stylus not good? OMG! I have ordered one for my M55 cartridge.

I tried the Ed Saunders V15 stylus again and it sounds very good. I take back my words. Most probably I had not optimised my setup when I got it newly (some years ago) and I heard distortions. With correct setup there's no distortion. In fact it has very nice tone, punchy attacks, admirable dynamics, and very good bass (playing it on a visiting Garrard 401).

Is there anyone to share the experience who tried M75 stylus in Classic 700 Cartridge body. Somewhere I read Shure M75 stylus will match with Classic 700 body. I love to listen Hindi music with Classic 700.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back