Sub woofer for Yamaha AVR V373 - budget 20K

RMCWS

After all the hard work of searching for online info, reading reviews, and finally going for demos (which was a big failure though), and with immense help from the FM's here, I have finally placed an order for Sonodyne Sonus C2501 as my centre speaker for Yamaha 373.

Now the need has come to go for a sub woofer.

The room is 17 x 12 with height of 10-11 ft. AVR is Yamaha 373. Preference is movies: music = 50:50.

I like the sound of bass both in movies and music. Music for me are mostly are Floyd, The Doors, Santana, Hendrix, Aerosmith etc. and some Bengali stuff.

Budget for sub woofer - Rs.20,000/-

I have not decided about any sub woofer yet but from my little knowledge I have Roar and Astonia in mind.

I am open to others (within my budget). Please advice.

Last edited:
astonia will be very good budget sub..i belive

Thanks.

These following subs are available within my budget:

Sonodyne Roarr 210 Subwoofer - Rs.20,800/-
Sonodyne Roarr 108 Subwoofer - Rs.16,900/-
Astonia audio - Rs.12-14000/- approx
Wharfedale PowerCube SPC-8 Subwoofer - Rs.28,000/-
Boston Acoustics ASW 650 Subwoofer - Rs.24,500/-
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/kef-c4subwoofer-powered-subwoofer/1409175 - Rs.25,000/-
Polk PSW 110 - Rs.17,000/-
Polk PSW 125 - Rs.22,000/-

Any other options around the budget of 20-25K?

Last edited:
Give serious consideration to the Polks. These are highly underrated.
Search around and see if you can score a Klipsh.

if 28 is within ur budget then u must try 30k wala velodyne impacts

Are you talking about 10" or 12"?

Give serious consideration to the Polks. These are highly underrated.

Search around and see if you can score a Klipsh.

Klipsh seems to have authorized dealers in Pune, Bangalore and New Delhi only.
Will definitely look into the polks. Do you think they go well with yamaha? Because most say that denon gel well with polk but I am not sure about the sub though.

And is there any other criteria which I should look into while opting for a sub?

I have a 373 with a Polk PSW 110. I got it for about 14.5k last year- check out the current prices. Its a decent sub which does well overall!

Try the Astonia df 10, it has a 10 inch driver more than enough for my 22x12 room. I have paired I with Marantz 5007 and Monitor Audio speakers. The price is around 14.9 k. The Polk that is being referred to now costs about 17 k before discounts. I wanted a downfiring one so went with Astonia.

And is there any other criteria which I should look into while opting for a sub?

Not really.. But here are some pointers...

Don't get hooked to size of the driver.... I know these things are little imposing...But resist yourself...

10" sub will do the Job for you...
Down-firing / Front firing is easy to place than a rear ported sub-woofer....

I would also suggest Astonia Subwoofer as it was given the "Best buy" by AVMax award for 15K...

Also look @ Sonodyne Roar 108...They are front ported...You will have some fleixibity in placement....

Sonodyne Roar 210 is also good for the price...I have heard them many times... But it is rear ported.. if you keep them approx 1 - 2 feet away from the wall, you are good to go...

It seems Sonodyne has increased price of its speakers by around Rs.2000/- in all segments. (what I found from hifimart though)

Has anyone checked directly with the showroom.

I am using the Astonia for the past few weeks- its a great product. Very good for movies and music. The recent AV Max issue has given it a "best buy" rating as well.
The Sept issue of the magazine also carries a review of the Yamaha sub- you can probably pick up the issue.

Thanks.

These following subs are available within my budget:

Sonodyne Roarr 210 Subwoofer - Rs.20,800/-
Sonodyne Roarr 108 Subwoofer - Rs.16,900/-
Astonia audio - Rs.12-14000/- approx
Wharfedale PowerCube SPC-8 Subwoofer - Rs.28,000/-
Boston Acoustics ASW 650 Subwoofer - Rs.24,500/-
KEF C4-SUBWOOFER powered subwoofer - Buy Online @ Best Price Rs.24700/- | Snapdeal - Rs.25,000/-
Polk PSW 110 - Rs.17,000/-
Polk PSW 125 - Rs.22,000/-

Any other options around the budget of 20-25K?

polk audio prices also revised..
Polk PSW 110 - Rs.18,500/-
Polk PSW 125 - Rs.23,000/-

Finally I have decided to go for Sonodyne. Mostly it is a value for money product and I am quite satisfied with the sound quality of the fronts (BS) and centre channels of Sonodyne which I have been using for the last six months.

Bought the Sonodyne Roarr 210 from South City Mall, Kolkata. The MPR was Rs.22,400/- (similar to Hifimart) and got a discount of 26%. The Sonodyne guys wanted to deliver it on Monday or Tue but I could not wait, so I drove to the warehouse and picked up the product myself within an hour of purchase. :yahoo::clapping:

Regarding the scope of 26% discounts being available at other cities, I asked the sales person and he particularly mentioned that they are not taking orders from Bangalore as the local dealers are creating problems. So the discount will be only available at Kolkata showroom and they will not ship with discounted price to other places especially Bangalore.

I have unpacked the sub, but I am unable to connect it. For that reason, I have opened this query thread. Please help.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back