Sub Woofer for Yamaha RX-V685

Brijesh

I have Bose 5.1 speaker system connected to Yamaha Rx-v685 receiver. Recently my sub woofer stopped working and needed a replacement of its DSP unit, which is very expensive. All my speakers are working except Sub Woofer.

I am thinking of connecting an additional Sub Woofer.
My queries are as follows
1 Can I connect additional Sub Woofer to prove Bass affect.
2. If yes , which is the cheap and best option.

Thanks

I have Bose 5.1 speaker system connected to Yamaha Rx-v685 receiver. Recently my sub woofer stopped working and needed a replacement of its DSP unit, which is very expensive. All my speakers are working except Sub Woofer.

I am thinking of connecting an additional Sub Woofer.
My queries are as follows
1 Can I connect additional Sub Woofer to prove Bass affect.
2. If yes , which is the cheap and best option.

Thanks

What you need to do is connect 5 cubes to the Bose sub and 5 wires come from there to the AVR.

Get a budget active subwoofer and connect the same as standalone to the RX V685.

The reason you need to connect the cubes to the subwoofer is because the crossover board is present. If you connect the cubes directly to the the RX V 685, the sound may not be that good quality.

I am venturing into the preowned market for 5 speakers and would not need the subwoofer at all since I have an existing high end one.

Other option is to check for preowned Bose sub sat sets and obtain a subwoofer as replacement to use the cubes.

Else, Sell this Bose 5.1 set as is and put a little more money and get another 5.1 set......

These are the options I could think of!

What you need to do is connect 5 cubes to the Bose sub and 5 wires come from there to the AVR.

Get a budget active subwoofer and connect the same as standalone to the RX V685.

The reason you need to connect the cubes to the subwoofer is because the crossover board is present. If you connect the cubes directly to the the RX V 685, the sound may not be that good quality.

I am venturing into the preowned market for 5 speakers and would not need the subwoofer at all since I have an existing high end one.

Other option is to check for preowned Bose sub sat sets and obtain a subwoofer as replacement to use the cubes.

Else, Sell this Bose 5.1 set as is and put a little more money and get another 5.1 set......

These are the options I could think of!
You mean to say the system Brijesh owns is a passive one?
In that case 5 speakers may be connected to the AVR directly and speakers set to small in the AVR. No need of the subwoofer for this route.

I think for BOSE 5.1 speakers to work it require BOSE SUB module too , which provides connection to it's speakers.'
Connection will be like :
AVR ---> SUB Module --> Speakers

We may not connect BOSE speaker directly from AMP / which sounds muddy and very flat to me when tried direct connection in the past.
Still the AVR --> BOSE speaker direct connection is possible and speakers will work , if the sound good to your ears , then u can add any 8" to 10" powered Subwoofer and connect SUB directly to AVR which will fulfill your setup.

But BOSE recommends only the above connection method . Since their SUB module works like DSP and sends extra bass Notes to speakers as well, which will be missed if we do direct connection.

Also U may try in used market to get BOSE SUB module.

You mean to say the system Brijesh owns is a passive one?
In that case 5 speakers may be connected to the AVR directly and speakers set to small in the AVR. No need of the subwoofer for this route.

Bose cubes need the subwoofer unit regardless if passive or powered as the crossover is in the subwoofer. I know this from direct experience years back.

If the cubes are connected directly, it will not sound as pleasant as it sounds when connected to the subwoofer.

Bose cubes need the subwoofer unit regardless if passive or powered as the crossover is in the subwoofer. I know this from direct experience years back.

If the cubes are connected directly, it will not sound as pleasant as it sounds when connected to the subwoofer.
They might not sound as pleasant but they can be connected directly. AVR processor can take care of crossover. We will only know when they are connected directly.

They might not sound as pleasant but they can be connected directly. AVR processor can take care of crossover. We will only know when they are connected directly.

I am aware as I did try all these stunts with the regular Bose cubes and even Jewel cubes...they sounded very bad even after Audyssey setup using a Marantz SR series.

I am aware as I did try all these stunts with the regular Bose cubes and even Jewel cubes...they sounded very bad even after Audyssey setup using a Marantz SR series.
If the bose crossovers are passive ones, then the system should still work by giving input to the subwoofer. Only the subwoofer will not work if it is powered one which seems to be the case in this thread.

Last edited:
If the bose crossovers are passive ones, then the system should still work by giving input to the subwoofer. Only the subwoofer will not work if it is powered one which seems to be the case in this thread.

Well it seems the crossover works as the OP @Brijesh mentioned that all speakers work properly except the sub.

Well it seems the crossover works as the OP @Brijesh mentioned that all speakers work properly except the sub.
Then the OP has two options:

1. Get a new active subwoofer and use it as a stand alone one along with the bose speakers. (Shall be expensive and space for an extra subwoofer will be needed)
2. Get an external subwoofer amplifier to power the bose subwoofer (less space will be required but it will be tricky to pull it off. Few youtube videos might help)

Then the OP has two options:

1. Get a new active subwoofer and use it as a stand alone one along with the bose speakers. (Shall be expensive and space for an extra subwoofer will be needed)
2. Get an external subwoofer amplifier to power the bose subwoofer (less space will be required but it will be tricky to pull it off. Few youtube videos might help)
Option 1 was suggested already by me, OP decision now,

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back