Sub woofer options/bass upgrade

Hi,

Currently have a leak stereo 130 with q acoustics 3020i in a decently sized room. Been running quite well but at this point, I’m considering to figure if more bass can be managed in this setup.

I’ve currently connected a Yamaha ns sw050 subwoofer via the amp’s pre-outs but not getting any real difference (the improvement is negligible).

Could I be doing something wrong?

Hi,

Currently have a leak stereo 130 with q acoustics 3020i in a decently sized room. Been running quite well but at this point, I’m considering to figure if more bass can be managed in this setup.

I’ve currently connected a Yamaha ns sw050 subwoofer via the amp’s pre-outs but not getting any real difference (the improvement is negligible).

Have you tried increasing/reducing the crossover and/or gain?

Hi,

Suggest you check the specs of Q Acoustics 3020i as in what is the possible low frequency they can emit.

Check the specs of SW050 which is the base model of Yamaha and has a low output and not too low frequencies. Suggest you see the higher models (depending on the size of your listening room / space.).

SW200 or SW300 would be ideal. Before investing on new subs, check the sub level. Being 50 watts RMS it cant throw loud bass but can provide some presence. If you are looking at room shaking bass then go for higher models. Check the specs before purchase. Budget is an issue then you can check Olx where there are a lot of subs being sold. Audition and then make purchases.

All the best!

I have and it’s still hardly any different vs just the speaker’s bass. Just trying to figure if I should even think about getting a new sub. Or maybe think of floorstanders.

This may come as cold comfort but there could be one of several factors. Firstly, your sub positioning could be sub optimal.
The difference can be as much as 10db between different positions so experiment with the sub crawm emthod. but instead of using your ears, use an SPL meter app.

Secondly, you may have nailed the speaker position in which case, the bass that the speakers are producing is already very good and you need to dial in your subwoofers properly. An FM had a JL E110 which is a monster of a sub (one of the best, flattest and deepest frequency responses i've heard, especially for a sub of that size - simply astounding and an absolute pleasure to have experienced it - shouout to @SuyashMoorpana ) but had the frequency and gain dialled suboptimally. A couple of Umik tests later, it was rumbling the houses above and below his apartment.

Thirdly, it could have to do with the fact that the SW050 has too little power. I had the SW300 and it used to distort horribly when the volume got a bit loud, especially during movies which have tremendous LFE during certain scenes. The SW050 has 1/5th the power of the SW300 and with a smaller driver size at that. Remember, the smaller the driver size e.g. 8", the lesser the sub can go loud than a sub of a larger size with the same power e.g. 10". Ergo, a sub with a 10" driver with 100w will go louder than a sub with an 8" driver with 100w.

Pls check the phase knob/switch on your subwoofer and experiment with it.
Keep it on the setting where you can hear maximum bass.

Edit: Just noticed the sub does not have a phase knob.

Other option is to take the subwoofer close to the corner next to the wall. Pls check your cable and connections too.

Hi,

I had also same kind of setup diamond 220 + Yamaha s50 sub. the sub is required to position far from the wall and volume is set at 30% of the sub to get the tight bass. if you add more volume of the sub it gets boomy.

your options are to get a expensive sub which does not sum up to use with the mentioned speakers.
Or you could get a decent floorstanding speaker pair to replace your current speakers.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back