Subwoofer affecting vocals?

firearm12

Today I experimented by adding a subwoofer to my stereo setup. Surprisingly in addition to adding bass, vocals and mids sound more heavy but not so crisp. Turning phase the other way does not affect vocals and mids so much but bass is also lowered. my mind is confused what is happening. Is this normal or something wrong with sub or I am missing something. Sub is supposed to cutoff at 42hz. it is connected directly to power Amp.

Hi, Which Sub and what all things in the chain.. Sub integration into stereo is bit tricky.. tweak cross over settings and sub volume to start with.
I'm running a REL sub with KEF R300s with great success. All the best.

Sub - sonus faber gravis domus older model 200w Amp - audiogd master 3/master 1 preamp
Speakers - quad z4.

I also tried with line output from preamp but effect is same. Vocals and mids sound more heavy and different actually maybe more musical but they dont have crispness anymore in high frequencies

Thanks everyone. Let me try adjusting gain and volume on sub today. Unfortunately i cannot change distance or adjust sub somewhere else in the room . my room is also modest 14x11ft

Turn the volume on the sub all the way down so that the sub gives no output at all. Is the effect that you experience still present?

Turn the volume on the sub all the way down so that the sub gives no output at all. Is the effect that you experience still present?

I tried to do that but i could not hear the effect while volume was all down on the sub. On careful listening i think its about to do with acoustics in the room, the moment i increase the volume, room starts getting filled up with bass and thats affecting soundstage and probably smearing up highs and mids.

After having some discussion with fm rikhav, I stuck a 2 inch wooden blocks below the foot of the sub. Now its raised and decoupled from floor, affecting vocals less and bass is also more open and better dispersed. I think i will keep it this way for time being.

N
After having some discussion with fm rikhav, I stuck a 2 inch wooden blocks below the foot of the sub. Now its raised and decoupled from floor, affecting vocals less and bass is also more open and better dispersed. I think i will keep it this way for time being.
Nice jugaad. :)
And we were getting all technical here.. :rolleyes:

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back