Subwoofer coil burnt - How?

shankarcams

The coil of my SVS SB16 Ultra driver seems to have burnt out.

The service support by Audiophile India, the distributors, has been simply outstanding and I could not have asked for better.

But I am curious how the coil of such a beast can possibly burn. The resultant SPL would blow my eardrums out! BTW the sub amp is fine.

A power surge .. by either external or internal circuit might be the cause. Do u have sub connected directly to mains ?

Sub and everything else is connected to high capacity online ups and then to mains.
I think my question was that I can understand the amp blowing if there is a power surge; but of amp does not blow but driver does....?

SVS is known for its outstanding service & with new distributor, it has gone to international level even in India.
The products are darn expensive for sure but they are backed up unmatched services which give you peace of mind for many years.
Cheers!

If you play a very low frequency(below 25Hz) SINE wave contineously at high volume for few minutes or more, then there is a possibility that the Voice coil may gets burnt.

I can only attribute the problem to the poor way of driver assembly on your unit and unfortunately, found its way out in QA checks. Given the layer of voice coil strength for this model, there is no way this driver would die like that. The prototype driver will go through rigorous amount of testing at a specific frequencies for hours before blowing up for the company to assess the acceptable limits and once it passes the tests, any drivers manufactured later with same configuration will never fail unless it breaches the threshold limit which I suspect as very unlikely in your case. No wonder why the amp didnt blew up because it has multiple protection. If you have been told what was the actual root cause, it is good to know.

I am finding your statement a bit vague as it leaves the readers to imagine what you may be trying to say.

Even many expert Subwoofer builders have blown many Indestructable drivers. So it is not an uncommon thing.

My point was the probability of failure during the parts assembly at the time of manufacturing could happen but it cannot be common (if the cause of issue is a manufacturing defect) If it was common, then the company cannot sustain in their business and lose the market share to others.

I am finding your statement a bit vague as it leaves the readers to imagine what you may be trying to say.

My point was the probability of failure during the parts assembly at the time of manufacturing could happen but it cannot be common (if the cause of issue is a manufacturing defect) If it was common, then the company cannot sustain in their business and lose the market share to others.
Just try running a 16hz sine wave on your subwoofer for few minutes at reference level, and you will know what I meant.
Do remember that some sub manufacturers even void the warranty if the sub gets blown away during a sine sweep.

Just try running a 16hz sine wave on your subwoofer for few minutes at reference level, and you will know what I meant.
Do remember that some sub manufacturers even void the warranty if the sub gets blown away during a sine sweep.

Why would I do that? I value my product because I know in all consciousness its a bad thing to do.

First of all, its a complete madness to do such tests which pushes the product beyond its working capabilities - especially having known what this may result in!

Secondly, as a buyer, it is important to showcase care towards the product by not doing what it may possibly damage it.

In my opinion Subwoofers should only be used to find improvement in our LISTENING experience and never ever should be tried to replicate something that can only be felt and not heard. We should not forget that after all it is a speaker and use it as one appropriately.

Your advise and recommendation and experimentation, unfortunately goes against the good working principles of electronics.

Why would I do that? I value my product because I know in all consciousness its a bad thing to do.

First of all, its a complete madness to do such tests which pushes the product beyond its working capabilities - especially having known what this may result in!

Secondly, as a buyer, it is important to showcase care towards the product by not doing what it may possibly damage it.

In my opinion Subwoofers should only be used to find improvement in our LISTENING experience and never ever should be tried to replicate something that can only be felt and not heard. We should not forget that after all it is a speaker and use it as one appropriately.

Your advise and recommendation and experimentation, unfortunately goes against the good working principles of electronics.
U asked how could a suboofer coil burn while it is made so well and i just explained u the available possibilities. That's all. When did i recommend u to burn your subwoofer cool.
Very rude response from ur side.
Perhaps Its my mistake that i responded to some one with this kind of mentality.
Sorry for all my posts in your thread....

Sub and everything else is connected to high capacity online ups and then to mains.
I think my question was that I can understand the amp blowing if there is a power surge; but of amp does not blow but driver does....?
Did the service guys give an idea of what could have happened? How is your sub hooked up? Do you have any external DSP running?

Any internal pics of the sub or the blown driver?

MaSh

U asked how could a suboofer coil burn while it is made so well and i just explained u the available possibilities. That's all. When did i recommend u to burn your subwoofer cool.
Very rude response from ur side.
Perhaps Its my mistake that i responded to some one with this kind of mentality.
Sorry for all my posts in your thread....
I never asked you the ways to burn out the voice coil. I was guessing the possibilities for how the OP would have burned his voice coil but you jumped in suddenly to advise something against the standard operating procedure of the sub. How can a advise about a DON"Ts of subwoofer be rude or wrong? something wrong with my mentality? Please understand your responsibilities as member of this forum should never mislead anyone into damaging their equipment.

Friends, Alphacentury100 has only suggested the possibility of the ill effects of a continuous sine wave on a subwoofer & the nullification of the warranty in this case by the manufacturer. It seems his post has been interpreted wrongly.
No offense to anyone, lets put our differences aside & move on as I am sure no one would intentionally ill advise anyone.

Friends, Alphacentury100 has only suggested the possibility of the ill effects of a continuous sine wave on a subwoofer & the nullification of the warranty in this case by the manufacturer. It seems his post has been interpreted wrongly.
No offense to anyone, lets put our differences aside & move on as I am sure no one would intentionally ill advise anyone.
Finally, some one who understands my post!
Thanks for the clarification, i appreciate it.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back