subwoofer not blending with home theater

kunal kant

hello every one,
i m using my home theatre last 6 months basically i m beginner just yesterday i purchase another sub klipsch r-120 sw but its not blending proper. actually bass very boomy at very low level, need suggestions plese help

my room is 365sq feet
my home theatre spec
AVR- Yamaha RXv-585
with taga harmony 501 v.2 (5.1 speakers)
sub- tsw 90 v.3 (90 watt rms)
new sub klipsch r-120sw(200 watt rms)
crossover set to 80hz

sub crossover set to 160hz
any other details required pls ask

Last edited:
hello every one,
i m using my home theatre last 6 months basically i m beginner just yesterday i purchase another sub klipsch r-120 sw but its not blending proper. actually bass very boomy at very low level, need suggestions plese help

my room is 365sq feet
my home theatre spec
AVR- Yamaha RXv-585
crossover set to 80hz

You are having two different subs. It won’t sound good. For dual you should go identical. Some do achieve good bass with different models mostly due to the help of REW and mini dsp.

hello every one,

my room is 365sq feet
my home theatre spec
AVR- Yamaha RXv-585
crossover set to 80hz

Since you have 2 different subs and assuming your avr has independent sub controls, try placing the subs at different places and fiddle around with XO settings independently. Ex: One sub at 80hz and other something different. Could make an improvement. Try with the klipsch sub alone and see which/what is causing the boom.

Were you happy with your original sub's performance wrt boominess? As Mayank suggested try just the new sub so you can eliminate variables.

hello every one,

my room is 365sq feet
my home theatre spec
AVR- Yamaha RXv-585
crossover set to 80hz

The seller of the Subwoofer should help you integrate the sub..

Integrating two different subs with very different capabilities, both in terms of power and frequency response, is going to be very tricky. Say, if one sub rolls off sharply at 30 hz, and the other at 20 hz, the 20hz sub has to push harder to fill that gap, or you will notice the difference that one sub is alone is doing the heavy lifting for a particular frequency band.
You can try placing the smaller sub near you so that some performance pressure is off the larger sub. Or, you could let the AVR do the bass management and room correction if it has dual sub pre outs. Experimentation is the key.

Integrating two different subs with very different capabilities, both in terms of power and frequency response, is going to be very tricky. Say, if one sub rolls off sharply at 30 hz, and the other at 20 hz, the 20hz sub has to push harder to fill that gap, or you will notice the difference that one sub is alone is doing the heavy lifting for a particular frequency band.
You can try placing the smaller sub near you so that some performance pressure is off the larger sub. Or, you could let the AVR do the bass management and room correction if it has dual sub pre outs. Experimentation is the key.
thanks buddy

You just put yourself on the steepest learning curve. Had you researched on dual subs before buying? Its not easy, but not impossible either.

You will have to treat each sub independently. Did you place the new sub in the old sub's spot? Do the sub crawl method to find the right spot for both subs. Since they are different, its not necessary one spot will suit both the subs.
crossover set to 80hz

Where have you set 80 and 160hz as crossovers?

MaSh

You just put yourself on the steepest learning curve. Had you researched on dual subs before buying? Its not easy, but not impossible either.

You will have to treat each sub independently. Did you place the new sub in the old sub's spot? Do the sub crawl method to find the right spot for both subs. Since they are different, its not necessary one spot will suit both the subs.

Where have you set 80 and 160hz as crossovers?

MaSh
AVR crossover set to 80hz
sub set to 160hz

hello every one,

my room is 365sq feet
my home theatre spec
AVR- Yamaha RXv-585
crossover set to 80hz

Try to play with db levels of the sub. My sub was also boomy I kept db at -11.5db form -2.5 db and it's not boomy anymore.

AVR crossover set to 80hz
sub set to 160hz
Set the Sub to max crossover value. In turn bypassing the sub's crossover filter. Let the receiver be the only one setting the cross over. Also, what gains are you running on both the subs?

Could you post a screen shot of what the receiver set the two subs at with respect to gain, distance, etc.?

MaSh

Option 1: Move the sub to various positions in the room to get the best integration.

Option 2: Find a member in your town who may be willing to drop in and help

Option 3: Offer to pay the dealer some amount to help you since he is unwilling to do for free.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back