Subwoofer stopped working

msankadi

Hi

I have a Boston acoustics 5.1 sound system connected to my Yamaha avr. Today i realized that the subwoofer has suddenly stopped working.

The green power light is coming on but there is no response from the sub itself. Tried all settings on the avr but that hasn't helped.

Can someone please suggest what to do next? How to get it repaired? It is pretty old so definitely not in warranty.

I reside in bangalore near Hebbal

Last edited:
Did you check the fuse?

There used to be an electronic service guy in Koramangala, behind Bethany school. Try searching on this forum, his contact details are mentioned somewhere. Sorry, I don't have them handy.

MaSh

Hi,
Take it to Mr. Johnson 9740272710.
He is based behind Amrita college, Kasavanahalli.
He serviced my sub and i found him knowledgeable and efficient.

Hi,
Take it to Mr. Johnson 9740272710.
He is based behind Amrita college, Kasavanahalli.
He serviced my sub and i found him knowledgeable and efficient.
Thanks for the recommendation. It is however 30 kms from my place in Thanisandra near Hebbal. Profx MG road is around 15 km. Would profx fix as well?

a) If the sub is powered, touch the audio input terminals to see if any noise from the speaker.
b) If the sub is not powered then scrape the speaker wires across the terminals of an AA cell and see if any sound.
If no sound in above, speaker is defective and needs to be taken to a center.
If sound in above,

Connect the sub output from AVR to any other speaker you may have, and play at VERY low level to see if any sound. Ensure you have 5.1 inputs such as Netflix etc.

a) If the sub is powered, touch the audio input terminals to see if any noise from the speaker.
b) If the sub is not powered then scrape the speaker wires across the terminals of an AA cell and see if any sound.
If no sound in above, speaker is defective and needs to be taken to a center.
If sound in above,

Connect the sub output from AVR to any other speaker you may have, and play at VERY low level to see if any sound. Ensure you have 5.1 inputs such as Netflix etc.
Thanks the sub is powered but no noise is coming while touching the input, which most likely means a defective sub right? I m just going to test once with new cable which is going to come via Amazon today otherwise will get the sub fixed

Yes.

Normally there would be an AC fuse that is either outside next to the AC power socket, or just inside. If that is blown it would be simple fix. Else you will need to take it to a center.

Yes.

Normally there would be an AC fuse that is either outside next to the AC power socket, or just inside. If that is blown it would be simple fix. Else you will need to take it to a center.
Unfortunately there is no readily visible fuse. I called profx too.. They said they can't repair Boston acoustics as they aren't authorized to get any parts for them.

He said I should look for a local repair shop as Boston acoustics doesn't have a repair system in India.

Any other leads for a good repair guy in bangalore? I have one above but 30 kms one way is way too far

Thanks for the inputs. Based on the feedback from here I had contacted Mr. Anil from Hi-Tech Service point. He was very responsive and arranged for a pickup/drop (at a reasonable cost). My house is 30 Km from his home (he is working wfh) and he himself came up for pickup and drop.

Overall the service charges were reasonable as well. The spare part itself was expensive compared to my expectations but I really don't have a benchmark to compare if it was high, my expectations might just be unreasonable.

He repaired and delivered it within 5-6 days. Very knowledgeable, humble, and cooperative.

Thanks for the inputs. Based on the feedback from here I had contacted Mr. Anil from Hi-Tech Service point. He was very responsive and arranged for a pickup/drop (at a reasonable cost). My house is 30 Km from his home (he is working wfh) and he himself came up for pickup and drop.

Overall the service charges were reasonable as well. The spare part itself was expensive compared to my expectations but I really don't have a benchmark to compare if it was high, my expectations might just be unreasonable.

He repaired and delivered it within 5-6 days. Very knowledgeable, humble, and cooperative.
I have an exact same issue but with Yamaha sub which is out of warranty. How much was the part replacement cost and which part was it if you know please?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back