Suggest a budget Stereo setup - 40K

Vijay_s

Based on the feedback from forum members (Thread: upgrade from norge 1000) decided to change entire setup instead of changing woofer & amp.

Suggest me a good stereo amp with matching bookshelf.

Budget 40K (bit stretchable)
Source - Pioneer CDP, PS3

Listening habbits: Hindi, western classics, R & B, Rock, Dance
Usage: 100% music

Desired

Should have a nice bass without seperate woofer (space constraint)
Should cater the music with quality at low volumes

Currently shortlisted:

MS Avaino 2/1 + Marantz 6003

Wharf+Norge not under consideration

Based on the feedback from forum members (Thread: upgrade from norge 1000) decided to change entire setup instead of changing woofer & amp.

Suggest me a good stereo amp with matching bookshelf.

Budget 40K (bit stretchable)
Source - Pioneer CDP, PS3

Listening habbits: Hindi, western classics, R & B, Rock, Dance
Usage: 100% music

Desired

Should have a nice bass without seperate woofer (space constraint)
Should cater the music with quality at low volumes

Currently shortlisted:

MS Avaino 2/1 + Marantz 6003

Wharf+Norge not under consideration

Avoid wharfedal if sapce is a constraint, since they are rear ported you will struggle with the placement.
Do look for dali lector 2 with marantz pm series, combined they reproduce very warm melodious sound, plenty of bass, excellent midrange, big soundstage.
Try to listen to this combo, am sure you will love this combination with all kind of genre.

Avoid wharfedal if sapce is a constraint, since they are rear ported you will struggle with the placement.
Do look for dali lector 2 with marantz pm series, combined they reproduce very warm melodious sound, plenty of bass, excellent midrange, big soundstage.
Try to listen to this combo, am sure you will love this combination with all kind of genre.

Any idea on the price of Dali lector 2?

Yes, Dali is a good choice but Marantz has service issues. Too many complaints. Good luck for your setup. :)

Audition of Cambridge +MS Avaino done at audio planet. it was quite satisfying ambiance and dealer was very co-operative.
Somehow I didn't like this combination owing to the brightness of those speakers.

Next audition was for PSB+NAD at Final touch, Quite unhappy about the place and availability of system for audition.
I been promised an audition and after reaching the place only came to know they have only psb5 and no stereo amplifier available for audition. It was connected to an AVR for audition.

EPos + xyz amplifier(sorry forgot the name) done @ swish hsr layout. This combination sounds similar to wharfadale 9.1 and norge.

Best learning was few of "SINCERE" suggestion in our community through forum and private message have some commercial intention hiding behind it.

I always have respect for dealer contacting me as a dealer because its a fair business. But I am quite uncomfortable with few dealers or their friends hiding behind the mask of genuine end-user and suggesting combination to forum users to fulfill their quest.

Buy a Floor Stander like Wharfedale 9.5:eek:hyeah: and buy a Used amp 7k to 10 K for time Being and upgrade at later stage.

Nothing ..... nothing beats the Toppings combo at low volumes ... upto 70 k

As avidyarthy said, buy a topping TP20 (~4K). Get the amp and head towards ARN systems in Bangalore and contact Mr. Sridhar there. Connect TP20 with Usher S520 (~23K) and you are all set. Add good quality interconnect at another 4K or so. And you are done within about 31K. If you are not satisfied with S520 (very unlikely), you can go for other speakers which goes well with TP20.

Buy a Floor Stander like Wharfedale 9.5:eek:hyeah: and buy a Used amp 7k to 10 K for time Being and upgrade at later stage.

i thought of telling the same with this

dude get a used stereo amp

then purchase a used CDP then go ahead with PSB book shelves

concentrate and buy speakers which are made in europe and usa they are really good

if you want best best best stereo set up go for pre power configuration

as far as consult a good used pre + power amp will cost you 20to25K

i have one denon cdp and stereo up for sale check out the sale section

At last I decided on speakers, bought PSB image B6 yesterday from Final touch bangalore.

Now hunt is on for matching amplifier, at present NAD 326 BEE is in my mind. Any suggestions on other brands?

hmmm

the PSB tribe in increases
p.S how much did you pay for the B6
i heard the new prices have gone up yet again

with PSB the NADs do go well , so do the marantz and so will the denon
thats what i liked about the specific model you have bought
goes well with all three budget amplification

note: however sound signature will differ
if you are looking for laid back flavour go with a NAD , marantz will be more detail oriented

Last edited:
Hi svkndv,

Congrats on your purchase, get NAD if you want laid back and warm sound, (it is recommended by PSB), if want more details, get a Marantz, with PM6003 you will get a rewarding experience. Also try to Audition Yamaha amps e.g AX497 (@ 85wpc) costing 19K was doing well with Wharfedale, also try their latest Yamaha AS-500 which is rated 5* in whathifi, maybe costing around 20k.

Allow 50 hrs for the speakers to burn-in, to get optimum SQ and also post your impressions about the speaker's SQ.

Wish you all the very best for amp-hunting.

N.Murali

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back