Suggest a good music bedroom positioning.

hfvuser

Ok so my bedroom is 11x12. It has a bed, study table, chair. I work on laptop.
I am wondering where should I keep my bookshelves (specially since there should be space between BS and where I should be sitting). Basically I need ideas, examples of how to position things (bed, table, chair, BS) in my bedroom. Figures, images would be ideal. thanks.

hfvuser, would you be listening to music from the speakers, sitting at your desk?
I think fellow members would find it hard to recommend/suggest without having any idea about the layout of your room or the equipment you have.

I think it's important to sit between or in line with speakers (right and left) to get correct stereo image. I suggest you to place speakers on the wall just opposite to your computer table where you sit most. So you get around 7 feet distance from speakers which is ideal for bookshelves.

Here is my current positioning. Where I sit currently, I cant place bookshelves anywhere as I will be too close to them. Any room positioning revamp suggestions?

Front:
frontsu.jpg

Front right:
frontright2.jpg

Front Left:
frontleft2.jpg

Right:
rightc.jpg

Left Back:
leftbacki.jpg

Right back:
rightback.jpg

With a close-to-square room, IMHO using the corner works best. A slightly asymmetric placement is also supposed to help. Something like this (with the chair being your bed):

I'd suggest using the corner to the LHS of your table. That way, you can probably lean back on your bed and enjoy the music. This placement should:

1) Give you enough distance between the speakers,
2) Give you enough distance between the speakers and you,
3) Give you reasonable distance behind center of the gap between the speakers,
4) And the bed should help enough with cutting reflections from the floor reaching you.

You can probably put the RHS speaker right next to the table (on the RHS of the table), and the LHS speaker right next to the TV. Once you set it us first, you can play around with the distance between the speakers and the distance between the speakers and the rear wall. You might need to move the book-rack and the table around a bit to adjust things, though.

@iaudio: i was hoping to.
@hydra: thanks for valuable suggestions.

I am open to more valuable suggestions.

Hydra, very well thought out!
But one thing, I think hfvuser wants to listen to the music as he works on his laptop. Will wait for him to confirm that.

@iaudio: yes, that was the initial intention & as you can see, my current setup is a 2.1 nearfield speakers. But bookshelves cant be placed where my current speakers are sitting.

@hydra: i just moved my bed as you suggested and saw that my bathroom door is getting blocked. Also, corner places are getting wasted a lot.

Any other ideas are also welcome. Thanks.

hfuser, what equipment are you going to use here?

That I will decide based on what can fit here. I am open to active monitors as well as BS+Amp. I have auditioned several BS and liked PSB Alpha B1 + NAD, (PSB Mini + NAD which i liked a lot but is very costly). Dali Lektor i liked but too big for me. Hated aviano2. I have not auditioned any active monitors and wharfedales. I am also open to Swan MK3.

If you want it to work within the constraints of your desktop, getting some active monitors which are good for nearfield listening would be your best bet.

@hfvuser, I didn't mean for you to shift the bed. After a second look, for the setup to work with the current position of the bed, the LHS speaker will need to be some distance to the left of the TV, and the RHS speaker more closer to the corner to the left of the table: Perhaps in front of the book rack, to the left of where your chair is.

I'd also echo what iaudio said about getting monitors. A friend of mine was using a pair of PSB Alpha B1 with a very good DIY amp in a room of nearly the same dimensions as yours. Even with a lot of effort and textbook placement methodology the bass was a bit overpowering in that room. Monitors would also good for nearfield listening, esp. if you want to use your computer/laptop while listening to music.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back