Suggest Best Network Streaming Media Player

pblnrao

Hi All,

I am searching for a best network media player which can play my movie collection from network (Either from a shared folder or Network storage).
with in budget not more than 10k

Checked below list

Raspberry Pi 2 1 GB RAM, Quad Core (comes around 4k, includes case, sd card)

Android TV Box (From China) Around 5k. Just thinking as its china make.
Sony BDP 5200 / 6200 (Around 9k - need to get from USA, these models not available in india)
Apple TV
WD TV (Around 10k)

Does raspberry pi play h.265 files? If yes then go for it. Cos many files these days are h.265, and sadly Wd doesn't play these.
Not to sure about h.265 on android.tv stick/box

You may also want to consider AC Ryan Playon HD mini...

If you are looking for pre-owned stuff, I have an xtreamer pro lying idle since I moved to Dune.

WD supports h.264, its there in its spec sheet.

In rasberry Pi 2, we need to install xmbc and use. its linux based.

WD TV - Media Player
H.265 is the next technology in terms of data compression compared to H.264
Most of the media devices will not have means to play such files.

However, if you have android box, then it is possible that the android box allows future updates that will enable it to play H.265 files.

By the way, I won't be that much worried about H.265 format. It is new and will take time to catch.
And we still have XVID files floating around (introduced a decade back)

Last edited:
Rasp pi 2 does not have the juice to play H.265 files, plus currently there is no hardware decoding support for HEVC in any build of Kodi . So either get a fast CPU oriented media player or wait kodi to release Hardware decoding for H.265. For media player I would suggest Minix-H8 Plus

Rasp pi 2 does not have the juice to play H.265 files, For media player I would suggest Minix-H8 Plus

Sam, minix NEO X8 h Plus is around 15k in shoplcues, ebay, etc.
is it worth putting 15k for a media player.

currently i will not have 4K videos in near future. I think no need to think of H.265 codec. My editing team at office informed that H.265 is new compression, but we don't find videos with H.265 encoded as frequently as H.264. It might take a year or 2 to be more popular and in daily use. They are recommending to go with 1080p which is sufficient for home purpose. by the time H.265 becomes popular i can update to new box, by that time even sellers will increase which result in decreased price.

So can anybody suggest me media player which supports 1080p with decent price and performance around 5k.

currently i will not have 4K videos in near future. I think no need to think of H.265 codec. My editing team at office informed that H.265 is new compression, but we don't find videos with H.265 encoded as frequently as H.264. It might take a year or 2 to be more popular and in daily use. They are recommending to go with 1080p which is sufficient for home purpose. by the time H.265 becomes popular i can update to new box, by that time even sellers will increase which result in decreased price.

So can anybody suggest me media player which supports 1080p with decent price and performance around 5k.

I have a small factor HTPC for sale in the forum which should suffice all your requirements as you can install any kind of software players to playback all kinds of movie/music files. As its a full fledged PC in a small form factor you can use it for browsing and other things as well. It comes with all things included except a internal HDD (I am giving away a 4GB RAM pre-installed). If you do not want to invest right now in a HDD then you can just use a pendrive and run "Openelec" which is a freeware Linux based XBMC media player and you are good to go. PM me if it interests you.

Thanks

15K!!!! geekbuying is selling it for around 10, including shipping if I am not wrong .... please check at their site ....

For 10k you can go for a dedicated HTPC setup instead of a streaming media player , Raspberrry pi is a good option but buying all components will push the cost towards 6K , for the extra 4K you spend you will get much more processing power .

For 10k you can go for a dedicated HTPC setup instead of a streaming media player , Raspberrry pi is a good option but buying all components will push the cost towards 6K , for the extra 4K you spend you will get much more processing power .

raspberryPi doesn't have optical out.

What would be prime difference and suggested between Asus Omini and Roku3, my source will be external hdd and next will be other online content.

Thanks

Roku 3 is strictly for online streaming only, it is NOT a media player and has a very limited capability in that sense, so make sure you know what your priorities are.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back