Suggest : Good Sub Woofer - Budget 25k Max

elangoas

I have an Onkyo 7.1 Channel HTIB. The suwoofer offlate is not convincing.

Last week i had been to e-zone chennai, i auditioned there Jamo series with Onkyo amplifier. The rep there told me that this package costs 3 lakhs. Of the total package i liked the Jamo SUB C 80.I have no words to express the way i was impressed with it. To me it was THE sub to get. Looks like it was a Dipole Subwoofers with 2 * 10' woofers working. But unfortunately looks like it will cost a bomb. No idea abt where Jamo is aval in Chennai.

For my price point mentioned above, i have selected few and wanted to audition them.
1) Polk Audio DSW series 400,500,600
2) Sonodyne Roarr series 108, 210, 2815 & SLF 200.

When i checked the Sonodyne products only Roarr 2815 was the only sub which had 2* 8' woofers. i presume it was dipole. Wanted to auditon them in chennai. But unfortunately the dealer said that 2815 has been discont.. The remaing are aval in a weeks time it sems.

I feel that when going for the international brands, we need to shell out a little more ( Excise duty paid by the importer + shippping cost + on top of that VAT) making them expensive atleast by 10K.

I dont know much abt subwoofers. What are the features to look for and what are the most important to consider when buying a subwoofer. Can u all plz help !!!!!

hope this helps

of all the subs of sonodyne this particular sub sounded the best to me , i auditioned this in bangalore /forum mall abt 6-7 months back and if i remeber right it was under 25k , even more it had a remote

chk it out if it helps
Studio > SLF Series

this is quiet a powerfulsub and was on par with the velodyne CHT12R which i had owned at that time, integrating it with the onkyo Htib may be a task though

Last edited:
Search Forum. This exact topic has been discussed. Many times. Again and Again. Ad Infinitum...and so on...and so forth...

hope this helps

of all the subs of sonodyne this particular sub sounded the best to me , i auditioned this in bangalore /forum mall abt 6-7 months back and if i remeber right it was under 25k , even more it had a remote

chk it out if it helps
Studio > SLF Series

this is quiet a powerfulsub and was on par with the velodyne CHT12R which i had owned at that time, integrating it with the onkyo Htib may be a task though

This sub is listed in Studio Monitor section of Sonodyne web page. Witll they make a good choice for Movies/ Music listening @ home ?

Yeah i am waiting for this sub to audition. The dealer said that he will get this sub probably in a weeks time. He said he will call me up once he receives the subwoofer.

May i know why did you mention integrating this sub with Onkyo HTIB a task. Is is got to do something technically. Plz clarify...

I bought e dsw pro 500 for 22k, good stuff, comes with a remote looks simple and most of all sounds good.

On the ProFx website it is mentioned as 25K. Good that you got it for 22K.

Can you please elaborate on its performance for music/movies... Just out of curiosity. before i audition it next week in their showroom...

This sub is listed in Studio Monitor section of Sonodyne web page. Witll they make a good choice for Movies/ Music listening @ home ?

Yeah i am waiting for this sub to audition. The dealer said that he will get this sub probably in a weeks time. He said he will call me up once he receives the subwoofer.

May i know why did you mention integrating this sub with Onkyo HTIB a task. Is is got to do something technically. Plz clarify...

standalone subs are more powerful than the subs of an Htib pack, u have not mentioned your model, usualy htibs lack power unless its seperates so to sync a new sub with rest cud take an effort

Last edited:
I have ONkyo HTS-790 HTIB. Sub woofer model is SKW 540.

QUOTE]

Sir,
Can you explain exactly the area where you did observe that this sub is not performing well. I too had this sub earlier and I did not like its performance when I switch to 2 channel music. It did not have the musical punch . But with Movies It did perform well. If you fell that this is not doing justice to on musical notes better Opt for SW 150 better SW250 if available.

Regards

I have ONkyo HTS-790 HTIB. Sub woofer model is SKW 540.

QUOTE]

Sir,
Can you explain exactly the area where you did observe that this sub is not performing well. I too had this sub earlier and I did not like its performance when I switch to 2 channel music. It did not have the musical punch . But with Movies It did perform well. If you fell that this is not doing justice to on musical notes better Opt for SW 150 better SW250 if available.

Regards

Exactly. U mentioned the drawbacks of the subwoofer. When i play them on stereo mode (2.1), there is no punch. But it is good for movies. After going thru a lot of threads on this forum, i understood HTIB's are not good for Stereo playback..

But anyways. I am planning for Sonodyne series subwoofer & Polk Audio DSW Series. Will consider Wharf SW 150. But from what i learnt from the forum is the SW 150 is only good for music...

that looks like a nice 7.1 package

try to get a home audition with the new sub with your system before purchase, that shud help

Yes it was a nice package until i auditioned some of the better speakers (wharf 9.2, Sonodyne 2605, PSB Image) & Subwoofers (Jamo C80 & few others) Only then i realised what i have missed so far....

When i initially wanted to buy the HT, i never thought (Not much knowledge) i can start with a FS first and then add each components induvidually... Now that i know things better, will recommend people....

that looks like a nice 7.1 package

try to get a home audition with the new sub with your system before purchase, that shud help

When i looked @ the manual, i was shocked to see that the surrounds crossover were 10Khz. The better sounding & best surround speakers have a crossover of maximum 3 - 4Khz. Now i realise how much my surrounds are good.:sad:

Yes it was a nice package until i auditioned some of the better speakers (wharf 9.2, Sonodyne 2605, PSB Image) & Subwoofers (Jamo C80 & few others) Only then i realised what i have missed so far....

When i initially wanted to buy the HT, i never thought (Not much knowledge) i can start with a FS first and then add each components induvidually... Now that i know things better, will recommend people....

thats great u realised abt HTIBs :)

Now a second thought on buying a subwoofer

I had auditioned Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V2 FS last week. I was very much impressed with it. Just thinking better i would upgrade my Bookshelf speakers on my Onkyo HTIB to these FS (Approx 25K). Very good bass.

My only concern was when i was playing stereo CD's on Stereo mode (2.1), i didn't get enough punch on the subwoofer. It is good for Movies. So upgrading to FS should be able to fill the gap.

Your thoughts on this please...

Now a second thought on buying a subwoofer

I had auditioned Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V2 FS last week. I was very much impressed with it. Just thinking better i would upgrade my Bookshelf speakers on my Onkyo HTIB to these FS (Approx 25K). Very good bass.

My only concern was when i was playing stereo CD's on Stereo mode (2.1), i didn't get enough punch on the subwoofer. It is good for Movies. So upgrading to FS should be able to fill the gap.

Your thoughts on this please...

dont expect the Htib amp to drive the FS well
htibs meant for casual movie watching
expect good results for 2 channel music only with a stereo amp or a pre/power

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back