Suggest Preamplifier matching to Marantz poweramp

nmursekar

Hi guys,
I have Marantz mm7025 poweramp.
Pls suggest me a matching stereo preamplifier.
Preamplifier with digital inputs and balanced audio outputs would also be the option.
Will be driving Jamo c606 floorstands.
My Budget for preamp would be 40-50k
Currently im using pre section of Nad 320bee as pre out. But want to use that seperately for other setup with bookshelf speakers.
I have browsed so far :
1) sonodyne DAC p1, DAC cum pre with balanced outputs. (23.6k approx)
2) Cambridge audio dacmagic plus.(33k approx.)
3) Nad c165bee preamplifier(79k approx.)
4) emotiva xsp-1 preamp (1.07k approx)
5)CA 851 e preamplifier (1.02k approx)
6) parasound halo p5 (100k approx)

Parasound, Nad and CA are above my budget.

Suggeations from expert FMs are appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Well you need digital input,else you can think of DCB1.
Yesterday I paired same power amp with DCb1 and it matched perfectly.
Sound was musical.

@spirovious: Yes. Most of my music content is digital FLAC or wav formats and some of mp3 in 320 bit rate. That's why i was thinking to have preamp with digital inputs.
Or otherwise i will have to invest in a dedicated DAC altogether.
The source currently im using is pocorn hour a410 media player with ess sabre DAC built in.
I've read abt. DCB1 and it has good reviews.

A DAC + Pre? Such as the Emotiva Stealth DC-1, comes highly regarded by those who are using it, I am getting one, on its way.

A Dac can drive a power amplifier but i believe a real preamplifier will give you better performance because of beefier circuit and better output voltage like the Emo has upto 7 volts. A dac will give less voltage so your power amplifier will have to work much harder and will produce more distortion. Its always cleaner to amplify a good strong input rather than a weak one.

My first pic Emotiva XSP-1 (dual differential) and the Parasoung second pic.

I think parrasound halo p5 would a great pic in that price range above100k. It also has digital inputs with twin burr brown DAC chips, plus oversized torroidal transformer to meet the voltage requirements for poweramp.
Sound signature is also good for parasound.
But i haven't auditioned xsp1, so cant really compare the two.
Any one who has auditioned both parasound p5 and emotiva xsp1, pls share your experience.

I should have a Emo XSP-1 in a weeks time. There are various reviews on the net about its sound signature being very neutral and it just maximizes the DAC sound signature.

The parasound is also good established brand, i personally dont like how it looks. It does not have dual differential configuration if you ever plan to go that route. HP/LP cross over goes down to 30 hz vs 50 hz in the Emotiva. I on personal note feel the build quality is not at par with the MRP, the emo looks built like a tank.

I was just reading the reviews on various forums, where i had seen Nad c165bee preamplifier also has good reviews. A very warm sound signature and very musical.

audiodelic,

Have you received your emotiva xsp-1?

Would want to learn your experience and feedback. Which poweramp have you got/getting to pair with xsp-1?

Guys,
If anyone has Emotiva usp1 stereo preamplifier, pls share the expereience.
im likely to get used one from frnd. Needs to be repaired.
Also pls do let me know abt the /service centres in pune or Mumbai.

Guys,

If you are into DIY then I would suggest to try the Kuarlatron buffer with may be a SSP. As you are in Pune try out by borrowing from any of the local FMs and see if you like the combo, I can say you will not be disappointed.

If you are into DIY then I would suggest to try the Kuarlatron buffer with may be a SSP. As you are in Pune try out by borrowing from any of the local FMs and see if you like the combo, I can say you will not be disappointed.
Thanks for the suggeation.
Im not into DIY, neither know local fm out here in pune.
But the suggestion is good. Will definitely try to look for it.
I was actually looking for emotiva service in pune or mumbai. But couldnt get the lead.
I think DIY experts will be able to help me on this.
I will put the problems with Emo usp1 preamp in a seperate post/thread.

A Dac can drive a power amplifier but i believe a real preamplifier will give you better performance because of beefier circuit and better output voltage like the Emo has upto 7 volts. A dac will give less voltage so your power amplifier will have to work much harder and will produce more distortion. Its always cleaner to amplify a good strong input rather than a weak one.

i think it's a good point, is there a recommendation as to how much min watts a power amplifier has to be fed for best performance? Is there a device which can be used to measure watts?

Thanks for the suggeation.
Im not into DIY, neither know local fm out here in pune.
But the suggestion is good. Will definitely try to look for it.
I was actually looking for emotiva service in pune or mumbai. But couldnt get the lead.
I think DIY experts will be able to help me on this.
I will put the problems with Emo usp1 preamp in a seperate post/thread.

I have IFI-ITUBE preamp/buffer. You can try it with your amp. I am going to use it with jean-hiraga amp shortly. your contact details PM me.
cheers
Dheeraj

Guys,

I used to have the USP1 (paired with a Parasound power amp), but found the USP1 too bright for my taste. I probably don't have the right adjectives but the sound was not what I wanted - it sounded harsh.

I sold the USP1 and bought an Audio GD DAC instead which also has a well implemented volume control so I was using it as a preamp and DAC. The sound was leagues better and at least to my taste. It sounded a lot more rounded, meatier, warm, etc. But most importantly, I was enjoying the music, and wanted to listen to music for extended periods of time.

P.S. You can also look at other decent quality DAC options like Benchmark which also act as a preamp (volume control) and give balanced out. I would recommend Audio GD as well based on personal experience and the quality of sound. They have many balanced out models. They also ship from China to all over the world, including India.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back