Suggestion for 1 TB external Hard Disk NTFS File System

kannan_r

Hi,
Six months back I bought a Western Digital 1 TB external Hard Disk for close to 5K. It was fine until I tried to copy a 4 GB HD movie and got an error message "Not enough space" despite having more than 100 GB free space.
After reading other threads, I suspect the culprit should be FAT32 File System .

Q1) Is there any OS command to identify the File System of a Hard Disk ?

Now I need to buy one more 1 TB external Hard Disk and this time I want to make sure it is NTFS File System. Heard WD is more stabilized than Seagate (not sure). Also heard that 1.5 TB cost is almost 9.5K (which means I can almost buy 2 individual 1 TB almost for the same cost).

Q2)So pls suggestion me a good NTFS 1 TB external Hard Disk which is under 5K.

Last edited:
there can be two situations..either the fat32 file system or bad corroupt sectors...however first try converting it to ntfs that will also increase the speed of data transfer ( read ,buffer and write) if that does not work... right click > properties > tools> then error checking > also just keep the first box checked... then start will take about 5-10 mins..this shud fix it..

Kannan,
I have a 640 GB WD external drive. These drives as preformatted as FAT32. However you can surely convert it to NTFS using "Paragon Harddisk manager". They will tell that its totally safe but I will say proceed with caution. I must tell you it will take a lot of time and something goes wrong in between, you will lose all the data. It happened with me, but I was somehow managed to salvage almost all the data (Using data recovery software) . 5GB was lost.
All the very best.

Hi,
Six months back I bought a Western Digital 1 TB external Hard Disk for close to 5K. It was fine until I tried to copy a 4 GB HD movie and got an error message "Not enough space" despite having more than 100 GB free space.
After reading other threads, I suspect the culprit should be FAT32 File System .

Q1) Is there any OS command to identify the File System of a Hard Disk ?
Now I need to buy one more 1 TB external Hard Disk and this time I want to make sure it is NTFS File System. Heard WD is more stabilized than Seagate (not sure). Also heard that 1.5 TB cost is almost 9.5K (which means I can almost buy 2 individual 1 TB almost for the same cost).

Q2)So pls suggestion me a good NTFS 1 TB external Hard Disk which is under 5K.

most of the people have provided you a solution, however I suspect you were under the notion that you need to specifically "buy" a NTFS/FAT HDD. which is not the case. You buy a HDD and decide what file system you want and then formatt the drive using that file system. Today all go by NTFS, there are advantages of NTFS over FAT32, like NTFS uses disk space more efficiently, NTSF is faster, has better security etc etc.

All OS can varify your file system, all you need is right click on the drive go to properties and looks for file system.

How to convert, spirovious is already given you a good link, however its always advisable to formatt the disk with your desired filesystem on the very first day of your purchase so that you do not have to run in to any sort of trouble once the data has been copied.....

Many External HDDs come pre-formatted in FAT32 because they can be used by Both - PCs and Macs.

NTFS is a PC only format.

Ofcourse, PC users are encouraged to shift to the better NTFS format..

Surprisingly Samsung 1.5TB is reported to be better & fast-
Samsung harddisk ROCKS!!! - Storage Solutions | TechEnclave

convert fat32 to NTFS-
How to Convert FAT Disks to NTFS

Thanks for the link and with the CitiCard offer I placed an order for Samsung 1.5TB (4590/-)

From the following review:http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/1.5tb-hdd-caviar,2331-3.html
it is almost similar in performance as 7200rpm drives and it outperforms them in some test cases (esp the power consumption during continuous HD playback etc)

Last edited:
however its always advisable to formatt the disk with your desired filesystem on the very first day of your purchase so that you do not have to run in to any sort of trouble once the data has been copied.....
Make sense.
Between, when I tried to Format my old 8GB pen drive which had a FAT32 File System to NTFS , there was no NTFS option itself in the format window (by default).
Then googled a bit to bring the NTFS option explicitly. Check this link,
NTFS.com Format USB Flash Drive to NTFS file system.

Make sense.
Between, when I tried to Format my old 8GB pen drive which had a FAT32 File System to NTFS , there was no NTFS option itself in the format window (by default).
Then googled a bit to bring the NTFS option explicitly. Check this link,
NTFS.com Format USB Flash Drive to NTFS file system.

yes that is the way......but mind you NTFS file system is delicate on flash drives. If you do decide to faormatt your pen drive with NTFS you need to be absolutely sure that you use "Safely remove Hardware" option every time, unless ofcouse you want to corrupt your data/drive.

hi friends,
i've set my mind on buying Xtreamer but as the package does not include include a HDD im opting to buy an external HDD preferably 1TB storage space to play via USB.
- Im confused abt are there any copmatibility issue an HDD cud have with Xtreamer that we shud consider while buying an external HDD,like NTFS/FAT,SATA..etc
im new to all this,
pls any good samaritans out there help me !

Any of the external drives (with USB) should work for you. Like already mentioned in this thread, after your purchase format your HDD using your PC to NTFS. Only then transfer data into your new HDD and connect to media player

hi friends,
i've set my mind on buying Xtreamer but as the package does not include include a HDD im opting to buy an external HDD preferably 1TB storage space to play via USB.
- Im confused abt are there any copmatibility issue an HDD cud have with Xtreamer that we shud consider while buying an external HDD,like NTFS/FAT,SATA..etc
im new to all this,
pls any good samaritans out there help me !

Go for xtremer pro and opt for an internal HDD, much better to manage and maintain, however if you wanna carry your data as well, get a portable 320GB HDD. This would serve your both purpose........Also make sure you formatt your disk with NTFS before you start copying the data......

thanx guys !

p.s sam9s i will be buying Xtreamer pro, besides the point u mentioned i've read that it actually offers HD audio unlike the Xtreamer .

After trying out several things I have settled down on WD Passport for portable and Seagate for 3 1/2 inches.

One suggestion, go for 1.5TB or 2TB if you can live with a 3 1/2 inches (it needs a power connection). You typically fill up these things sooner than expected. You can get a Seagate 1.5TB for 7K+, and 2TB for around 9K+.

Thanks,
Sharad

yup.... thats called tech advancements.. with usb 3.0 coming in market.. companies are trying to sell all they got and huge competetion in market.. lets grab some good drives..

with usb 3.0 firewire/esata/usb 2.0 will be things of past..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back