Suggestion for 5.1 Setup

Prashant489

Hi,

I am planning to setup my first 5.1 home theater. I have been waiting for this from long time finally I decided to buy one. I am planning to setup my HT in dedicated room and the room size is 10W X 10L X 9H. I have auditioned Polk, KEF, Klipsch, Monitor Audio, Jamo. Out of which I liked the Monitor Audio Silver 200 because of the crispness and clarity of the sound it produced but it was out of budget. One of the dealer in Pune was quoting about 1.6L for it.

So I started searching for some FS that where similar to MA Silver 200. After hearing many brands I decided to go for Klipsch RP-260 package. Can some one tell me whats the price of RP-260F. It costing me 1L in Pune. Also I am planning to so for different Sub apart from Klipsch RP 260 package. I read good reviews for SVS and BIC sub.

Can some one suggest me for which sub to go for SVS SB-1000 or BIC PL 200 or Klipsch R-112SW according to my room size.

Do you guys think the klipsch RP-260F will over kill by room size and also can Denon x2400h has sufficient power to drive the RP-260.

Setup I want to buy:

1) Klipsch RP-260F (front)
2) Klipsch RP-440C (center)
3) Klipsch RP-240S (surround)
4) SVS SB-1000 / BIC PL-200 / Klipsch R-112SW
5) Denon x2400

I am open for suggestions from the experts.

Thanks

room size is 10W X 10L X 9H

I am open for suggestions

Suggest you to re-consider AV & speakers combination.. Since you are considering Klipsch, i suppose you have good budget..

Consider a 9.2 AVR (out of the box) , Denon x 4300, Marantz SR6012 (or) other brands too..Spend more on AVR, atleast 5.1.4 capable set-up..

If you have false ceiling, even more easier to add 4 inceiling speakers for atmos..

If you don't have false ceiling, consider satellite speakers like Polk OWM 3/5 (or) from Klipsch, as it easier to mount them on wall (or) tilt to your listening position..Consider getting 9 speakers.. 5 of them for your fronts & surrounds & 4 of them on the ceiling and any subwoofer of your choice/ liking..

Which sub to go for SVS PB 1000 or SVS SB 2000. I am considering Denon x3400 according for room size.

Before you spend your fun money, I would suggest what room treatment you have in mind. What kind of furniture you might have in it. Considering you have a 10X10 square room,it will be important that the room behaves with those large speakers.

The room already has wooden flooring and I am also planning to do some room treatment. About furniture there will be 2 wooden cupboards and a sofa.

Roughly map out where the TV /screen goes, then the sofa/ cupboards etc. Make sure you get to have breathing space for the speakers as they are rear ported. Stacking them against a wall usually degrades the performance quiet a bit. You might also want to hold off on the center.https://www.cnet.com/news/attention...twice-before-buying-a-center-channel-speaker/
Get the fronts and rear first and see what it feels like. If you still need it, go for it. Also hold off on the sub and do the same.Those speakers can always be added on later if need be.

Roughly map out where the TV /screen goes, then the sofa/ cupboards etc. Make sure you get to have breathing space for the speakers as they are rear ported. Stacking them against a wall usually degrades the performance quiet a bit. You might also want to hold off on the center.https://www.cnet.com/news/attention...twice-before-buying-a-center-channel-speaker/
Get the fronts and rear first and see what it feels like. If you still need it, go for it. Also hold off on the sub and do the same.Those speakers can always be added on later if need be.
Thanks a ton for this link, tuff .
Buying a centre channel would have costed a lot to match my speakers.
I was wondering since a long time if I really need a centre channel as Only I care for it. And if I sit in the center I don't need a centre channel.
Now I can add the surround channels which won't cost much .

Can the centre channel be turned off in oppo 203?

Thanks for the suggestion tuff, will buy FS and surround first if needed then will think over Center and sub.

Thanks a ton for this link, tuff .
Buying a centre channel would have costed a lot to match my speakers.
I was wondering since a long time if I really need a centre channel as Only I care for it. And if I sit in the center I don't need a centre channel.
Now I can add the surround channels which won't cost much .

Can the centre channel be turned off in oppo 203?

No you don't need a Center channel speaker if and only if your room dimensions are perfect and your seating positions are in the right place. The receiver will auto detect the available speakers and setup itself up.

MaSh

No you don't need a Center channel speaker if and only if your room dimensions are perfect and your seating positions are in the right place. The receiver will auto detect the available speakers and setup itself up.

MaSh
What if I connect my active speakers directly to the oppo player. Will it auto detect?

What if I connect my active speakers directly to the oppo player. Will it auto detect?

Does the Oppo player have an auto setup routine? Can you connect 5.1 speakers to it? If yes, then it should be able to detect what all speakers are connected to it. However, if not, then no you will have to manually set what speakers system you are going to connect to it, like 2.0, 2.1, 5.1 etc.

MaSh

Does the Oppo player have an auto setup routine? Can you connect 5.1 speakers to it? If yes, then it should be able to detect what all speakers are connected to it. However, if not, then no you will have to manually set what speakers system you are going to connect to it, like 2.0, 2.1, 5.1 etc.

MaSh
Didn't buy yet.. So no idea...
Anyone having oppo can you try?

Didn't buy yet.. So no idea...
Anyone having oppo can you try?

But why do you want to connect speakers to a player? Why not use oppo as a source and hook it to a receiver? Hooking 5.1 speakers directly to Oppo would mean getting an active set of 5.1 or 2.1 speakers which might be at the same level as a conventional setup.

MaSh

But why do you want to connect speakers to a player? Why not use oppo as a source and hook it to a receiver? Hooking 5.1 speakers directly to Oppo would mean getting an active set of 5.1 or 2.1 speakers which might be at the same level as a conventional setup.

MaSh
I already have active speakers.(2.1)
Buying both ( receiver and oppo) will be expensive

If ur planning for room acoustic treatments -For ur room size u can consider 5.2.2 setup if not atleast 5.1.2 minimum.
Active speakers should be costly ,more over for each speaker u need to provide power cables /sockets/switches etc... However u r not going to connect AV processor to it. So Best is to get an AVR and matching speakers according to ur taste and enjoy.
Regarding sub ,I have heard SVS PB2000 ,very impressive and powerful sub which goes deep & loud. .Other option is to go for a dual sub which will be much better than a single sub setup.Check ur budget and plan accordingly.
An AVR of minimum Denon x2400 /other equavalent models can do the job.For even better u can go for x3400/4400 or Marantz SR 6012 depending upon budget.

Klipsch are very good for movies ...(not pleasant for music). But it is very highly overpriced in India.
Some of the other speaker brands u can consider are as follows
Taga Harmony (VFM and best budget )
Polk RTi series
Dali Zensor series speakers
Mission speakers
Airmotiv speakers from emotiva.

Go for Klipsch if you want your system specifically for home theater. They have superb Dynamics.
What's your total budget? And what all you want in that budget ?
Get your room acoustically by a experienced person. This will make day and night difference.
Make sure the bass is treated properly.
I made these mistakes and I regret big time.
No speaker can compensate for a bad room.

I know we don't like to spend much on acoustics.
I was stupid . :(
Don't make the same mistakes and then regret late.

You can also look for pro audio systems if you can place the speakers behind the walls.

Check qsc or jblpro.

Btw amplification matters too. And you are neglecting that.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back