Suggestion for buying a 32/40 inch tv

anindya82

Hi,

Could any of you please give suggestions to buy a new LED TV:

Purpose:
1. Watch Cable TV (Siti cable)! (most of the time!).
.we get only sd channels,,my parents watch serials for most of the time and I sometime watch movies in weekends.
sd channel proper viewing is a priority since my parents are into watching serials,,
2.watch hd movies by attaching pen drive/external hard disk.
3.if wifi connection n other options are available its good ..but it is not a priority.
4.sound quality should be good as in some led tvs I have heard that sound quality/loudness is not upto the mark.

Budget: 30-40 k..will be buying by emi option.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

There are a lot of brands available today and it does indeed get difficult to select the right one....for starters, please go through the below links to understand the basic difference...

LCD vs LED vs Plasma

LED vs LCD vs plasma TV - Which? Technology

Can LED LCD look as good as plasma? - CNET

CNET's guide to 3D TV: What you (still) need to know - CNET

Whats the Difference Between Active 3D and Passive 3D TVs? | eBay

Now once you made up your mind to go for LED or Plasma or 3D, you can now shift your attention to the size, features required, connectivity options (HDMI + AV), USB for movies + music etc. etc. Good sound means having a TV with front firing speakers...

Visit a electronics store like Reliance Digital / Vijay Sales / Croma etc and see the TVs side by side...look at the TV from all angels and hear the sound quality...shortlist a few models / brands which appeal to you in performance and budget.....the most important thing is to lookout for warranty as LEDs / Plasmas etc don't last too long....typical lifespan is between 3-9 years....this is the ugly truth about TVs today.....there are some posts in HFV where members have expressed their experience in facing issues....

Toshiba / Sharp offer 3 years warranty and you should take advantage of the same...when I was purchasing my TV, I did all the possible reviews research over the net...went to Vijay Sales and shortlisted a few brands...although Vijay Sales claim to offer a competitive price less than MRP, I ended up purchasing my TV for almost 25% less than MRP from my local electronic shop with the same 3 years warranty....You may want to do the same and get the best for less.....Online dealers like snapdeal would offer competitive rates but the shipping of the product may vary and some have had a bad experience...

All the best

Hi,

Purpose:
.we get only sd channels,,my parents watch serials for most of the time and I sometime watch movies in weekends.
sd channel proper viewing is a priority since my parents are into watching serials,,
3.if wifi connection n other options are available its good ..but it is not a priority.
4.sound quality should be good as in some led tvs I have heard that sound quality/loudness is not upto the mark.

Thanks in advance.

Before buying fix the Screen size you are looking for, It really matters if you watching the local cable. Screen size is directly related to the viewing distance & if the quality of signal isn't good then to view you have to move back. i too Bought the Toshiba due the VFM factor it offers compared to the other brands

Hi,

Purpose:

Thanks in advance.

sony 32w700b is a good option .....here check out this link

KDL-32W700B : W700B Series : BRAVIA HD TV (LED & LCD) : Sony India

Before buying fix the Screen size you are looking for, It really matters if you watching the local cable. Screen size is directly related to the viewing distance & if the quality of signal isn't good then to view you have to move back. i too Bought the Toshiba due the VFM factor it offers compared to the other brands

which Toshiba model did u go for?are u using the local cable connection or DTh?
I would like to know about sd channel viewing in sd set top box as currently we have sd set top box...
Please advice,

My experience says LCD/LEDs are very unreliable, make sure you purchase which provides you atleast a 3 year warrenty (I think toshiba does) keep it basic and try to invest as less as possible on these LCDs/LEDs..

No need to spend 44,900 on Sony 32w700b. Its too expensive for 32 inch with most of the features are useless for you.
Consider any TV with extended warranty.

which Toshiba model did u go for?are u using the local cable connection or DTh?
I would like to know about sd channel viewing in sd set top box as currently we have sd set top box...
Please advice,

Hi, i bought the Toshiba 39P2305 cricket series for Rs 35K. Currently I use Airtel SD DTH. If you stand close, the SD channels doesn't looks as great as the HD Videos, that's where the Viewing distance come into picture, if you are watching it very close the pics won't be clear but as i said earlier size determines the good viewing distance. Regarding the HD videos Or HD channels you wont be having this problem.

Dont go by the HD videos that the Shop guys show you, ask them to put the SD channels, watch them & decide..Another tip i would like to give is that don't pay or go for the features you wont even use. Most of the Features are marketing Claims. Spend your money Wisely. :)

@tijokjoy

From where you got at this Price? Online ?

I got this pricing from my hometown Toshiba Exclusive Shop (They sell both Toshiba laptops & TV's), through my cousin. I didn't had much confident in buying it online. So far you can meet people who has brought online & had good experience too

Hi All,

I saw the demo for Toshiba,sony,samsung..I particularly told them to show the sd channels and saw the video as a bIt hazy/distorted..
I then saw a Philips led tv which surprisingly looked good..the salesman told me the frequency value is 120 hz and that's y the picture looks good.model no is 3938.price -23k(32 inch)
..another model Philips 6577 also looked good.It was ,he told,240 hz frequency..price 28.5 k..

Let me know ur thoughts on this...

Last edited:
Hi

Higher the HZ rate better refreshed the picture display! Honestly Philips is more bright and may have issues later...would recommend that you read online reviews for the said models through google and take a proper decision...

Last week i went with my Father in law and after a lot of debate and demos....we finally settled for the Toshiba Cricket series P2305 32 inch and we got it with same 3 years warranty for Rs 22k from our local electronics dealer... the HZ refresh rate is 100hz and is good enough...also remember like speakers the TV needs some time (atleast a week) to settle in and adjust with the satellite receiver / cable reception / set top box...it also matters that you use high grade quality cables (AV cables / HDMI / component cables)

End of the day it all depends what appeals to you...preferable value would be Toshiba or Sharp...all the best

currently not getting any detailed reviews on Philips..just a question efernand1..how did you find the channels on P2305..did u view only the hd channels or the sd channels?

just a small note..a person said today that I can connect the set top box with a hdmi cable and my issue of viewing sd channel will get resolved..

IS THIS TRUE?

just a small note..a person said today that I can connect the set top box with a hdmi cable and my issue of viewing sd channel will get resolved..

IS THIS TRUE?

Couple of things.
1. I have read elsewhere that HD STB gives better picture quality than non HD STB. I have seen quite a lot of difference between SD channels on my TataSky HD in Bangalore and Reliance Non HD in my hometown. Unsure if its because of service provider.
2. Please check my review thread and see the shots taken by me. My viewing distance is ~8 feet and I am quite happy with SD output.

Back