Pioneer BDP 180
Dali zensor 5 (front)
Dali zensor 1 (Surround)
Samsung UHD 55 Inches
Denon X2200 - AVR
Room size is 12x30
type of music English, Bollywood, retro and ghazals
Source cd/usb/flac/mp3

To have a setup for purely music listening I was thinking to have another set up created with Marantz PM 7005 + Wharfdale 225 BS but due to budget and space issues and recommended by some other members here adding PM7005 to my current set up looks to be a good decision. Therefore, though this has been discussed in lot other forums but I am still confused and having a hard time in understanding and I do not want to take a risk of screwing my existing setup, therefore it is my earnest request to the gurus here to take pain for me and help me with a step by step process: -
1. How to connect the DenonX2200 to Marantz PM7005 and via which cable?
2. How the speakers will be connected?
3. How can I enjoy movies with my 5.1 set up when watching movies and enjoy music when listening to music via Marantz?
4. How the Pioneer BDP-180 can be used for Denon for Movies and Marantz for Music? Is it possible to use HDMI cable for Denon and Optical cable for Marantz? Or if there is any other better alternate way? Please recommend?
5. What mode must be selected in Denon while playing music from Marantz?
6. What configuration needs to be made in both the amps that while watching movies via Denon and listening to music via Marantz that there is no performance gap?
7. What mode must be selected in Marantz while playing movies from Denon?
8. Does Marantz PM7005 has Unity Gain feature or HT Bypass ?
9. What must be take care of for Better Performance and Not screwing up the entire setup?

I'm using Zensor 5 with Pm6005 for music and good with x2200 for HT. I'm just swaping the connection manualy by having banana plugs. There is no need of x2200 coming in between the link. In case if u are interested to Play via bdp through the coaxial connections to pm7005 it can be done. Only if the music files like flac, mp3 are played the Denon can act as a pass through. (Since u see the files on screen).
There are speakers switch available with remote control facility , (Ive seen during demo in showrooms ) by which u can swap the connection without swaping the speakers cables.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Thanks Rajith but what I have found in most of the firums is that the switcher things actually kills the performance

Rajiv, Luckily you have so many options with your pioneer 180 as well as marantz pm7005.

Your denon wont help in any case of stereo performance. So use denon for movies through HDMI from pioneer 180.

Coming to stereo, marantz pm 7005 has onboard DAC so either you can connect through co axial / analog... Depends on your taste select either coax/analog of the amp as well as pioneer 180.

And use some good quality cable for stereo.

Hey Vinoth,

Thanks a lot for the information. Therefore, please correct me if I am going wrong. So Pioneer BDP-180 has 3 ways to connect via HDMI ( which will be used by my Denon for Movies), optical and Red/White analog. Therefore, please confirm which is to use if I dont want the DAC from Pioneer to be used and I will prefer using the DAc from Marantz. while playing music

Please adise...

1. How to connect the DenonX2200 (D) to Marantz PM7005 (M) and via which cable?

Why Would you need to connect Denon with Marantz, two amplifiers? I can see only reason would be is to use Airplay or Internet radio options from Denon , but you want the SQ advantage of Marantz ; in this case Connect Denon PreOut - to Any analog Inputs of Marantz.

2. How the speakers will be connected?

Ideally Connect separate Pair of Speaker wires from Each Amp (D&M) to Speakers. Disconnect the amp connection not in use from the speaker side, without fail.

3. How can I enjoy movies with my 5.1 set up when watching movies and enjoy music when listening to music via Marantz?
answered in 2

4. How the Pioneer BDP-180 can be used for Denon for Movies and Marantz for Music? Is it possible to use HDMI cable for Denon and Optical cable for Marantz? Or if there is any other better alternate way? Please recommend?

Use Optical from Pioneer BDP 180 (P) to M

5. What mode must be selected in Denon while playing music from Marantz?

Don't Connect Denon to Speakers & use the Denon PreOut to Marantz which is connected to Speakers.

6. What configuration needs to be made in both the amps that while watching movies via Denon and listening to music via Marantz that there is no performance gap?

Run Audessey for Denon and keep it that way, Boost Sub or Center Speaker levels according to your preference , I set Crossover usually 80 (LFE+Main), Use Dialog Level adjust if you find it inadequate.

Use tone controls on Marantz for your preferred audio output.

7. What mode must be selected in Marantz while playing movies from Denon?
Marantz should be switched Off & disconnected from speakers while playing Movies

8. Does Marantz PM7005 has Unity Gain feature or HT Bypass ?

I dont know about this, some others may be able to help

9. What must be take care of for Better Performance and Not screwing up the entire setup?

Keep only one amp connected to the front speakers which is running, Clean Power, use 2KVA Servo UPS, Voltage stabilizer or Power Conditioner depending on budget.

Hey Vinoth,

Thanks a lot for the information. Therefore, please correct me if I am going wrong. So Pioneer BDP-180 has 3 ways to connect via HDMI ( which will be used by my Denon for Movies), optical and Red/White analog. Therefore, please confirm which is to use if I dont want the DAC from Pioneer to be used and I will prefer using the DAc from Marantz. while playing music

Please adise...

Music: Pioneer BDP-->Optical-->Marantz-->Speakers (Denon powered OFF) This way you'll avoid Pioneer DAC.

Movies: Pioneer BDP-->HDMI-->Denon-->Speakers (Marantz powered OFF).

You have to switch speakers from Marantz to Denon and vice versa for movie and music or buy a switch.

Regards
Bilal

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back