Suggestion on shoe string budget setup ..

Kannan_madhu

Hi
i am Madhu , i recently bought a Sony 32ex300 lcd and most of my budget is blown on it and i need a DVD and surround speakers but very tight on budget , can you suggest a DVD player + 5.1 speakers for 8K which sounds ok .

will dvds with component out only give the hd ready resolution ? or is a player with hdmi is must for up scaling normal dvd resolution ?

thanks in advance

you need not only a player but 5.1 AVR as well. Not possible. Try a surround bar for your TV instead.

Hi
i am Madhu , i recently bought a Sony 32ex300 lcd and most of my budget is blown on it and i need a DVD and surround speakers but very tight on budget , can you suggest a DVD player + 5.1 speakers for 8K which sounds ok .

will dvds with component out only give the hd ready resolution ? or is a player with hdmi is must for up scaling normal dvd resolution ?

thanks in advance

Only option i can see is from Philips

eBay India: PHILIPS HOME THEATER HTS3510E - USB, MP3, KARAOKE, DIVX (item 290460847708 end time 03-Sep-2010 23:00:00 IST)

Is that just for the plastic casing or does it also have electronics inside? :eek:hyeah: :rolleyes: ;)

I guess thats the only option then ... look for a surround bar - for the kind of SQ this thing will give, it is not worth the hassle of multiple speaker placement and wiring all around the room.

Cheers

Very true Gobble! All the consumer audio/video products made in India are of worst possible quality (except a few esteemed ones). These companies are experts in making imitations and pay great attention to the cosmetic looks of the equipment to lure uninformed customers but do nothing about the actual quality.
Surround bar is a good option for those who hates clutter, but then they come at a premium price and not exactly on a shoestring budget.

@that budget u can only get a sub-sat setup. Logitech comes to my mind (only 2.1 setup) If you can up your budget to 15k logitech 5500 is good (for new) scout around in the forum and you will find something @ that budget. I saw some sale thread selling logitech 5500 and also of someone else, who considered something else (philips I guess) over logitech and imdt put it up for sale as bass was not to his liking. search the for sale thread for owners.

Or, you could spend that money on a good upscaling DVD player and some DVDs for now. You can enjoy your lcd and dvd setup that way.

Save up money and get a good speaker package and amp later, when you have the budget for it. At 8K, unless you are not that picky about sound, you are never going to get a great setup.

A pioneer dv220 at Rs.3700 and a Creative/Altec Lansing 2.1/4.1/5.1 for about 5000 would do it for now. You can later get a good AVr and speaker package.

i searched for the dv220 but its not available in my town (calicut,kerala). there are few models wit hdmi is available here , LG dv388 , sony , and philips , the lg comes with out HDMI cable and costs Rs3200 philips and sony are 5k with hdmi and dts decoding , i don't want to spend too much on a player since i feel that BD players will hit 5k within a short time . so i want one dvd for may be two years , will the pic quality of these hdmi dvd players and component out players drastically different ?

madhu, don't listen to the posh people ;)

8k may not be possible but 10k certainly is. Buy one of the philips DVD players that has HDMI and analog 5.1 outs (will cost 5k or less). Then buy a set of 5.1 speakers from Philips that cost about 5k. Combine these and you've got a pretty satisfying rough-and-ready 'home theater'. It is not anywhere near audiophile quality, but it does the job.

I am an audiophile and take great pains over my music setup, but I use exactly this kind of setup for my movies and I find it eminently serviceable. You can adjust relative volume and delays on the Philips DVD player itself, and calibrate it to put together a usable surround soundstage. It'll be a huge upgrade from the sound of your TV and when bombs explode and trains pass by, you'll definitely smile :)

Check out this thread where I've explained in a bit more detail - http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/5004-my-cheap-ass-home-theater.html

All the best and have fun!

U should go for Philips. It is better than Sony in same price range. I own a 3571 which goes about 15K. 3371 wud fit ur budget, I suppose. Get a philips in ur budget. Someone on Techenclave is selling his week old 3571, u can bargain and get it also.

Also there is samsung 450 for 10.5k, which would also fit ur budget.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back