Suggestion on UPS/inverter: just out of the pan, save me from falling in the fire ;)

rahulsnh

Thanks in advance to all who took time to read my long post.

I just got rid of Kevin Inverter 1.5KVA and near dead batteries, through OLX. Before the summer kicks in and BESCOM starts doling power cuts, I need to install a UPS/inverter that gives a reliable support in powerless times ;)

My requirement is about 700W for about 2 hours. That means that I will need a UPS of 1.5 to 2KVA and 2 units of 100AH battery.

From your experience with inverters/UPS that you have owned, please suggest a good UPS.

Other details worth mentioning:
1. I own Panasonic 50V20D which runs off a Servo stabilizer. Earlier UPS was a part of the set up too.
2. Relay circuitry of Kevin UPS mismatched with the delay of the stabilizer causing numerous problems e.g. if there was a voltage fluctuation the UPS would switch in and switch out. Sometimes UPS would complain of short circuit emitting irritating sound. I faced all kinds of problems but I'm not certain whether my understanding of the them is accurate enough. Nonetheless after a good riddance, I dread to be in a similar situation with new UPS that I buy.
3. The Kevin UPS charging current was almost steady 25 Amp. I think that is not a good way to recharge a battery - I mean shouldn't it be trickle charge with current going down as the battery recharge improves?
4. An electrician got me confused saying that inverter should not be run in conjugation with a Servo stabilizer, given that the latter has significant delay. Repeated fluctuations can confuse an inverter feeding off current from such a stabilizer. Is it true?
5. I had 2 maintenance free Amaron battery which claimed to last 3 years. They were beat dead in 3 years 4 months, although I would not rate my usage demanding. So, is it a better idea to go for unsealed batteries?

Disclaimer: Pls consider me not so well versed with the topic. The intent is to start a discussion and find facts. Pls feel free to share links in case it saves you typing.
You can suggest a different approach too such as online UPS (of course, apart from price, getting replacement batteries at end of life becomes tricky). Any suggestion is welcome so feel free to add to the discussion. Further, I'm looking for value for money so do not quite have a strict budget in mind.

Re: Suggestion on UPS/inverter: just out of the pan, save me from falling in the fire

This topic has been taken in great details in earlier forum threads. Search and read them! However, if I were you, I shan't run my HT (by any means) if there was no power.

Re: Suggestion on UPS/inverter: just out of the pan, save me from falling in the fire

I do not run panny on UPS. It is not possible to run a separate wiring to TV given that I live in a rented apartment. So, I had installed a change-over switch to cut out UPS (given crankiness of Kevin UPS) before TV was put on i.e. to run TV only on power from stabilizer. I intend to continue to using switch with new UPS.

I did read other threads - may be not exhaustively enough. I did not find any discussion on the lines of problems that I have faced. Please point me to one, if any.

I assume the Kevin UPS is not an online UPS.

It will be an expensive fix but try an Online UPS, it should work well with your stabilzer. In fact, the best would be to use only the Online UPS, since it does take care of all the power problems.

In my research I found out that Long tubular batteries are the best, in terms of life and back up time. They are NOT maintenance free. The downside is they are not available in the lower capacity (starts from 100ah) as opposed to SMF batteries (starts from 7ah), so it takes the initial costs very high, since most of the online UPS work on 96VDC meaning minimum of 8 batteries.

Just my 2cents. Not an expert but have been trying to fix my power problems and had done research.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back