Suggestions and views on using PA amplification for 2 channel audio

audiopro

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience and views for using PA amplification for 2 channel audio? I did a lot of research online and the best options seem to be QSC DSA series, Yamaha T series (not available in India) or the Yamaha XP series. Behringer has the KM750 amplifier but it maybe noisy. Crown seems to also be noisy.

Also any experience on using RCA to TRS or XLR convertors as these amps usually do not have RCA inputs.

The point is that if we get a 500W at 8 ohm amplifier and run it at say 200W we should be able to get decent performance as we are not taxing the amplifier.

It is almost impossible to afford a high powered amplifier today and hence I feel one should atleast look into this route. Who knows what may come up.

You can mod Behringer amp by switching the fan to less noisy one. I use the noctua mods mentioned in AVSforum. It is absolutely silent. I use a Behringer inuke3000 though. It is being used for SW duties.

Also any experience on using RCA to TRS or XLR convertors as these amps usually do not have RCA inputs.
The Crown Drivecore 2 line has RCA inputs, and active crossovers, should you need it.
This amp will give you oodles of headroom, and drive your speakers without breaking sweat.

I've been using Crown Xls 2502 for driving Maggies, and I can assure you that it's not noisy, I've never heard the fan moving.
Well, I Have a Parasound a21 currently which is my main amplifier for Stereo & the difference between Crown and A21 isn't day and night. Officially, Crown is stable down to 1 ohm impedance as well, which Parasound doesn't mention.

The Difference boils down to Class A/AB vs Class D, which is the emotional connection, meaty, warmer Vocals/strings and enhanced dynamics with class AB. I still use crown xls 2502 in HT for driving Maggies as my fronts. You can mitigate the shortcomings of Crown to a larger extent by using the Right Power Cable and interconnects. Qsc RCA series may be a better option(no experience) , or XTi series of Crown, which use class AB amplification.
Everything said, Investing in a good quality audiophile power amplifier is always better, as it's not much about the amount of Wpc but more about the quality of Wpc & you don't buy them quite often in your lifetime. I heard Mark Levinson 23.5 and McIntosh Power Amplifiers recently and they did outshine my Parasound by a decent margin (again the difference won't be day and night).

Alternatively, you may find my user review useful.

Last edited:
When I said noisy I meant harsh sounding or brash sounding. Any other experiences here? Thanks for posting. ai prefer to stay with class AB instead of class D. Any views on Dynatech V3000?

Unless we are using delta sigma phase inversion in which case it could be apduioor or who knows what it interpolates!

In general budget pro audio amps will not have hi fidelity specifications as the purpose is to deliver power in DJ type environments where it is more about slam and bang than music quality.
Higher priced pro audio amps are used by some at home as well , more so in HT setups where the focus is towards higher dynamics.

The reason we probably don't see pro audio amps commonly in home audio setups is probably because there is no need for high power capability taking into consideration the room size, listening distances and also not needing to satisfy a bigger audience.
Most home audio speakers are built to have reasonably higher efficiency and can be driven by low powered amps.
Home audio amps are also normally easier to handle in terms of size, weight and the current they draw.

In a not a careful hand, a pro audio amp can end up frying the speakers.

Home audio amps are also normally easier to handle in terms of size, weight and the current they draw.
This statement could be wrong, especially when you consider size to wattage ratio.

This statement could be wrong, especially when you consider size to wattage ratio.
The size also varies depending on the efficiency factor which needs additional cooling capabilities. Class A is normally the heaviest versus Class D. Pro amps are usually heavier than home audio amps owing to design constrains.

There are many other reasons for weight differences, including type and number of transformers used, chassis quality etc...but the basic tenet is efficiency.

Pro amps are usually heavier than home audio amps owing to design constrains.
used to be true, not anymore with the current generation of Class D amps.
The Crown XLS 1502 is a pro amp that weighs 3.9kg and is 300wpc at 8 ohms. It barely runs warm even when cranked up.

In general budget pro audio amps will not have hi fidelity specifications as the purpose is to deliver power in DJ type environments where it is more about slam and bang than music quality.
Higher priced pro audio amps are used by some at home as well , more so in HT setups where the focus is towards higher dynamics.

The reason we probably don't see pro audio amps commonly in home audio setups is probably because there is no need for high power capability taking into consideration the room size, listening distances and also not needing to satisfy a bigger audience.
Most home audio speakers are built to have reasonably higher efficiency and can be driven by low powered amps.

In a not a careful hand, a pro audio amp can end up frying the speakers.

The logic to this exercise is as follows:

Get a high powered well designed class AB pro amp. Suppose it is rated at say 500W at 8ohms. Objective is not to run it close to 500W. It would probably top out at 300W factoring in dynamic transients. Since we would be using about 50% of the power the distortion would be less as well.

Any speaker that is 89db and below benefits from extreme power. This is because you need a lot of headroom to allow the speaker to sound uncompressed. Most music is listened to at about 80-85db but the speaker benefits from having atleast another 20db of headroom to sound effortless.

However I am worried about the odd harmonics as when an amplifier or any component is asked to reproduce a particular frequency say 3khz it also reproduces accompanying harmonics like 5, 7, 9 etc. and also even ones. In SS based amps you tend to see stronger odd harmonics.
If these are not suppressed, you will find the amplifier brash or hard sounding. Please note that though each unwanted harmonic maybe 80db below the reproduced frequency they all add up. This is the primary reason why amps sound different. Some designers will flavour the amp this way. Decware had a video on this sometime ago.

Then there is the SMPS power supply switching noise that bleeds through and makes the amp sound hashy i.e. you do not get a black background.

Most PA class D amps use AD conversion to the input signal which allows for DSP processing which I am not keen on. Plus class D can have issues with its output filter flavoring the sound as well as speaker impedance matching issues (similar to the filters used in DACs where each type of filter has its own flavour). This is why class d amps do not sound as powerful or as consistent with different speakers as matching class AB amps, though I could be wrong here.

Hence in theory atleast if one has a well made amplifier that:
1. Suppresses unwanted harmonics by say 100db
2. Doesnt have much power supply noise
3. Is played at 50 to 70% of its power to avoid clipping and increase in distortion

One will have a lovely power amp at an affordable price. Hence was looking at a very well made PA amp that hopefully addressed these design issues. I could only narrow down to two models the Yamaha Tn series and the QSC DSA series. However I have noway of testing them and hence turned to the forum for advice etc.

Back