Suggestions Appreciated for buying gaming console

brk

Hi All,
Before even starting, Thanks everyone trying to helping me out.

I have been looking to buy a gaming console. Am a hard core online gamer in PC.(Counter Strike) This information might be useful for your suggestions to my gaming console.

One of ma friend is coming from US next week planning to buy a gaming console Kindly suggest me a good one.

XBOX kinetic games i was impressed playing in SATYAM BLUR (Chennai) But the graphics where not that good still it was entertaining with motion sensor.

PS3 : Hear this a good one. What HDD should i go for (12 GB or 320 GB) If it is 12 GB can i expand it latter with ease ?

PS4 : Should i actually go for this updated version or happy to sit with PS3 ?

Thanks all for reading, suggestions are welcome. A special Thanks to hifivision which helped me choosing 3D TV and Denon AV reciever. I hope this helps me find the best gaming console too :clapping:

I have a Xbox 360 and i really like it.
Here is the the way i feel, if you are majorly into First Person Shooter games go for Xbox.
Microsoft also owns some of the good titles so Xbox has an advantage.
I only play FPS and its amazing for such games - Assasins creed, Mass effect, Halo, Gears of War, Crysis, etc.
Xbox controller has two perfect trigger buttons that are a lot of fun to shoot with.
I just cant play FPS games with the PS controller. Its a totally personal thing but i think xbox controller is ideal for shooting games.

On the other hand, If you are into Fifa and racing and other multiplayer sports games mostly then i would say go for a PS.
I have found PS to be better for such games. Ergonomically the PS controller is better suited to Sports games.

Just my personal opinion. :)

PS: Have not really used Kinect or Move so cant comment.

Last edited:
I've posted this a couple of times already on other threads, but will repeat as I am so excited by it. I am and will be a die hard CS fan myself, by the way.

If you have grown up on PC games (I have), do wait for Steam Machines. They have completely re-imagined the controller so that it can work equally well for console games as well as PC games. Of course, Steam Machines will also support normal console controllers.

The biggest gains you will get from a Steam Machine are:
- Playing both PC games and console games. You can also use any controller of your choice, including wireless keyboard/mouse
- Upgradability and hardware quality only limited by your budget
- Potential for full HD gaming. Xbone and PS4 still don't do 1080p gaming - which a $200 graphics cards can do nowadays
- Somewhat similar price. Okay, the Steam Machine might be a bit more expensive. But the consoles are not exactly cheap to begin with. But you will most likely end up with better hardware
- Full control over the OS and your system. You can never get that from a console
- Steam itself. Prices on Steam are significantly lower. Especially their sales (that seem to happen most of the time). You will often get last gen games for as little as $5, and often at 50-75% discount. Console game prices hardly ever go this low

few things, don't go for PS4 or Xbxs One, not many titles are available and games are still coming on last gen. If buying Xbox 360, don't make Kinect as deciding factor, Kinect games are fun in the beginning but after some time the novelty wears off, kinect is only good to occasionally to play with friends at a party. Out of PS3 and Xbox 360, i prefer Xbox 360.

If looking for used ones, check out in.webuy.com, they have stores in major cities. You can go there and check it out. These stores also sell used movies/games and a lot other stuff.

Last edited:
Thanks a ton to all your inputs (dilipb902,arhantd,asliarun,skul82). Will be researching on it a little while will be ending to buy one by Sunday EOD.

My friend has bought a PS3 320 GB for 15000 which was Refurbishment shop. But the same costed around 17 to 18K here so asked him to return :(

Currently still in big dailema. Today i went to sony show room and they told they have PS3 12 GB for around 16K which i dont like basically.

My friend has told me to jump over to PS4 which is 39K. Completely confused again :( . POST back once i get one ...

Go for PS4 -

its strong hardware than PS3 (CHECK SPEC online)
New games title will come for PS4.
you will get Blue ray player for free

PS3 - If you shortlist, dont go for 12GB get 160 GB atleast
check video for updating Harddisk in PS3(youtube), Its very easy

if you are comfartable in updating HD, Get a 12GB and update

PS - I am PS3 owner.

Yeah that was a nice suggestion. As read from the forum post here for PS4, it is said that PS4 does not support some of the formats yet. And they said it can be updated using firmware update which will be available soon... So was jus wondering about that ....

Although i have heard in one of the mall (Pheonix). He is offering a PS3 320 move (move controller and wireless controller) Used one with one year warranty for about 19K. He is also said he can get it back with 60% if we return later (Am not sure about that :p).

In another mall(EA) the PS3 500 GB move costed 23.5 K. I am planning to go for this pack on this saturday.

Go for PS4 -

its strong hardware than PS3 (CHECK SPEC online)
New games title will come for PS4.
you will get Blue ray player for free

PS3 - If you shortlist, dont go for 12GB get 160 GB atleast
check video for updating Harddisk in PS3(youtube), Its very easy

if you are comfartable in updating HD, Get a 12GB and update

PS - I am PS3 owner.

where do you find a 160/320 gb ps3?? Currently in the market, you only get either the 12GB or the 500GB !!

Secondly, even the PS3 is a plays BluRay .. so i dont think that should be a selling point for the ps4 !! Currently the PS4 does not support DLNA streaming but Sony has promised to fix that in a future patch. This is something you will eventually end up using your console for a lot !!

Finally the price - I just replaced my "Fat" 40GB PS3 (broke down after 5 yrs) with the new 500 GB model .. Costed me around 22k at Croma .. The new PS3 games cost around 3k, but if you can wait for a year after their release, the prices usually drop to around 1-1.5k .. PS4 games are selling at around 4k and Im pretty sure the new releases will go much higher !!

My suggestion - Get a Ps3 for now, think about Ps4 later. Oh and BTW, If you are getting one from the US, they most likely will run on 110V, So you might have to buy a step down transformer to run it here !!

Yeah .... You are right if am going to buy it from US. I just dropped the idea of buying it from US now. (One of the point would be worried about the warranty :p).

Here in chennai most of the place you have 320 GB or 500 GB. Reliance Digital , pheonix mall and Express avenue. SONY centers has said they dont have it.

I will be mostly going for PS3 500 GB with motion sensor.

well if you an unused or extra laptop (2.5") hard drive at home then just get a 12gb ps3 model you can still put an hard drive in it,12gb is just the flash memoy on that model as it has no hard drive.
you can get ps4 but keep in mind games for ps4 is upward to 4000 and in some case even more. they are cheaper on the PSN store but the single is game is like 40gigs and depending on your internet it could take weeks to download,hell it takes a day or two to download games for ps3 from ps+ which are like 7gig at the max,thanks to xbox 360 DVD drive, i tried downloading Uncharted 3 as i was having trouble with the disc i had it took me a week to download it

where do you find a 160/320 gb ps3?? Currently in the market, you only get either the 12GB or the 500GB !!

Oh and BTW, If you are getting one from the US, they most likely will run on 110V, So you might have to buy a step down transformer to run it here !!

you dont have to worry about a transformer at all electronics these days use a universal power supply i know this for a fact as i have a PS4 form canada and it works fine whitout a transformer thingy hell you can even use your slim ps3 power cord for it, infact getting a ps3 form usa will be cheaper for than form india, dont quote me on that that was the reason i got my ps4 from canada

PS3 sticker does show 100 or 110V
But internally they have 100-240, so no need to buy transformer.

please google for this, so many threads.

that is the reason i purchased japan model without thinking about transformer.

Thanks all for your suggestion. I have bought PS3 500 GB with Move Pack from Express Avenue (Game Shop) Chennai. Am yet to install and try it out am still @ office :p. Once again thanks everyone for your valuable suggestions :)

Current setting of TV + Dennon AV + PS3 is

TV is paired with Denon
PS3 paired with TV.

I was just wondering if i pair the PS3 with Denon the sound quality will be better is that so ?

Correct connection will be:

PS3 >> HDMI cable >> Denon Receiver >> HDMI cable >> TV

If you have a 3D TV and the Denon does not support 3D passthrough, only then should you connect PS3 directly to TV.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back