Suggestions for 7.2.4 channel receivers

Divyam

Hi all,

I am planning to build a dedicated HT with a screen size of 120 inches (acoustically transparent screen) with a 7.2.4 setup.

My room size is 21 ft x 15 ft x 9 ft.

I am a bit new with this, but I have been researching a lot!

Per my research, I think I would require a 11 channel receiver for a 7.2.4 setup. My options are as follows then:

1) Marantz SR8012 - Rs. 2,48,700 on Amazon

2) Denon AVR-X6500H - Rs. 231,900 on Amazon

3) Yamaha I am unable to find a 11 channel receiver, they have a pre and power amp on their website (A5200) but I am assuming I need both which would be very expensive.

Any suggestions would be welcome. I am open to other brands also, or any other setup style that would fit a 7.2.4 system.

My primary aim is to control cost, I don't have a budget as such but I really do not want to spend unnecessarily also.

I am happy to provide any further details if required. Thanks in advance.

Marantz SR 6013 fits your requirements to the T. It is a 9.2 receiver and you can hook up an external 2ch amp to drive 11 channels.
Street price is around 82-85K.

Add another 20-30K for a 2 channel power amp , which you can use to drive the Front L/R and the rest can be driven by the AVR.

Another good option is the Anthem MRX720, this is 7.2ch but can decode 11.2 with external amps. Not sure about street price but should be around the 2.25L mark ..

In Amazon most of the dealers are not authorized and warranty is usually void from the manufacturer. Exceptions are there. In case of heavy discount, it's mostly not manufacturer authorized. So purchasing such high value product becomes risky. I know that warranty in India is only 1 year but at least faulty products can be replaced or fixed.

The marantz 8012 costs 2.95 lacs from hifimart which is official warranty. Denon 6500H MRP is 2.7 lacs as listed in profx website, you may get 10-15% discount on it. Yamaha has got only separate preamp/power amp as you said correctly.

Alternative will be to get 9 channel receiver which will do the job well too. Like marantz 6012 at 1 lac from Hifimart.

Marantz SR 6013 fits your requirements to the T. It is a 9.2 receiver and you can hook up an external 2ch amp to drive 11 channels.

Add another 20-30K for a 2 channel power amp , which you can use to drive the Front L/R and the rest can be driven by the AVR.

Another good option is the Anthem MRX720, this is 7.2ch but can decode 11.2 with external amps. Not sure about street price but should be around the 2.25L mark ..

Thank you! The 6013 + 2 channel amp will save me a lot of money! Why is there such a huge price difference though? Any idea?

Anthem seems pretty expensive as a brand also!

In Amazon most of the dealers are not authorized and warranty is usually void from the manufacturer. Exceptions are there. In case of heavy discount, it's mostly not manufacturer authorized. So purchasing such high value product becomes risky. I know that warranty in India is only 1 year but at least faulty products can be replaced or fixed.

The marantz 8012 costs 2.95 lacs from hifimart which is official warranty. Denon 6500H MRP is 2.7 lacs as listed in profx website, you may get 10-15% discount on it. Yamaha has got only separate preamp/power amp as you said correctly.

Alternative will be to get 9 channel receiver which will do the job well too. Like marantz 6012 at 1 lac from Hifimart.

Thank you for the info, I will be sure to buy the product from an authorised dealer only!

This 9+2 channel receiver saves a lot of cost! Thanks.

Thank you! The 6013 + 2 channel amp will save me a lot of money! Why is there such a huge price difference though? Any idea?

Anthem seems pretty expensive as a brand also!

There is a huge difference between the MRP & actual dealer price, esp. when you go with cash ;)

Safe to assume a 25-30% discount based on your location, dealer, and bargaining skills.

Hi all,

I am planning to build a dedicated HT with a screen size of 120 inches (acoustically transparent screen) with a 7.2.4 setup.

I am a bit new with this, but I have been researching a lot!

Per my research, I think I would require a 11 channel receiver for a 7.2.4 setup. My options are as follows then:

1) Marantz SR8012 - Rs. 2,48,700 on Amazon

2) Denon AVR-X6500H - Rs. 231,900 on Amazon

3) Yamaha I am unable to find a 11 channel receiver, they have a pre and power amp on their website (A5200) but I am assuming I need both which would be very expensive.

Any suggestions would be welcome. I am open to other brands also, or any other setup style that would fit a 7.2.4 system.

My primary aim is to control cost, I don't have a budget as such but I really do not want to spend unnecessarily also.

I am happy to provide any further details if required. Thanks in advance.

Hi you have selected good option of AVR
But getting from Amazon.in is risk .Better visit your city hifi audio dealers ,have a demo if possible and decide.You may get a better price with good discount than Amazon.
As stated by our FMs you dont require a 11channel AVR for doing 7.2.4
A good 9 channel AVR like Denon x4400/4500 ,Marantz 6012/6013 will do 11 channel processing (This will save you a lot) ,You may need to add additional 2 channel power amp (by taking preout from AVR) to make it 7.2.4 .
Other than Denon ,Marantz brand ,there are Yamaha Aventage series AVR ,Pioneer ,Onkyo AVR models which will do 11 channel processing.

You may need to select it by proper auditioning in your city.
Also invest good on Better speakers .Do some room acosutics if possible whcih is important factor for better sounds .
If budget permits go for 2 subs ,May be you can add the 2nd sub later also.
Plan for the room layout ,postioning of speakers etc.

Post your doubts so that our FMs can help you.
Better Luck !!! Happy Hunting.

There is a huge difference between the MRP & actual dealer price, esp. when you go with cash ;)

Safe to assume a 25-30% discount based on your location, dealer, and bargaining skills.

Haha I see! I will surely look into it. Thanks :D

I am from Mumbai. In case you can share any contacts, that would greatly help!

But getting from Amazon.in is risk .Better visit your city hifi audio dealers ,have a demo if possible and decide.You may get a better price with good discount than Amazon.
A good 9 channel AVR like Denon x4400/4500 ,Marantz 6012/6013 will do 11 channel processing (This will save you a lot) ,You may need to add additional 2 channel power amp (by taking preout from AVR) to make it 7.2.4 .
Other than Denon ,Marantz brand ,there are Yamaha Aventage series AVR ,Pioneer ,Onkyo AVR models which will do 11 channel processing.

Also invest good on Better speakers .Do some room acosutics if possible whcih is important factor for better sounds .

Thank you for the detailed reply. I am looking into the 9ch + 2 power amp setup.

I will also check out the other brands mentioned. I will surely demo everything before buying and post my final setup here too!

Per my research, I think I would require a 11 channel receiver for a 7.2.4 setup.

Good to state you max budget for your dedicated HT set-up, so you can choose components accordingly..

As FM @RajithKumar stated, good to opt for 9 channel AVR with 11.2 pre-outs, which enables to add a power amplifier and is also cost effective than going for a 11.2 AVR, which is expensive..

2 subs should be good to start with, but 4 (identical subs) would be great..

If you will have subs to do the duty for bass, then you can choose a BS, preferably with wallmount capability.. Even better if the speakers have threaded hole inserts, where you can add external brackets to hook it up anywhere in the room..

Would be good, if you can go for 11 identical speakers..

Any idea which 2 channel amp to get?

I am open to other brands also, or any other setup style that would fit a 7.2.4 system.

Given the price of the Denon and the Marantz you're looking at, I'd suggest taking a look at the Anthem AVM 60.

It's what I have and it was my speaker manufacturers' first choice of pre-amp for my system (ahead of Denon/Marantz/NAD).

Marantz SR6013 with Emotiva A-300 may be the good combination for 9 channels Abe with 2 channels power amplifier. Most of the time Marantz av receiver work well with almost of brand of speakers. Else you can go for Emotiva A-5175 or Outlaw audio model 5000 five channels power amplifier with Marantz 6013. This will provide better dynamics , good headroom and can drive low impedance or low sensitivity speakers easily . In this case 5 channels amplifier will drive basics 5 speakers where as Marantz will power over head and surround back speakers.

Hi all, I have finally decided to go for the Marantz SR7013 (1.35 lacs) + Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 3 (80,000) at a total cost of 2.15 lacs. Thanks for all the help!

I am also considering the Anthem MRX 1120 at a price of 2.9 lacs, because it has Anthem Room Correction. Is it worth it?

Do let me know in case I need to consider anything else before I place my order!

Hi all, I have finally decided to go for the Marantz SR7013 (1.35 lacs) + Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 3 (80,000) at a total cost of 2.15 lacs. Thanks for all the help!

I am also considering the Anthem MRX 1120 at a price of 2.9 lacs, because it has Anthem Room Correction. Is it worth it?

Do let me know in case I need to consider anything else before I place my order!

The SR7013 is a good choice and has enough of muscle to drive most speakers...so dont just purchase the power amp yet.........you can add it if required later. That would be my recommendation.

MZ Audio (Bandra) is the distributor of Marantz to most dealers in Mumbai....Meet Ashrafbhai (Owner) or his son Sayeed and get a good price if not done......

Bottomline....irrespective of any dealer, never reveal your real budget for the HT setup......you dont want ending up with stuff you never wanted or over spending ........

The SR7013 is a good choice and has enough of muscle to drive most speakers...so dont just purchase the power amp yet.........you can add it if required later. That would be my recommendation.

MZ Audio (Bandra) is the distributor of Marantz to most dealers in Mumbai....Meet Ashrafbhai (Owner) or his son Sayeed and get a good price if not done......

Bottomline....irrespective of any dealer, never reveal your real budget for the HT setup......you dont want ending up with stuff you never wanted or over spending ........

Thank you! I would need the power amp since the Marantz only powers 9 ch, and I need 11.

I will talk to MZ audio, thanks.

Thank you! I would need the power amp since the Marantz only powers 9 ch, and I need 11.

I will talk to MZ audio, thanks.

Great!

Besides Emotiva.....some have added Crown Power amps.....you may consider those too.....recently there has been a few posts around them,,,,,

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back