Suggestions for a good quality step down transformer

newlash09

Hi all :)

Iam in need of a good quality ( mainly silent with no hum ) step down transformer for running my US voltage audio gear. I did see some Maxine step down transformers on Amazon, but not sure if they are quality enough for use in a music system. Will be grateful for any suggestions, and forum member experiences with any that they are using or have used in the past. Thanks

I would say depending on your skill level, cost of the item/warranty etc, if you can, open the unit (demount the transformer if needed) to check numbers on it. Usually the transformers are made to cater both US and India voltages and it is just that they are hard-wired differently based on the region it was made for. If you can share the numbers on transformer with me, I can or in fact there are several techies here who can help.

I would say depending on your skill level, cost of the item/warranty etc, if you can, open the unit (demount the transformer if needed) to check numbers on it. Usually the transformers are made to cater both US and India voltages and it is just that they are hard-wired differently based on the region it was made for. If you can share the numbers on transformer with me, I can or in fact there are several techies here who can help.

Thanks a lot bornfi :)

Never knew I could change the internal transformer of the kit itself to accommodate indian power supply. But if feasable it would really save me a great deal of headache. Iam presently away and travelling. Will post internal pics and numbers on the transformers as soon as Iam back. Thanks again for the suggestion. Much appreciated :)

Thanks a lot bornfi :)

Never knew I could change the internal transformer of the kit itself to accommodate indian power supply. But if feasable it would really save me a great deal of headache. Iam presently away and travelling. Will post internal pics and numbers on the transformers as soon as Iam back. Thanks again for the suggestion. Much appreciated :)
Well in case if you would still like to use the transformer, maxine is the best. There is definitely no hum. Have been using one with an audio gear for several years without any problem.

+1 to Maxine. I would buy from the local electronic/electrical market rather than Amazon for certain products, this being one.

Hi all :)

Iam in need of a good quality ( mainly silent with no hum ) step down transformer for running my US voltage audio gear. I did see some Maxine step down transformers on Amazon, but not sure if they are quality enough for use in a music system. Will be grateful for any suggestions, and forum member experiences with any that they are using or have used in the past. Thanks
Hi
Better you purchase from offline local market after checking it thoroughly.Checking means voltage output and physical appearance.
Once I was searching for Stepdown in the local market .Most of the Stepdown trafo was in damaged condition.It is not the quality issue, the imbalance trafo weight load on the casing makes the case damage and tripper damage etc.
Two I rejected in the offline shop itself while purchasing .we cannot blame the company but the shipment .
That bitter experience happened with Maxine only for 1.5kva rating.may be the trafo is bigger in size for 1.5kva that's where the problem.
whatever it is just my input.
But performance wise there was no issue and I sold the same here about 2yrs back once my onkyo fried for some other issue.
ATB.

Go for maxine. Not just me but a lot of forum members are using it. I ordered mine online(amazon) and also checked it via multimeter before using it. Works great without any heating, or humming.

Thanks for all your inputs gents :)

Maxine seems to be a very good option indeed. Do they have any models with inbuilt isolation transformer by any chance. I have power OCD I must admit. I will be using a isotek power conditioner from the Maxine. But nothing really beats a isolation transformer in my opinion. Thanks to kindly let me know. And thanks again for all your time :)

Thanks for all your inputs gents :)

Maxine seems to be a very good option indeed. Do they have any models with inbuilt isolation transformer by any chance. I have power OCD I must admit. I will be using a isotek power conditioner from the Maxine. But nothing really beats a isolation transformer in my opinion. Thanks to kindly let me know. And thanks again for all your time :)
Please find their contact number from Google and call them. Even i called them before purchasing my unit and was also thinking of isolation transformer. The guy was very helpful and answered all my queries.

Hi all....thanks again for all your advise and guidance. Thought I'd give a meaningful end to my post.

So I ended up buying a vertex servo stabilizer of 1 kva capacity and a vertex step down transformer of 1 kva capacity with inbuilt isolation transformer.

I got vertex hyderabad dealer contact number from a friend. Gave that gentleman Mr.Isaac a call. Since I mentioned that this was speficially for audio application where I wanted quality power. He suggested adding a servo stabilizer also in the chain, apart from step down transformer I was originally looking for.

The final bill with GST and transportation charges to my residence came to 19.8k. Expecting delivery around the month end.

I had requested for a change of those indian sockets to universal sockets. And also requested for 2 outputs instead of one. My request was accepted. Thanks for reading IMG-20190918-WA0009.jpgIMG-20190918-WA0008.jpg

what does an inbuilt isolation transformer do for audio?

Not an expert, but what I glean is that there is no physical contact with existing wiring in an isolation transformer so any nasties on the regular household circuit won't make it to your equipment, which in my book is a huge plus, because avoiding spurious noise is an important factor in getting a blacker background as well as reduced distortion. And I am a firm believer that lower noise floor does indeed translate to better perception of microdynamics in the track which will otherwise get lost in spurious noise, such as cymbal decays etc. which adds to realisim of what one is listening to. Again not an expert but power supply to an any audio equipment is easily a third of the cost of said equipment so feeding it the purest juice will let you hear what the designer intended you to hear.
Cheers
Sid

Last edited:
Vertex is a quality brand with excellent customer service. Congrats! I am looking at adding an isolation transformer for my 3kva servo.
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks sidvee :)

I was happy with their response time. And the time spent to patiently hear over my requirement, even though it was just a vague query. Their promptness and proper advise , sealed the deal in the end. Thanks

No expert here either :D

In a isolation transformer, power gets transferred from incoming house hold power transformer to the output transformer by magnetic induction between the two cores. So there is no physical contact between the two. So EMI, RF and spurious DC at the input can't reach the output. So this gives a very clean power output, while blocking all the unwanted power nasties. Just my 2 cents

There are two types of noises. Common mode noise and differential mode noise. Isolation transformer will only take care of common mode noise.

There are two types of noises. Common mode noise and differential mode noise. Isolation transformer will only take care of common mode noise.

Thanks for sharing that Prem :)

I must admit I have a power OCD :D

Any pointers towards blocking that differential mode noise would be nice. The 110V chain for my small source US components will be fed from a isotek evo3 Polaris power filter, placed at the end of this servo stabilizer + step down + isolation transformer chain. Will these power filters be able to stop this differential noise. The isotek by itself has worked miracles in both my, as well as some friends systems. Thus was curious. Thanks

Last edited:
I would stay away from this option, esp if you don’t fully understand EVERYTHING about it. Reasons
1. Messing with high voltages esp 220-240 isn’t a good idea
2. You will lose out on any warranty esp if the equipment goes toast
3. How good are the power supplies compared to step downs?

I have used Maxine for many years and can vouch for their quality. Try to find a local dealer so you can test it or have it replaced. Mr. Shaw in begaluru helped me through this process initially.

In short, you will hear the mixie motor or fridge/AC compressor run.
Which you should, otherwise how will one discern the nuances of music.
But the harmonics/noise they inject into your home grid will not show up in audio chain.
At least that's the theory.

Cheers,
Raghu

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back