Suggestions for a new Home theatre setup

Naveen Jadav

I have always wanted a good home theater setup which good for movies and also for music(occasionally)

Living in an apartment with living room of dimensions 12ft x 12ft , I do not want to opt for floor standing speakers

First plan was to go with a satellite speaker package like Polk TL 1600 or Klipsch Reference 5.0 home theater package

But after reading about these speaker packages one thing I understood is that even though they might be good for movies, they are not the best for music due to the small drivers they pack in

I currently have a Edifier powered 1850DB speaker setup connected to my PC, which is good for me for music listening

But this setup is in my bedroom and I want to build a HT setup for my living room where it can be accessed by all my family members ( my dad is a music lover )

So I have decided go with Bookshelf speakers to get good music out of the HT setup

Plan is to gradually build the whole 5.2 and probably an Atmos setup with 5.2.2 , due to budget constraint (currently around 1.5L for AV receiver and front channels)

At present I have zeroed in on Yamaha RX A2A for the AV receiver + bookshelf speakers from Klipsch Reference series R-50-M

Will add Sub(s) , center and rear channels gradually

Please suggest if this approach and choice would work good for movies and occasional music listening

I have always wanted a good home theater setup which good for movies and also for music(occasionally)

Living in an apartment with living room of dimensions 12ft x 12ft , I do not want to opt for floor standing speakers

First plan was to go with a satellite speaker package like Polk TL 1600 or Klipsch Reference 5.0 home theater package

But after reading about these speaker packages one thing I understood is that even though they might be good for movies, they are not the best for music due to the small drivers they pack in

I currently have a Edifier powered 1850DB speaker setup connected to my PC, which is good for me for music listening

But this setup is in my bedroom and I want to build a HT setup for my living room where it can be accessed by all my family members ( my dad is a music lover )

So I have decided go with Bookshelf speakers to get good music out of the HT setup

Plan is to gradually build the whole 5.2 and probably an Atmos setup with 5.2.2 , due to budget constraint (currently around 1.5L for AV receiver and front channels)

At present I have zeroed in on Yamaha RX A2A for the AV receiver + bookshelf speakers from Klipsch Reference series R-50-M

Please suggest if this approach and choice would work good for movies and occasional music listening
Speaker selection could be better, coz in a space like living room the Klipsch would sound really bright.

Speaker selection could be better, coz in a space like living room the Klipsch would sound really bright.
Thank you for the quick response, I have not got a chance to audition the newer gen Klipsch speakers , but from all the reviews newer generation Klipsch are less brighter and/or fatiguing as compared to their previous generations

Having said that please suggest any other speakers that would suit my requirement of satisfying both Movie and music needs

My budget would be around 40-50K for the Front left and right speakers

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick response, I have not got a chance to audition the newer gen Klipsch speakers , but from all the reviews newer generation Klipsch are less brighter and/or fatiguing as compared to their previous generations

Having said that please suggest any other speakers that would suit my requirement of satisfying both Movie and music needs

My budget would be around 40-50K for the Front left and right speakers
Iam using klipsch 620f towers as front L and R and 51m for surrounds. Mine is also 5.1.2 setup at living room. Klipsch sounds great. You can go with 51M as L and R

I would advise a lower end AVR which would come to around 75k, use the remaining budget for a good quality which works well for music and movies (possibly sealed).

Do hear the speakers with your favourite music (take your dad along) and favourite movies. Klipsch sound is very polarizing, you love it or you hate it :) There are enough demo places where you can hear all the popular brands in Bangalore.

Whatever AVR you choose, it should have dynamic EQ. -
Note - I'm not talking about DRC

Check Monitor Audio Mass 5.1 package.
+Sonodyne IWO Series speakers. It can be easily hanged in wall. It was sounding really nice when i was auditioning last time.
+Wharfedale DX-1SE 5.1 Home Cinema Speaker Package

Since , you are in Bangalore, There are lot of Audio dealers. Try auditioning them and decide based on your likings.

Iam using klipsch 620f towers as front L and R and 51m for surrounds. Mine is also 5.1.2 setup at living room. Klipsch sounds great. You can go with 51M as L and R
Thank you , I am planning to audition the Klipsch speakers before proceeding further

I would advise a lower end AVR which would come to around 75k, use the remaining budget for a good quality which works well for music and movies (possibly sealed).

Do hear the speakers with your favourite music (take your dad along) and favourite movies. Klipsch sound is very polarizing, you love it or you hate it :) There are enough demo places where you can hear all the popular brands in Bangalore.
Thank you for the suggesting will carry along some of our favourite content along , working with various dealers to get audition

Ok I can extend my budget a bit for the L R speakers , any particular speakers you would suggest which would be suitable for both Movies and music

Whatever AVR you choose, it should have dynamic EQ. -
Note - I'm not talking about DRC
Thanks I will try to make sure of this. Not very sure if Yamaha RX A2A has this , did not find any details from their site

Plus availability of AVRs is a big issue, none of the models are available in stock anywhere

Check Monitor Audio Mass 5.1 package.
+Sonodyne IWO Series speakers. It can be easily hanged in wall. It was sounding really nice when i was auditioning last time.
+Wharfedale DX-1SE 5.1 Home Cinema Speaker Package

Since , you are in Bangalore, There are lot of Audio dealers. Try auditioning them and decide based on your likings.
Thank you for your suggestion , However I do not want to get satellite based speaker packages, and planning to start with 2.0 , and add up components gradually

Update:

Got to audition Polk / KEF / Klipsch / Q
Acoustics bookshelf speakers

I really loved the KEF Q350 sound the most

But I loved the Polk Audio Reserve 200 overall so decided to go with these

However I have hit a hurdle in AVR purchase

I might have to drop my idea of setting up home theatre for now

Mainly because of space constraints , My living room has a fixed tv cabinet which has very less depth of around 36cm and as far as I have researched almost all the AVRs (7.2ch and above) have a depth greater than 38-39 cm + will need room for HDMI/Speaker cables at the back

Plus cannot have a dedicated AV rack , so it’s a no go at the moment

Please suggest if anything else can be done to overcome this hurdle

Attachments

• IMG_8635.jpg
    IMG_8635.jpg
    568.8 KB · Views: 67
I am kind of similar situation. Rented apartment, dont want to spend a bomb on HT, till have my own house.
What I did is, have a very old 5.1 HT which I used on PC, creative inspire T6060 but still works great.
I bought an optical analog 5.1 convertor from amazon and connected creative 5.1 to it. Took optical out from TV to convertor input.
Used Kodi to play 4K 5.1 movies and I have 5.1. Also tested with Xbox Series X 5.1 supported games and its works too.
I cant be sure if its working correctly with Prime.

Note: I dont know, if this any way can be compared with a real AVR HT setup.

I am kind of similar situation. Rented apartment, dont want to spend a bomb on HT, till have my own house.
What I did is, have a very old 5.1 HT which I used on PC, creative inspire T6060 but still works great.
I bought an optical analog 5.1 convertor from amazon and connected creative 5.1 to it. Took optical out from TV to convertor input.
Used Kodi to play 4K 5.1 movies and I have 5.1. Also tested with Xbox Series X 5.1 supported games and its works too.
I cant be sure if its working correctly with Prime.

Note: I dont know, if this any way can be compared with a real AVR HT setup.

Thank you for sharing your idea . I have used such setups in past want and have even HTIBs , but wanted to setup a surround system with a good AVR and speakers

Right now I am looking for a solution to tackle the space constraint in the cabinet.

If nothing works out probably will go for a integrated amplifier with R200s ,given IA would fit in my tv cabinet

Update:

Mainly because of space constraints , My living room has a fixed tv cabinet which has very less depth of around 36cm and as far as I have researched almost all the AVRs (7.2ch and above) have a depth greater than 38-39 cm + will need room for HDMI/Speaker cables at the back

If you can't setup AVR, then JBL 9.1 soundbar is a good option to consider, it will deliver dolby atmos and is compatible to provide 4k.
Check it out.
Also Sonos soundbar also delivers excellent sound

Update:

Hi,
You can ask a Carpenter to make a small stand and mount on the wall or the shelf.

Update:

Now thats a hot take! In a forum where sound quality REIGNS SUPREME, what other factors led to the R200 being the right speaker for you?

For the number of "media consoles" and "TV units" available, hardly any of them have functional designs. In fact, I'd go so far as to say they are mostly utterly useless for anything more than an STB and a console.

Having said that, the most cost effective solution is to simply keep it on top of the unit instead of inside the shelf. My AVR (Marantz SR6013 requires a clearance of 45cm including cables.

At the most, the front fascia will stick out a bit (by approx 5 cm) but the feet will be firmly grounded. If you can make your peace with that, you may possibly be losing out on that last bit of aesthetic symmetry/perfection but you would be gaining a whole lot experience wise. Unless of course, the experience includes a righteous earful from the missus... or worse!

Nevertheless, it will also be the better solution insofar as heat management and longevity of your AVR is concerned as opposed to the shelves which are closed from all directions except the front (not that the shelves were an option in the first place).

If you can't setup AVR, then JBL 9.1 soundbar is a good option to consider, it will deliver dolby atmos and is compatible to provide 4k.
Check it out.
Also Sonos soundbar also delivers excellent sound
Thanks , Sound bars are an option but I do not really like the concept of all the channels packed into one piece plus I do not really like wireless speakers especially the ones that need to be recharged

Hi,
You can ask a Carpenter to make a small stand and mount on the wall or the shelf.

That’s the problem , I do not own this place so not intending to do any modifications

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back