Suggestions for a REALLY inexpensive 50" TV?

deepakvrao

Hi,

Need to buy a really inexpensive 50" TV. This is for my golf sim, and if I like it I'll move to a projector. So, want to spend as little as possible. Seen some Mi, TCL, Hisense etc for around 30K. Which would you guys suggest at that price range?

Another TV question guys. Apparently to run the golf software at 4K you need a RTX 3080 with 12gb video ram. My current PC has a RTX 2070 with 8gb video ram. So, if I cant get it to run 4K, and the output is 1080, and I use a 4K TV, will I get crappy upscaling and a blurred image?

I see that when you reach 50 inches plus, all TVs are now 4K. Possible to adjust the resolution of the TV to match the graphics card output?

I have a TCL 65 incher I bought for 50K three years back..came with three year warranty and have no issues so far. So as far as you stick to the big Chinese brands..you should be fine since you wont be doing any pixel peeping.

Only thing I would consider is the warranty...Just go with reviews on Amazon and Flipkart...Google the model so that others like croma/reliance can also be compared and in the end...go to an offline vendor and see if they give more warranty for same price. Try for ones with three year warranty even if you pay 5K more. Normally newly released TVs on Amazon and Flipkart come with three year warranty as introduction offer. So maybe look for Diwali releases to get the extended warranty

Hi,

Need to buy a really inexpensive 50" TV. This is for my golf sim, and if I like it I'll move to a projector. So, want to spend as little as possible. Seen some Mi, TCL, Hisense etc for around 30K. Which would you guys suggest at that price range?

Another TV question guys. Apparently to run the golf software at 4K you need a RTX 3080 with 12gb video ram. My current PC has a RTX 2070 with 8gb video ram. So, if I cant get it to run 4K, and the output is 1080, and I use a 4K TV, will I get crappy upscaling and a blurred image?

I see that when you reach 50 inches plus, all TVs are now 4K. Possible to adjust the resolution of the TV to match the graphics card output?

Small world, Doc (assuming you are the same Deepak). FWIW, as far as budget TVs go, Hisense is a good option (same A6H as recommended above). I got one for our workspace based on overall brightness and a supposedly anti-reflective coating, and it does a pretty good job. And has both Airplay and Chromecast, which was important for me. Post-sales service was decent, too - i had an issue with the Airplay and they sent a guy over the next day to fix it, which he did.

Thanks guys. Yup Vandit, it's me.
Was looking at a TCL but now checked out the Hisense advised here. Seems a decent pricing.

Their website doesn't say whether they have HDMI 2.1 or not. Is it true that without 2.1 I will be stuck at 30 fps? Was told this by someone but google says that HDMI 2 is adequate?

Any idea what the difference between these 2 models is?

Last edited:
HDMI 2.1 needed for 120fps as per what I have read, 60hz should be fine on HDMI 2.0. You just need to turn on HDMI enhanced mode in the tv to make sure you can use more gaming related features on your tv.

Small world, Doc (assuming you are the same Deepak). FWIW, as far as budget TVs go, Hisense is a good option (same A6H as recommended above). I got one for our workspace based on overall brightness and a supposedly anti-reflective coating, and it does a pretty good job. And has both Airplay and Chromecast, which was important for me. Post-sales service was decent, too - i had an issue with the Airplay and they sent a guy over the next day to fix it, which he did.
Whats your take between TCL and Hisense? I guess you would have checked out both?

HDMI 2.1 needed for 120fps as per what I have read, 60hz should be fine on HDMI 2.0. You just need to turn on HDMI enhanced mode in the tv to make sure you can use more gaming related features on your tv.
You can do 1080p or 1440p 120Hz on HDMI 2.0. Only for 4k 120Hz you need HDMI 2.0 But the TV panel needs to be 120Hz

I would suggest the Vu GloLED too. For your requirement the ALLM available on that TV would also help.
You don't need HDMI 2.1 for 60fps.
Also regarding blurry image with 1080 resolution, upscaling on budget TVs are so so and to be honest 1080p on 50" screen would be clear enough... so need not worry even if your graphic card cannot do 4K60 due to the load.

I think HDMI 2 does a max of 4k at 60 fps, and you need 2.1 for higher fps? I think you made a typo in your post
There is no typo. HDMI 2.0 can do 1080p and 1440p 120Hz. They both require lower bandwidth than 4K 60Hz and hence can be done easily.

You need HDMI 2.1 only when you need higher bandwidth than 18Gbps, so high refresh rate 4K or 1440p higher than 144 Hz

Whats your take between TCL and Hisense? I guess you would have checked out both?

I couldnt find a huge difference - in the end, I believe the Hisense panel is slightly brighter, based on what I could find and can beam from both Chromecast and AppleTV - that ended up being the deciding factor. As an added bonus, the Hisense remote has direct access buttons for Netflix, Prime, Liv and Hotstar (yeah, i know, i know... )

This TV is for the workspace, not for the HT room, so brightness was the main thing i was looking for.

I have played HD movies on it - streamed incredibly bad shark flicks from TubiTV and the quality was quite horrendous. But that could have been the native resolution of the movies themselves (maybe 720, not even full HD?)

There is no typo. HDMI 2.0 can do 1080p and 1440p 120Hz. They both require lower bandwidth than 4K 60Hz and hence can be done easily.

You need HDMI 2.1 only when you need higher bandwidth than 18Gbps, so high refresh rate 4K or 1440p higher than 144 Hz
You had said this

Only for 4k 120Hz you need HDMI 2.0

I think you meant you need HDMI 2.1 for this?

I would suggest the Vu GloLED too. For your requirement the ALLM available on that TV would also help.
You don't need HDMI 2.1 for 60fps.
Also regarding blurry image with 1080 resolution, upscaling on budget TVs are so so and to be honest 1080p on 50" screen would be clear enough... so need not worry even if your graphic card cannot do 4K60 due to the load.

So, can you play 1080 on a 4K? Can you change the resolution like a PC monitor? I thought that you cant do that?

So, can you play 1080 on a 4K? Can you change the resolution like a PC monitor? I thought that you cant do that?
You can with HDMI inputs if the HDMI device supports it. For example you can set the resolution on particular device to 1080 on a Laptop/Deskptop/4KFirestick/Console connected to a 4K TV.

You can with HDMI inputs if the HDMI device supports it. For example you can set the resolution on particular device to 1080 on a Laptop/Deskptop/4KFirestick/Console connected to a 4K TV.

Thanks, but wont the TV upscale it? And if the upscaling is crappy, the picture might be worse than the native 1080?

Thanks, but wont the TV upscale it? And if the upscaling is crappy, the picture might be worse than the native 1080?
In the budget you are seeking I doubt the TVs would do any upscaling, but even if they do, they won't make the quality crappy but just won't enhance it.. mostly add a little sharpness. The game mode in picture settings would turn off all the additional settings that might effect the picture quality. Atleast that's been my experience.

In the budget you are seeking I doubt the TVs would do any upscaling, but even if they do, they won't make the quality crappy but just won't enhance it.. mostly add a little sharpness. The game mode in picture settings would turn off all the additional settings that might effect the picture quality. Atleast that's been my experience.

Thanks.

Another TV question guys. Apparently to run the golf software at 4K you need a RTX 3080 with 12gb video ram. My current PC has a RTX 2070 with 8gb video ram. So, if I cant get it to run 4K, and the output is 1080, and I use a 4K TV, will I get crappy upscaling and a blurred image
Really depends on the graphics options of the software. Usually less vram means you will need to reduce the texture detail and model detail. In games that means the surfaces will look less detailed, and you may see potentially less things, especially at a distance. Assuming your filtering, AA etc are not undisturbed, you should still get sharp edges at 4k.

Really depends on how the options the software gives you

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back