Suggestions for av receiver and matching speakers primarily for music

amanker

I am more inclined to music listening than watching movies.
So my system is 90% of time it will be used for listening good music. Mostly Ghazals and Bollywood music from 50's to 60's and some later also. 10% of time may be new Bollywood music.

Firstly I already have Sony HT DDW1600 6.2 system. It has 2 floorstanders, 1 center and 3 surround and 2 active woofers.
I have Technics SL Q300 turntable with new Audio Technica at 85ep cartridge. Original cartridge is also in very good shape. And Pro-ject phono box E as phono stage.
And I am not at all satisfied with Sony System. It may be good for movies but not for music.

1. Should I go for good stereo receiver with good floorstanders?
2. Should I go for good 7.2 av system so that I can occasionally enjoy movies also.
3. Should I buy good 7.2 AV with pair of floorstanders and reuse same Sony woofers and surround speakers.

My budget is 60K for stereo and 1L for 5.1/7.2 system. And it's really flexible if I find really worth investing option.

Considered Yamaha R N602 with Polk T50 floorstanders.
Or
Denon x2400H with Polk T50 front, T15 surround, T30 center and PSW110 sub. (Polk 5.1 pack) later I will add 2 more T15

Please suggest keeping in mind that it will primarily used for music.

Within the budget of 100k and considering your interest, you can have great stereo system and average HT system. Now it depends on you what is your priority . There are so many FM switched from HT to Stereo system and still enjoying movies on two channels stereo. Myself own average HT system and the ratio of music to movies is 75:25. Investing in great stereo system is more enjoyable than in average HT system. Now days most of the cities have great multiplexes and you can enjoy movies in better way.

If it's 90% music then why not a stereo amp with two quality speakers. I find this combination good enough for occasional HT. Many even stick to this combination adding a subwoofer at best.

Simply put, you should invest ~1 lakh on AVR itself to match the performance of stereo amp costing ~40k. Your budget will get you a beautiful stereo setup which will keep you happy for quite some time.

If you insist on buying an AVR, get the fronts and AVR for now and use the existing speakers from the Sony HT for surround duties. You can drop the Polks and consider better alternatives. Sugest you spend atleast 50k or higher on the front speakers alone.

I too think that going the route of good AVR with good floorstanders will be a good option. And reusing Sony HT Sub and surround for movie. So that occasionally I might enjoy movies with family.

So please suggest good AVR with speakers (floorstanders).
Or AVR don't sound as good as stereo receivers? What's the difference in price of same sound quality stereo and multi channels avrs.

At some point I was inclined to purchase tube phono stage and 45W tube amplifier. (Chinese make) Yaqin MS23B phono pre and Yaqin MC13S amplifier (15k + 40k = 65k) approx.

Still there is no recommendations regarding which stereo amplifier and speakers I should buy. And if I want to buy AVR then which one will compete against that stereo amplifier.

Do anyone have any information regarding the tube amplifier and pre amplifier which I have mentioned in previous post?

You have two options to build great stereo and HT set which you can enjoy for longer time within 100k budget
Option 1..
Entry level av receiver with front channels pre out ( like Marantz NR series avr) and good floor standing speaker with above average sensitivity......
Later on add two channel PA or IA to enhance stereo listening experience ....
Later on add remaining speakers and subwoofer as budget permits
Option 2
Get very good Integrated amplifier with at least 80 to 100W rms with good book shelf speaker....
Later on add avr with front pre out and use existing amp as PA for front and avr will drive rest speakers...

Within your budget if you are open for pre owned components than you may get great component within budget from this forum. You may raise query in wanted section....

Please comment on the components I have chosen. Are they good or not? Please be specific about brand and model of avr and speakers.

I am more inclined to music listening than watching movies.
So my system is 90% of time it will be used for listening good music. Mostly Ghazals and Bollywood music from 50's to 60's and some later also. 10% of time may be new Bollywood music.

1. Should I go for good stereo receiver with good floorstanders?
2. Should I go for good 7.2 av system so that I can occasionally enjoy movies also.
3. Should I buy good 7.2 AV with pair of floorstanders and reuse same Sony woofers and surround speakers.

My budget is 60K for stereo and 1L for 5.1/7.2 system. And it's really flexible if I find really worth investing option.

A receiver for a Stereo setup is an Absolute NO from my side. Check out the Audiolab 6000A available on hifimart. Audition for speakers that your ears like and you should have a really good system. There was a lovely almost new pair of Q Acoustics bookshelves available in the Sale section.

MaSh

Please comment on audio quality (music) on following combination.
AVR (Yamaha Rx v685/ marantz nr1609/ Denon x2600H)
plus q acoustic 3050I
Vs
Stereo amplifier ( Yamaha R न602/ Marantz pm 6006/ audiolab 6000a)
Plus Q acoustic 3050i

Audiolab + 3050 would be great. Even Marantz Stereo amps are excellent. Mention the best quotes you got till date and members can help you with other options in the same budget range. However the Audiolab is well regarded and available at a very good price. It has Pre / Power mode i.e can be used as a power amp if you choose to go with an AVR at a later date. It's called HT Bypass function i think and it's the best of both worlds though a bit tricky to tune. Plus the DAC section improves versatility.

Still you seem to be undecided between AVR and IA. Why so, I am just curious. Even the lowest priced Marantz amp ~20k will be superior to the AVRs you listed.

What is your location? It is always better to give your location so that FMs can guide you to local dealers for auditioning.
What is your music source? Is it only records? Anything else? Just trying to figure out why you want a receiver.

There is no point in an AVR even with 75% music. Go with a stereo amp and speakers.
Another point is your room size and layout. That will help figure out bokshelves or floorstanders and speaker placement.

If you have the space, keep the existing Sony for movies and get a separate setup for music.

Still there is no recommendations regarding which stereo amplifier and speakers I should buy. And if I want to buy AVR then which one will compete against that stereo amplifier.
There are plenty of great brands in your budget.
Marantz, Yamaha, Acoustic Portrait, Lyrita, NAD, Norge, Chinese ones for amps.
Dali, Wharfedale, Mission, Norge, Q Acoustics, Elac, Monitor Audio, Fyne, Morel for speakers.

If you are okay with preowned gear, lot of good stuff comes up for sale. But you do need to take care.

Don't compare IA with AVR, they are build for different purposes. IA will always sound better than similarly price or power AVR. IA for better sound quality for great musical experience where as AVR for latest surround sound technology with great movie experience. That doesn't means avrs sound bad but you need to move top tier avr for better stereo performance. IA will have clean and more articulate sound with impressive level of details and clarity. But with limited options to trim the sound with basic tone controls and no acoustic calibration system. AVRs come with latest surround sound technology, Bass management, auto calibration system, multiple inputs , inbuilt music streaming etc. AVRs are better value for money product . There are certain brands like Arcam, Anthem, Rotal which perform better in both format but cost a bomb. Auditioned is the best way to judge equipment and your test/liking .
From your mentioned list ...I will choose Marantz NR1608/1609 avr as it has front pre out. So that in future I may use better and powerful PA/IA for better stereo performance. Marantz have great discounts on Hifi Mart so that I can save money.
Yamaha Stereo receiver with music streaming services is better one box solution . But I will also consider Yamaha RN803D, Marantz NR1200 and Denon DRA-800h.
From IA I will consider Audiolab 6000a first than Marantz ( have auditioned Marantz but not Audiolab).
Q Acoustic 3050i is better option for music as well as movies but need to be backup by sub for low end heft and extension.
Hope this may help you for decision.

Audiolab + 3050 would be great. Even Marantz Stereo amps are excellent. Mention the best quotes you got till date and members can help you with other options in the same budget range. However the Audiolab is well regarded and available at a very good price. It has Pre / Power mode i.e can be used as a power amp if you choose to go with an AVR at a later date. It's called HT Bypass function i think and it's the best of both worlds though a bit tricky to tune. Plus the DAC section improves versatility.

Still you seem to be undecided between AVR and IA. Why so, I am just curious. Even the lowest priced Marantz amp ~20k will be superior to the AVRs you listed.
Yes I am still undecided between AVR and IA. Why?
Its good to have some options with you even if you rarely use those. I have several items which I rarely use but I have those for novelty. Or you can just say that you should have everything, may be you don't use regularly, just for the sake of having it. :)
Sometimes I do enjoy movies. I always wait for original print to come out, may be online streaming or buying. So if I have option of having option of both movies and musics with addition of some additional bucks why shouldn't I have it. Lets for example if I buy an IA amount to 40k and I have an option to buy an AVR amounting to 60k with almost similar sounding in music. Then I should invest in that AVR and initially I should buy good matching musical speakers and my existing sony sub and surround to that, which can be upgraded later.
Another thing is I don't have large room or separate room to accommodate both separate HiFi and movies setup. My equipment rack is already overloaded. I had to keep some items in packaging box in store. So I don't want to add both IA and AVR.

What is your location? It is always better to give your location so that FMs can guide you to local dealers for auditioning.
What is your music source? Is it only records? Anything else? Just trying to figure out why you want a receiver.

There is no point in an AVR even with 75% music. Go with a stereo amp and speakers.
Another point is your room size and layout. That will help figure out bokshelves or floorstanders and speaker placement.

If you have the space, keep the existing Sony for movies and get a separate setup for music.

There are plenty of great brands in your budget.
Marantz, Yamaha, Acoustic Portrait, Lyrita, NAD, Norge, Chinese ones for amps.
Dali, Wharfedale, Mission, Norge, Q Acoustics, Elac, Monitor Audio, Fyne, Morel for speakers.

If you are okay with preowned gear, lot of good stuff comes up for sale. But you do need to take care.
I am living in a very small city (Bikaner, Rajasthan), its basically a small town like. So I don't have an option of auditioning. I have to rely on online reviews and other users experiences. And I had to go blindly for items I have decided. Many times I have regretted for the decision but I dont have any option of first experiencing than buying. Its the age of online marketing which enabled users like me in small town to taste some good stuff. Other wise earlier its was impossible.
Music source:
Primarily records since I have heavily invested in buying records. Some good FLACs and other lossless files. And some music streaming services. You can say Vinyl:Lossless:Streaming=80:15:5 :)

Yes I dont have musch space thats why I want AVR if possible with somewhat similar sounding music.

Don't compare IA with AVR, they are build for different purposes. IA will always sound better than similarly price or power AVR. IA for better sound quality for great musical experience where as AVR for latest surround sound technology with great movie experience. That doesn't means avrs sound bad but you need to move top tier avr for better stereo performance. IA will have clean and more articulate sound with impressive level of details and clarity. But with limited options to trim the sound with basic tone controls and no acoustic calibration system. AVRs come with latest surround sound technology, Bass management, auto calibration system, multiple inputs , inbuilt music streaming etc. AVRs are better value for money product . There are certain brands like Arcam, Anthem, Rotal which perform better in both format but cost a bomb. Auditioned is the best way to judge equipment and your test/liking .
From your mentioned list ...I will choose Marantz NR1608/1609 avr as it has front pre out. So that in future I may use better and powerful PA/IA for better stereo performance. Marantz have great discounts on Hifi Mart so that I can save money.
Yamaha Stereo receiver with music streaming services is better one box solution . But I will also consider Yamaha RN803D, Marantz NR1200 and Denon DRA-800h.
From IA I will consider Audiolab 6000a first than Marantz ( have auditioned Marantz but not Audiolab).
Q Acoustic 3050i is better option for music as well as movies but need to be backup by sub for low end heft and extension.
Hope this may help you for decision.
Technically AVR is superset of IA with more options but also has its own disadvantage of unwanted electronic interference that is difficult to keep at minimal level. Lets for example which AVR I can buy which is sounding similar to Yamaha R N602. If there is difference of say 20k then I will go for AVR. if its much more, than I have no option left other than keeping my Sony system for movies and adding IA and floor standers for music.

One additional question still remained unanswered:
Do anyone auditioned those (Chinese make) Yaqin MS23B phono pre and Yaqin MC13S amplifier (15k + 40k = 65k) approx.

Oh understood your requirement now. In that case better go for Marantz SR series, any model in SR series would be good for music also even last year ones. I think Marantz is the only brand accessible to us which works for music and movies. Iam using the NR series and it would be ideal for small to medium rooms. But if you buy power hungry speakers or the room is bigger then SQ will suffer. So better stretch to get the SR series. You can still manage with lower power AVR if you choose higher sensitive speakers above 90DB rated for 8ohms.

In my opinion Marantz is clearly better than Yamaha / Denon / Onkyo. However audition and see if you like others.

Edit Just saw your post about your location, I too am located in a small town, so understand your predicament. Suggest to stick to the mainstream or popular options if you cannot audition. It would be easier and less costly to upgrade if you don't like the quality.

Last edited:
C
Yes I am still undecided between AVR and IA. Why?
Its good to have some options with you even if you rarely use those. I have several items which I rarely use but I have those for novelty. Or you can just say that you should have everything, may be you don't use regularly, just for the sake of having it. :)
Sometimes I do enjoy movies. I always wait for original print to come out, may be online streaming or buying. So if I have option of having option of both movies and musics with addition of some additional bucks why shouldn't I have it. Lets for example if I buy an IA amount to 40k and I have an option to buy an AVR amounting to 60k with almost similar sounding in music. Then I should invest in that AVR and initially I should buy good matching musical speakers and my existing sony sub and surround to that, which can be upgraded later.
Another thing is I don't have large room or separate room to accommodate both separate HiFi and movies setup. My equipment rack is already overloaded. I had to keep some items in packaging box in store. So I don't want to add both IA and AVR.
considering your requirement, your best bet would be a Marantz SR series AVR.
This is available at a bargain: https://www.hifimart.com/marantz/marantz-sr5013-av-receiver.html

QAcoustics 3050i should match up well with these. The rest of the surround speakers you can add later, as and when required.
A note on the 3050i, these are polite sounding speakers, they are musical and meant for long listening sessions, they don't tire you out. Don't expect them to cut through with a sharp sound, some might find their sound signature underwhelming.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back