Suggestions for CD player that can be used as DAC as well

Miany

Hi All,

I am having a Schiit Yggdrasil now. I was thinking of getting a dedicated CD transport for the same. In fact, almost bought Denafrips Avatar transport had it not been for the 3 months waiting.

Lately, i have been thinking of getting a dedicated CD player (only for the sake of maintaining a single box than CDT and DAC separately) that can used as a stand-alone DAC as well..something like a Marantz SA-10 or a Pioneer PD 70 AE. Do i have any other options? I am looking for something with BALANCED outputs only.

I certainly dont want to take a hit on SQ for convenience though. Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Miany

Hi Miany,

Have you taken a look at Marantz SA8005 SACD player with DAC. It has USB Type B, Coax and Optical inputs. I believe it was available on Hifimart some time back. I haven't heard this one yet. There are not that many reviews but Marantz SACD players sound great and are much better build than their entry CD player.

Edit:
Just realised that this one does not have balanced outputs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Miany,

Have you taken a look at Marantz SA8005 SACD player with DAC. It has USB Type B, Coax and Optical inputs. I believe it was available on Hifimart some time back. I haven't heard this one yet. There are not that many reviews but Marantz SACD players sound great and are much better build than their entry CD player.

Regards,
Shyam.

Yes. In fact, i had one. Sold last year. I was primarily using that as a CDT with my Yggdrasil. Yes. It was really well-built and good sounding too. Now looking at something in the range of SA-10, which will help me achieving a single box solution.

Yes. In fact, i had one. Sold last year. I was primarily using that as a CDT with my Yggdrasil. Yes. It was really well-built and good sounding too. Now looking at something in the range of SA-10, which will help me achieving a single box solution.
Another one that comes to my mind is the wonderful but now-discontinued Oppo UDP-205. I have UDP-203 (without balanced outputs) and it sounds great as a CD/SACD player probably better than most $1500+ dedicated CD players.

Hi All,
something like a Marantz SA-10 or a Pioneer PD 70 AE. Do i have any other options? I am looking for something with BALANCED

Thanks,
Miany

Between these two I would recommend marantz. Few months ago I too was undecided between these two but then I came across following thread on hfv.

I exchanged few offline messages with a senior FM and he advised me to go with marantz.

However at that price point there are quite a few other contenders which more knowledgeable FM would have more to tell.

Yes. I too have read some really positive reviews about SA-10. I think they have patented the DAC implementation in SA-10 (Marantz Musical Mastering or something). Let me know if you remember the other players that you considered in the similar price range.
Edit:
Sorry I forgot to post the link.
Here it is

Between these two I would recommend marantz. Few months ago I too was undecided between these two but then I came across following thread on hfv.

I exchanged few offline messages with a senior FM and he advised me to go with marantz.

However at that price point there are quite a few other contenders which more knowledgeable FM would have more to tell.

Yes. I too have read some really positive reviews about SA-10. I think they have patented the DAC implementation in SA-10 (Marantz Musical Mastering or something). Let me know if you remember the other players that you considered in the similar price range.

SA-10 looks awesome. I haven't heard any CD player at this price point. I really need to upgrade my CD player. My 2000+ CDs are not getting their due.

SA-10 looks awesome. I haven't heard any CD player at this price point. I really need to upgrade my CD player. My 2000+ CDs are not getting their due.

Yes Man... if you have so many CDs, you need a high quality player for sure. Hifimart is offering 8005 for around 78K i think.

Yes Man... if you have so many CDs, you need a high quality player for sure. Hifimart is offering 8005 for around 78K i think.
I had a 10 year old Naim CD5 XS which I had to sell (along with most of my 120v electronics ) when I moved back to India last year. I bought a Marantz CD6006 as a stop-gap while I was rebuilding my systems. I haven't had a chance to buy a better CD player yet. Hope to do sometime. Thanks for tip re SA8005. Will take a look. There's a FM offering Naim Nait CD5si... That's intersting as well.

Hi All,

I am having a Schiit Yggdrasil now. I was thinking of getting a dedicated CD transport for the same. In fact, almost bought Denafrips Avatar transport had it not been for the 3 months waiting.

Lately, i have been thinking of getting a dedicated CD player (only for the sake of maintaining a single box than CDT and DAC separately) that can used as a stand-alone DAC as well..something like a Marantz SA-10 or a Pioneer PD 70 AE. Do i have any other options? I am looking for something with BALANCED outputs only.

I certainly dont want to take a hit on SQ for convenience though. Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Miany
It may not be a bad idea to wait. Buying a CD transport can help in adding a new DAC in future to enjoy a different sound signature. Unless, this CD player is the last of your audio purchases. But that is not going to be the case right ?

Unless, this CD player is the last of your audio purchases. But that is not going to be the case right ?

Absolutely spot on! Even though we all think that every purchase is going to be the last or at least last few years, most of the time we end up upgrading it sooner.

Schiit Yggdrasil is an exemption for me though. I never wanted a CD player for an SQ improvement. Its purely because of the convenience of maintaining a single box solution avoiding CDT + DAC and the digital interconnects in between.

Decided to keep my Yggy... From various inputs, i get a feeling a that SQ improvement may not be possible with my current budget if i go for a one box CP Player + DAC combination. Dont want to take a risk....

So ordered a Marantz SA8005 from Hifimart. Will be primarily using that as a transport along with the occasional SACD playback.

Thanks for all the inputs!

Decided to keep my Yggy... From various inputs, i get a feeling a that SQ improvement may not be possible with my current budget if i go for a one box CP Player + DAC combination. Dont want to take a risk....

So ordered a Marantz SA8005 from Hifimart. Will be primarily using that as a transport along with the occasional SACD playback.

Thanks for all the inputs!

Hi, Can you pls tell me your impressions of SA8005 especially in comparison to other SACD players? Thanks.

Hi, Can you pls tell me your impressions of SA8005 especially in comparison to other SACD players? Thanks.

I am yet to receive the player.. its in transit...Anyway, i have used SA8005 before. Its pretty decent for the money and build quality is superb too.
The other CD players that i have used are an entry level Denon, Creek Audio 50 CD and NAD Masters M5. To be honest, i dont exactly remember how each one of these sounded, for a comparison.

I really enjoyed the smooth sound from Creek Audio 50 and if i remember correctly, NAD was more organic. Creeks build quality is comparatively poor. I remember the optical output port cover getting damaged easily. Also, when used as a CDT with my Yggy, the "bad source" indicator was always on, suggesting pretty high jitter in the incoming digital stream from the player. Never had that issue with NAD and SA8005.

I will post my listening impressions once i have get SA8005 in my current setup.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back