Suggestions for Dedicated HT

hydrovac

My sister is building a new house with full home automation and a dedicated home theater room for watching movies. 29X15. Ceiling height steps from 11' to 12'. Behind the screen and concealed speakers. Budget 35 to 40 L.

Here is a quick idea of my approach in 4 steps.

Design coordinating the acoustics guy and architect. Room treatment, sound proofing, decide where the equipment will be, speaker location, screen location, wall color, lighting solutions, flooring, furniture, wall art.
Infrastructure - Install all the wiring (speakers, electrical), install conduit you may need, then the insulation, anything behind the scenes which can't be seen.
Completion of room Drywall, taping, sanding, priming, painting, wall outlets, flooring install, trim, doors. This would be a good time to order equipment: speakers, cables, wires from media room. So to have it in time after the walls are dry, and flooring is laid.
Equipment - Install equipment, and bring in furniture.

Planning for customized seating from Recliners India. The front row is only an option. I am posting few pics of the site and lay out of the theater.
Your suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Last edited:
@hydrovac... thats some serious budget and that place looks damn big :)

i would suggest to get pro people involved and makes changes as per FM advise and comfort for the users..

a few points i have noticed with practical usage :

1 with that budget go for good sound proofing.
2 try to get lots of power outlets.
3 also get wiring done for 5 amp/ 15 amp sockets seperately.
4 plan for good CVT's and power backup.

@hydrovac... thats some serious budget and that place looks damn big :)

i would suggest to get pro people involved and makes changes as per FM advise and comfort for the users..

a few points i have noticed with practical usage :

1 with that budget go for good sound proofing.
2 try to get lots of power outlets.
3 also get wiring done for 5 amp/ 15 amp sockets seperately.
4 plan for good CVT's and power backup.

@theironhorse, My main emphasis is on room treatment and sound proofing. In Hyd I have seen couple of high end home theaters up to and above 1 cr, where the so called pro people without basics, have goofed up with pathetic installations.

Thanks for the guidelines.

With that budget one should check out Genelec active speakers and sub for HT. Large Speaker Systems

@sash, I am looking at genelecs and custom built 15" JBL subs.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently advised a realtive of mine on a similar HT with approx. similar budget. The Architect suggested vector, so due to my relative's insistence I worked with them.
However, I did the entire layout and equipment selection by myself. Another thing, though the Vector guys have a lot of experience their proposals did not involve concealing the equipment, spkrs. etc. IMO at this level, everything has to be concealed unless the owner/user is a gearhead. So I designed a front cabinet to concel all the equipment, front 3 spkrs,. sub and finally fixed screen with a motorized curtain. Secondly even at this level there was hardly any suggestion of room treatment which I have gotten involved and have specd out corner bass traps and First reflection point absorbers and rear wall diffuser. Thirdly they do not get involved in seating which again I specd. out from a third party HT seating supplier. Finally I rechecked all electricals to the room with the electrical contractor, made sure that a dedicated circuit was included for the HT room at the MCB level and a dedicated 3kva servo. stab. will be placed at the MCB for this room. The whole house has a separate servo. stab and spike guard. I also checked the HVAC setup for the room, making sure ac noise will not be an intrusion by inclusion of 2 ceiling mount noiseless casette units. So my advice, while getting the pro's in is fine, one has to be deeply involved in what they are proposing to get a great HT. otherwise one may not realize the full potential of the monies spent.
Cheers,
Sid

Get the electricians to install a RCCB for the dedicated electronics. Great peace of mind for the user.

Hi Sid,

Thanks for the quick responses! I've actually read some good info during research these past couple of months.

There are a couple of questions that I have, that are gnawing at me as I try to gather the numerous facts and tips from the web. From the picture, on one side there will be an exercise room and on the other a swimming pool, general game/entertainment area. Above the living areas. It's not extremely important to go crazy reducing the sound perceived in the adjacent basement areas. I can deal with some muffled base in that area.

1. I've read that it's best to avoid in-wall speakers when soundproofing a room. I wouldn't mind that, except that I would not have space in back of the last row of seating. But I don't think in-wall would be a problem for the rear speakers in my case if I build a backer box, since the wall will be decoupled. Any thoughts? Can in-wall speakers provide robust sound for a HT?

2. I can't find any good recommendations for how much space between both walls is recommended. Just "as much as possible." I realize that the more the better, but since the room size is constrained, I don't want to space them more than 6 inches apart. Any suggestions as to what the minimum spacing might be without it being a pointless endeavor?

My first step in this process is to study everything I can about room treatment. Once I'm comfortable with that, I'll start consolidating all of my info on screen, projector and electronics. I will keep you updated on the progress.

Thanks

1. I've read that it's best to avoid in-wall speakers when soundproofing a room. I wouldn't mind that, except that I would not have space in back of the last row of seating. But I don't think in-wall would be a problem for the rear speakers in my case if I build a backer box, since the wall will be decoupled. Any thoughts? Can in-wall speakers provide robust sound for a HT?

Thanks

I did not like in-walls, ones I have heard sounded dynamically restricted. Also if you do use inwalls make sure you get the ones where the tweeter can be rotated so as to focus sounds, because they are permanent once mounted. However if you want to hide the speakers, a cabinet can be built with the speakers inside and acoustically transparent cloth for doors (I am using speaker grille cloth). Please see rendering of the HT that I am working on. The L,R and Ctr along with sub. will be placed in the cabinet, which will also house the perm wall screen with a motorized thick velour curtain that will open when the projector is fired up. All equipment is located in the cabinet with an IR repeater for remote The side and rear surround speakers are on-walls so should be no intrusion.
Cheers,
Sid

Attachments

• ht1.jpg
    ht1.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 101
  • ht2.jpg
    ht2.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 102
With that budget one should check out Genelec active speakers and sub for HT. Large Speaker Systems

+ 1. Serious, kickass stuff. But does it fit in the budget. May be the smaller ones might: HT312Bs.

Not sure. Check the above actives for instance. We heard at Pandam demo room. One word. Amazing. Ofcourse you need enough clearance to mount them.

Some of the best HTs have in-wall speakers. This is an example:
Inside a $3 Million Home Theater Masterpiece - Spotlight Article from CE Pro