Suggestions for In wall / On wall speakers for HT

Mayank Shah

Hello, have to setup a 5.1 HT for someone and looking at slim speaker options for LCR. In wall is preferred, but the depth of the false wooden panelling could be an issue, hence open to on wall options as well.

There are the usual options of Dali, Mica, Monoprice, Polk etc., Hoping to get feedback from FM's who are using/ have used such speakers for HT. Thanks in advance.

If it is a purely HT setup, add Elac Debut 2.0 OW4.2 to the list.
Have not heard them personally, but size and specs make them worth exploring.
Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks raghupb, will surely look into it, should have mentioned that the setup would also be used for music quite often.

Hello, have to setup a 5.1 HT for someone and looking at slim speaker options for LCR. In wall is preferred, but the depth of the false wooden panelling could be an issue, hence open to on wall options as well.

There are the usual options of Dali, Mica, Monoprice, Polk etc., Hoping to get feedback from FM's who are using/ have used such speakers for HT. Thanks in advance.
Also check out xtz spirit 6. It’s a slim LCR.

Sonodyne has In-wall speakers.. You may check them.. Check the reqd depth for the speakers to mount, incase it is inwall..

http://sonodyne.com/sonodyne-residential/prime/i-w-o-series.html

Sonodyne are pretty affordable.. I had enqd sometimeback (IWO 522), and it was around 17K per piece..

If you are look for on-wall and shallow depth speakers, you may as well consider Taga Harmony Platinum LCR 60 SL.. SL is slim series, with just 10cm depth.. I have them in the living room..

Check out for Jamo D500 or D600 LCR speakers depending on Budget ,it's a beautiful sounding speakers for movies.
D600 will be costly one comparatively than D500.. but D500 should do the job.
In Dali Opticon ,Oberon On wall series are available which I haven't heard personally.

If u a have good high budget checkout for M&K on wall series.

What's your budget?

These are my in walls... Speakercraft PROFILE AIM CINEMA FIVE

View attachment 48481

mighty pleased with their performance.
View attachment 48480

Thanks, they certainly look imposing. Seems like LCR has to be mounted vertically only.

Checked the depth, approximately 4 inches of air gap is available and most inwalls seem to require roughly that much.

Have been looking into all the suggestions and these......
1. Polk 265 RT & 265 LS
2. Kef Ci 4100 QL
3. Monoprice Amber series
4. Klipsch Pro 25 RW
5. Dali H60/ H80
6. XTZ - some options.

LR can be mounted vertically, but only a horizontal centre ch orientation is possible due to the TV screen.

Last edited:
Checked the depth, approximately 4 inches of air gap is available and most inwalls seem to require roughly that much.

1. Polk 265 RT & 265 LS
2. Kef Ci 4100 QL
4. Klipsch Pro 25 RW
5. Dali H60/ H80
6. XTZ - some options.

LR can be mounted vertically, but only a horizontal centre ch orientation is possible due to the TV screen.
Focal 300iw lcr 6 is an In wall which can be placed in both orientation because of its 3 way design with tweeter and mid range driver can be rotated.
And has very good on and off axis response both horizontal and vertical.

Ditch the TV and move to PJ + AT screen, which will allow you to mount the center also vertically :p ..
Would have ditched long back if it were possible. :D

Focal 300iw lcr 6 is an In wall which can be placed in both orientation because of its 3 way design with tweeter and mid range driver can be rotated.
And has very good on and off axis response both horizontal and vertical.
Monitor Audio also has rotating tweeter, unfortunately Focal and MA In-walls cost a bomb.

So far I've gathered that there are basically 2 types of inwalls. Open back and closed back.

As of now I think that the closed backs are more of a well thought option to mount it On-wall as well. There maybe more to it.

Many videos show inwalls as simply being mounted on "false walls" with some " Air gap" which would obviously have some " Volume". If we install an Open back in such a space, then this void would become the cabinet so to speak.

Some manufacturers mention recommended Volume in Liters. As I've never heard an In-wall before, I wonder how this air gap would affect the SQ. Some volume maybe good actually, but wouldn't it be against its intended design?

How far is your seat from the speakers..
And how loud do you listen ?

1. Polk 265 RT & 265 LS
2. Kef Ci 4100 QL
4. Klipsch Pro 25 RW
5. Dali H60/ H80
6. XTZ - some options.

Dali Opticon LCR has rotatable Ribbon tweeter.

JBL has a few In-wall options. Arena series seems interesting. Perhaps JBL Arena users can share their views.

After much pondering, I think, inwalls would be more of a hassle to me. Looking at on-walls now. First thing comes to mind are Dali Oberon/Opticon series.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back