Suggestions for light weight rear speakers

adi_vastava

Hi,

I finally have the Sub (astonia) and it is sounding good. I am looking for rear surround speakers now. I will be wall-mounting them at right and left of the sitting position; at approx 8-8.5 feet height (no wall at right to place them below).

So I will need some thing which is really light weight.

Another thing I also wanted to ask is about sensitivity and impedence; my front and center sensitivity is 91 db and 6 ohms. Do I need to match that, for example Onlyo SKR 4700(which I don't know is good or bad); is around 87 db and 8 ohms.

Based on what I read on forum and online is if receiver recommends 6 Ohms than 6 or higher impedance is fine(or not?). About sensitivity though I was not clear; will my Yamaha v373 will be able to drive this on 87 db.(considering the front/center are more sensitive; will it make them sound brighter than the rear)

Last any suggestions on SKR 4700 or other speakers.

Thanks

Last edited:
Yamaha RX-V373 with Yamaha NS-P60 and Astonia SUB. I do not want to stretch a lot as very few of my sources are 5.1; but just for that occasional high time; when you want to hear that gun shot from the back.

You mentioned you do not want to stretch.. But you need to give a rough amount for us to know your idea of stretch.

1. Check with Yamaha if you can get an extra pair of the sats only. You could even consider buying another P60 set and use only the sats.
2. Check out Indian brands like Telome, Space, DNM.
3. See if you can find a timbre matched pair which you can use for fronts and put the sats for rears.

1. Check with Yamaha if you can get an extra pair of the sats only. You could even consider buying another P60 set and use only the sats.
2. Check out Indian brands like Telome, Space, DNM.
3. See if you can find a timbre matched pair which you can use for fronts and put the sats for rears.

When you say timbre matched pair; do you mean that front speakers timbre should match with center?

As mentioned above Indian, try the brand Space. They used to be 4k a pair. Light and since you want them for those occasional effects, these are great and do not distort at high volumes like most HTiB sats do. Below are Telome that I have heard of, but never used, but the space I have used look EXACTLY the same.

92853_surround.jpg

When you say timbre matched pair; do you mean that front speakers timbre should match with center?

Yes. Ideally the fronts and centre should be from the same series. Different but timbre matched speakers can also be used.
Here auditioning is very important. Take your speakers with you to compare with others.
Timbre matching for rear speakers is not that important.
Maybe another P60 might be your best option.

You will find discussions on Telome etc Indian brands in this forum also.

Last edited:
BTW what sensitivity should I go for? My front/center are 91 and sound great. Can I buy a rear with 87db and add extra 4 dbs from receiver.

Any suggestions guys?

How about JBL Control 1C ?. They are bright, fast, responsive, are big sounding and light weight too (1.8kg only).
2 way -- 5.5" MID-WOOFER + 3/4" POLYCARBONATE DOME TWEETER crossing at 6KHz.
Sensitivity 86dB SPL/1W.
Freq Resp 120Hz - 20KHz.
Power Handling 150W.
Impedence 4 ohms.

Vivek

Last edited:
hi all,
my requirement is somewhat same, can you suggest me good center and surround speakers .i currently have wharfe 9.5 FS and yamaha avr 467. quality should be good. budget total is 15 k.

How about JBL Control 1C ?. They are bright, fast, responsive, are big sounding and light weight too (1.8kg only).
2 way -- 5.5" MID-WOOFER + 3/4" POLYCARBONATE DOME TWEETER crossing at 6KHz.
Sensitivity 86dB SPL/1W.
Freq Resp 120Hz - 20KHz.
Power Handling 150W.
Impedence 4 ohms.

Vivek

I think 4 ohms will not be suitable for my AVR.

hi all,
my requirement is somewhat same, can you suggest me good center and surround speakers .i currently have wharfe 9.5 FS and yamaha avr 467. quality should be good. budget total is 15 k.

Hey buddy, 15k for a good center and surrounds is kinda tough, unless you are ok with Indian Brands. The Space center my brother has is phenomenal, though its bulky its great, i do not know if its still available.

But i would suggest buy a good center first, and probally buy indian surrounds. or just buy the center now and save up for better surrounds if surrounds are of prime importance.

The OP doesn't intend to used the surrounds to a great extent, so yeah.

+1 on that.
hi all,

Hey, you have good AVR and fronts. Do't spoil it by saving on the rest of the setup. Get a Wharfe 9 series centre channel if you can find one else a 10 series. Save up and buy surrounds later or up your budget to get both now. You do need to match fronts and centre. Surrounds can be a little different.

Back