Suggestions for New Sub

SreejithCNair

Hi

I am looking for a sub that complements well with my current setup of NR1506 and Diamond 225 bookshelves.
My listening area is small at ~1200 cubic feet and preference of 60:40 towards music. My preference was single emotiva BasX S10 but there aren't many reviews to back them. Looking for suggestion/advice

Thanks!

Hi

I am looking for a sub that complements well with my current setup of NR1506 and Diamond 225 bookshelves.
My listening area is small at ~1200 cubic feet and preference of 60:40 towards music. My preference was single emotiva BasX S10 but there aren't many reviews to back them. Looking for suggestion/advice

Thanks!

May be you should provide your preferences (front firing/down firing), Price, subwoofer size in inches, etc.,

If you brief your requirements specifically, FMs would be able to throw you tons of options...:)

Last edited:
Missed those info, didn't I...

This is gonna be my first decent sub hence am flexible on whether it would be front or down firing (although my floor is not carpeted, if that helps)
Budget ceiling at 40K.
Was looking at 10" size since my listening area may not go beyond 1500 cubic feet, would like to vet this. Also may not the luxury of having 2 small subs coz of the room layout.
There is very limited review on Emotiva BasX subs, but reviews did generate interest.
Does this info suffice?

Missed those info, didn't I...

This is gonna be my first decent sub hence am flexible on whether it would be front or down firing (although my floor is not carpeted, if that helps)
Budget ceiling at 40K.
Was looking at 10" size since my listening area may not go beyond 1500 cubic feet, would like to vet this. Also may not the luxury of having 2 small subs coz of the room layout.
There is very limited review on Emotiva BasX subs, but reviews did generate interest.
Does this info suffice?

Keep your options open when it comes to audio. It is not the brand that decides the overall sound stage rather the individual components. It also matters what kind of amplifier it has. Most of the subwoofers come with Class D amplifiers. These days the sub woofers come with state of the art BASH amplifier. You may consider its frequency range that it plays say 25Hz to 180Hz, how lower and deeper it goes, cone material (paper, polypropylene, kevlar, aramid fiber, aluminum etc.,), etc.,

I had various sub woofers in my mind say Polk DSW550i, KEF C4, Polk 110, Taga TSW 200, Taga SW 10 v2.0, Emotiva BasX S10, S12, Velodyne Impact 10, 12, Space Technologies Power-FL12 (all are fit in your budget).

But finally settled down with BIC Acoustech PL200. I have never heard much about BIC but after reading lots of reviews, I finally went for one. My room size is 10 X 14 not a big space at all. In my setup, my sub woofer is very powerful at 2/10 volume points and fills the room. It neither distorts or produces any port noise. Being a big sub woofer does not mean it would be louder and harsh. It would be going deeper and tight when it plays any LFE.

My suggestion would be, don't stick with a sub for its brand rather be open and listen to various sub woofers and pick one. I would vouch for mine because it's worth for its price, packed with solid construction, warranty etc., I have been enjoying its cinematic experience (Yes, it sounds like theatre). Ask for opinion and input, everyone here would be happy to help you!

Last edited:
+1 to Sriram ji.

I am also using BIC America subwoofer model F-12. The subwoofer is very promising. Goes very low. I am highly impressed with its performance.

Also it will be well within your budget.

Thanks
Amit Nigam

These are the places to audition:

ProFx MG road : Polk
HT Store, JP Nagar : SVS, Velodyne, Emotiva , Taga

These are the places to audition:

ProFx MG Road: Polk
HT Store, JP Nagar: SVS, Velodyne, Emotiva, Taga

To add to your list,

ProSonics - Santhosh (BIC America, NHT)- Basaveshwara Nagar - +919341112580
Jamsticks - Vikram (Taga Harmony, Boston Acoustics) - J.P.Nagar (Close to Banashankari Bus Stand) - +919591466633

Last edited:
I have recently purchased Emotiva S12 sub. Before purchasing this sub, I had auditioned SVS SB-1000, PB 2000. Though lot of people praise these subs I was not very happy with the performance. I was looking for a sub that may not be very loud but the base must be tight. I am very happy with performance of Emotiva Sub. The best part is that the sub is very good for both movies & music. Really integrates well in music.

I had been in touch with Emotiva Distributor (Acoustic Arts) for some time & he offered me a home demo of Emotiva. He was kind enough to send Emotiva Sub from Delhi to Mumbai. After keeping it for 2 days, I bought it.

It seems you are from mumbai. If interested, you can come over to my residence for audition of Emotiva S12.

Keep your options open when it comes to audio. It is not the brand that decides the overall sound stage rather the individual components. It also matters what kind of amplifier it has. Most of the subwoofers come with Class D amplifiers. These days the sub woofers come with state of the art BASH amplifier. You may consider its frequency range that it plays say 25Hz to 180Hz, how lower and deeper it goes, cone material (paper, polypropylene, kevlar, aramid fiber, aluminum etc.,), etc.,

I had various sub woofers in my mind say Polk DSW550i, KEF C4, Polk 110, Taga TSW 200, Taga SW 10 v2.0, Emotiva BasX S10, S12, Velodyne Impact 10, 12, Space Technologies Power-FL12 (all are fit in your budget).

But finally settled down with BIC Acoustech PL200. I have never heard much about BIC but after reading lots of reviews, I finally went for one. My room size is 10 X 14 not a big space at all. In my setup, my sub woofer is very powerful at 2/10 volume points and fills the room. It neither distorts or produces any port noise. Being a big sub woofer does not mean it would be louder and harsh. It would be going deeper and tight when it plays any LFE.

My suggestion would be, don't stick with a sub for its brand rather be open and listen to various sub woofers and pick one. I would vouch for mine because it's worth for its price, packed with solid construction, warranty etc., I have been enjoying its cinematic experience (Yes, it sounds like theatre). Ask for opinion and input, everyone here would be happy to help you!

Interesting. I am not hung up on a particular Brand. I am from Mumbai and not much of the reviewed Brands are available for audition, hence relying on reviews and valuable inputs from you all.
I had read about SB/PB-1000, HSU, REL, BIC, Sunfire and Emotiva (limited). But Emotiva got rave review albeit limited(since its a recent launch) and got compared with the heavy weights save some settings. Additionally Emotiva was the lowest in terms of price as well though I will need to read more as to which settings are absent in Emotiva. My listening preference is 60:40 tilting to Music.
I can see SunilKM also has an S12, would request for his experience.

I have recently purchased Emotiva S12 sub. Before purchasing this sub, I had auditioned SVS SB-1000, PB 2000. Though lot of people praise these subs I was not very happy with the performance. I was looking for a sub that may not be very loud but the base must be tight. I am very happy with performance of Emotiva Sub. The best part is that the sub is very good for both movies & music. Really integrates well in music.

I had been in touch with Emotiva Distributor (Acoustic Arts) for some time & he offered me a home demo of Emotiva. He was kind enough to send Emotiva Sub from Delhi to Mumbai. After keeping it for 2 days, I bought it.

It seems you are from mumbai. If interested, you can come over to my residence for audition of Emotiva S12.

Hi djalan. Acoustic Arts gave a home demo? do they need a confirmation of purchase to get this demo? How much did S12 cost you?
Can you describe your set up and is your listening area less than 1500cub feet. am sorry that was lot of questions...

Interesting. I am not hung up on a particular Brand. I am from Mumbai and not much of the reviewed Brands are available for audition, hence relying on reviews and valuable inputs from you all.
I had read about SB/PB-1000, HSU, REL, BIC, Sunfire and Emotiva (limited). But Emotiva got rave review albeit limited(since its a recent launch) and got compared with the heavy weights save some settings. Additionally Emotiva was the lowest in terms of price as well though I will need to read more as to which settings are absent in Emotiva. My listening preference is 60:40 tilting to Music.

Ok, by mistake took the location as Bangalore.
I have posted my feedback on BasX S12 here,

http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/67172-bought-emotiva-basx-s12.html

Recently FM "djalan" from Mumbai purchased S12. You may check with him for dealer details.

Emotiva BasX S12 is also a very good choice. After your audition, check with the dealer for a discount. If you get a good deal, you should go for it... :clapping:

Hi

I used a BIC America H100ii for almost 2 yrs ..now switched to BIC America PL200....the experience continues to be very warm and positive...

Hi

I used a BIC America H100ii for almost 2 yrs ..now switched to BIC America PL200....the experience continues to be very warm and positive...

The good part is they give good warranty period for the sub woofer and the electronic circuits. The subwoofer carries 8 years warranty and 2 years for the BASH amplifier.

Last edited:
Also wanted to understand this. The diamonds I have has range starting from 40Hz and the Bass is decent. A Sub that has a frequency range starting from 30Hz. How big would be the difference of 10Hz.

Yes, I had home demo of Emotiva S12.

Actually it all started when I contacted Acoustic Arts for demo of velodyne. They asked me to contact their authorized dealer Alliance 4 at Goregaon. Alliance4 had only SVS SB1000. In the mean time, I also got in touch with FM @anandk2710, who was also looking for a new setup for his residence. Both of us went to Alliance4. We did not like SB1000. It was not able to produce the impact. There was only rumble and no punch. I thought may be the piece was faulty. I told them several times that there seems to be something wrong with the setup. Later on I came to know that for sub, Area of the room needs to be taken care of rather than sitting position. Now I understood why SVS SB1000 could not perform well at alliance4. They had a big hall & SB1000 was not at all suitable for that size.

I told Acoustic arts about my experience at Alliance4. I also started auditioning other subs. But could not make my mind as I did not find what I was looking for. I liked some but were very expensive (Rs. 80,000 & above). Then came across couple of reviews of Emotiva Sub S12 at avsforums.com. The reviews were interesting. Suddenly FM @sunilkm posted his review at hifivision. Really liked his review and got in touch with him. He seemed very much satisfied.

I again contacted Acoustic Arts for demo of Emotiva. They did not have any stock left but informed me that new stock would be arriving soon. I was in regular touch with them enquiring about the availability.

Due to GST, things got delayed. I was constantly in touch with Acoustic Arts for almost two months as some how it seemed emotiva would fit my requirement as the review at most places were positive. They were also surprised about my patience. It took almost 2 months for the new stock to arrive. They had kept one piece specially for my demo. Acoustic Arts got in touch with me & asked if I would be interested in Home Demo. That was like dream come true. I could not have asked for anything more. I told them that I won't buy if I don't like. They were ok with it.

So the sub arrived on 17th Aug with a condition that I must let them know before 20th Aug. Their one of other dealer, Mr Pankaj Pawar, delivered it to my home. My other components are:

Floorstands : KEF IQ5,
Amplifier : Marantz SR6011.
Projector : Benq W1070
Living Room (LxWxH): 23 x 10 x 9
Sitting Position : 12 Feet From Front.

We hooked it with my system and played several clips. In the beginning I was bit confused as the size of sub was very big for my living room. I did not have long cable so sub was kept at a very odd place (near my sofa). The sub was sounding good. Even though it was kept near the listing position, in music it seemed the sound was coming from front speakers. I was impressed but somehow I wanted to take benefit of home audition fully and then decide. I wanted to keep it in front along with my floorstands. Next day I bought a new sub cable of 17 feet and ran audyssey. The sub integrated well with entire system. I watched Bahubali complete movie with entire family. The experience was really very good.

Later we played some songs. The sub was sounding really good with music too. I have read lot of reviews about sub in the forum. One complain very common in this range of subwoofer is about the sub not sounding good in music. But here was a sub that was very good in music.

So on 19th I informed acoustic arts about my decision.

The price quoted was Rs. 39,000 & Final price quoted was Rs. 34,000. I wanted some more discount and requested Sidharth (Owner of Acoustic Arts) for a good deal. I also told him that I am looking for surrounds & would be interested in Emotiva Surrounds E1 provdided he could offer a very good deal. Later in the day, I was offered Rs. 55,000 for both, which I accepted. So Waiting for my surrounds now. I think he gave Sub for Rs. 33,000 & Rs. 22,000 for surrounds. I have not received the final bill so unable to tell you exact amount.

Yes, I had home demo of Emotiva S12.

Acoustic Arts got in touch with me & asked if I would be interested in Home Demo. That was like dream come true. I could not have asked for anything more. I told them that I won't buy if I don't like. They were ok with it.

Kudos to them for giving the home demo from Delhi to mumbai without any commitment.

in music it seemed the sound was coming from front speakers.

This is exactly what is needed in well integrated system.
The bass should not be localized.

Later we played some songs. The sub was sounding really good with music too. I have read lot of reviews about sub in the forum. One complain very common in this range of subwoofer is about the sub not sounding good in music. But here was a sub that was very good in music.

Agree with your experience. It is adding really enjoyable bass for the music either soft bass or plenty of mid bass slam depending on type of music.

Also wanted to understand this. The diamonds I have has range starting from 40Hz and the Bass is decent. A Sub that has a frequency range starting from 30Hz. How big would be the difference of 10Hz.

Hi

There will be not much difference...if it is just 10hz....suggest you look at subs which deliver from 22hz / 24hz till 150hz....then you will feel and hear the difference.....if you are already content with 40hz bass then no point buying a sub woofer

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back