Suggestions for Small Entertainment Room (11ft x 14ft)

naveen2626

Hi All,
I am a beginner here and would like your valuable inputs in designing a compact entertainment room with mixed usage of music / sports / movies. Flexible with AVR budget. Open to treat the ceiling and first reflection points. Rear wall is a sliding window opening to a small terrace, hence planning full size heavy curtains.

Decisions made so far:
  1. 75 inch QLED TV wall mounted
  2. 7-7.5 ft viewing distance (2/3 recliners)
  3. Bar table behind the recliners with 4 stools
  4. 5.1.4 setup with surrounds on the sides
My Dilemma:

Floor standing vs Bookshelves vs on-walls for front left and right speakers ? Im quite apprehensive they might be overpowering in a room of this size. I am coming from a living room setup with Sony HT-RT 40 with no huge complaints, essentially a beginner here. I need to strike a balance between space / aesthetics / functionality here. Budget around 1-1.2 l is ok for the the main speakers (left & right).

Please share your valuable feedback here.

Thanks,
Naveen

Attachments

• PHOTO-2022-06-18-15-20-57.jpg
    PHOTO-2022-06-18-15-20-57.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 146
Hi All,
I am a beginner here and would like your valuable inputs in designing a compact entertainment room with mixed usage of music / sports / movies. Flexible with AVR budget. Open to treat the ceiling and first reflection points. Rear wall is a sliding window opening to a small terrace, hence planning full size heavy curtains.

Decisions made so far:
My Dilemma:

Floor standing vs Bookshelves vs on-walls for front left and right speakers ? Im quite apprehensive they might be overpowering in a room of this size. I am coming from a living room setup with Sony HT-RT 40 with no huge complaints, essentially a beginner here. I need to strike a balance between space / aesthetics / functionality here. Budget around 1-1.2 l is ok for the the main speakers (left & right).

Thanks,
Naveen
My room is 11*10.5 and I sit at a distance of 7-8feet.IMO bookshelf speakers are more than enough. Bookshelf speakers costing 1.2L should have better fidelity than towers that is costing 1.2L in most cases.

Hi All,

Decisions made so far:
My Dilemma:

Thanks,
Naveen
Hi Naveen , I have a similar sized room 13ft x 17ft which has become even more compact after room treatment. I use Floor standers for my stereo listion and have inwall speakers (FL FC FR + R sub + L sub) the remainings spealers i.e: rear L & Rear R and the atmos speakers are wall mounted. FLoor standers are definitely not overpowering. I too have a wall on the left which is a sliding window. Have attached some pics for our perusal.
cheers!
Anand

Attachments

• IMG_7109.JPG
    IMG_7109.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_7110.JPG
    IMG_7110.JPG
    201.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_7111.JPG
    IMG_7111.JPG
    253.7 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_7112.JPG
    IMG_7112.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_7113.JPG
    IMG_7113.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_7114.JPG
    IMG_7114.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 128
Hi Naveen , I have a similar sized room 13ft x 17ft which has become even more compact after room treatment. I use Floor standers for my stereo listion and have inwall speakers (FL FC FR + R sub + L sub) the remainings spealers i.e: rear L & Rear R and the atmos speakers are wall mounted. FLoor standers are definitely not overpowering. I too have a wall on the left which is a sliding window. Have attached some pics for our perusal.
cheers!
Anand
Wow.. amazing setup!

Where is that AV rack from? I hv been looking for something like that.

cheers!
Anand
Hi Anand,

I am not very sure if I can do a proper treatment on my walls, with the space constraints, I can either go for 12mm Fiber acoustic panels for the entire walls / 2x4 rock wool panels on each wall. Any comments if this would suffice ?

Great setup btw.

My room is 11*10.5 and I sit at a distance of 7-8feet.IMO bookshelf speakers are more than enough. Bookshelf speakers costing 1.2L should have better fidelity than towers that is costing 1.2L in most cases.

Hi @Love4sound,

I have been considering the following loudspeaker for each category so far based on the forum discussions:
  1. FS: Monitor Audio Bronze 200 / Elac Debut 2.0 F6.2 / Dali Oberon 5
  2. BS: Elac DBR62 / Dali Oberon 3
  3. On Wall: XTZ Spirit 6 / Monitor Audio Radius 225 / Martin Logan Motion SLM
I do not see a lot of dealers online for XTZ. @Love4sound , could you let me know if there is any dealer to audition the Spirit series ?

Also, I have seen some members recommend Jamo D500 THX / Magnet Ultra LCR 100-THX for on-wall setups. How would such speakers compare to a traditional FS/BS setups ?

But I do not see any online presence for these speakers either? Any references for the right dealers here ?

Thanks,
Naveen

Hi Anand,

I am not very sure if I can do a proper treatment on my walls, with the space constraints, I can either go for 12mm Fiber acoustic panels for the entire walls / 2x4 rock wool panels on each wall. Any comments if this would suffice ?

Great setup btw.
Thank you Naveen. About the treatment part your acoustics person wold be the best to advise. In my case i had to treat the room since i live in an apartment and couldn't afford sound leaks .
Cheers!
Anand

Right.. and for smaller listening distances like in this case, speakers with one hf and one of driver will be a better option. ( A speaker acts like a point source at 5x the distance from the speaker - x being the distance between the top most to the bottom most speaker driver)

Example - if a floor stand speaker has 3 LF drivers of 8" and one tweeter - total separation distance would be around 30 inches/ 2.5 feet.
Now this speaker will act like a point source at a distance of 2.5 x 5 = 12.5 feet.

Regards

One suggestion i have is that consider have two different orientations for seating. breadth wise for tv watching. length wise for stereo listening. The main advantage is that stereo listening sweet spot is usually one seat. Also helps to keep clutter minimum when doing either/or activity.

cheers!
Anand
What is ur tv size and viewing distance??

cheers!
Anand
Superb Audio RACK 👌👌👌🎶🎶🎶

One suggestion i have is that consider have two different orientations for seating. breadth wise for tv watching. length wise for stereo listening. The main advantage is that stereo listening sweet spot is usually one seat. Also helps to keep clutter minimum when doing either/or activity.
There is already a paucity of space I don’t think different orientations is the most viable option .

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back