Suggestions for Stereo Setup For a Budget of Rs.1 Lakh

MNX

Hi Dear FMs,

I'm in search of a stereo setup for a budget of maximum Rs. 1 Lakhs.
The setup is for my parents, and so I want to keep it simple. I won't be adding a sub in near future.
Expecting your valuable suggestions.

Usage: 100% Music (Malayalam, Tamil and Hindi Songs Only)
Budget: Rs. 1 Lakh
Room size: 20 ft. x 10 ft. (Normal living room, tiled floors with wooden furniture)

Speakers considered: QA 3050i (Offered price of 53k), SB Acoustics Bromo 2 (44k), Indiq Diamond Mishra (42k), Concept 20 (Discontinued?/47k)

Coming to amp, I would prefer an all in one solution like network receivers just as to avoid complexities in the setup.

So far considered Marantz NR1200 (57k) and Denon DRH-800A (48k). But it seems like both don't have the best SQ.

What are the better alternatives for both speakers and amps?

Any suggestions from experts will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

If you are interested in an integrated network amp with good SQ, then go for Marantz PM7000N. I recently bought it from HiFi Mart. The SQ is warm and can be listened to for long hours. I had Arcam amp before this one. I had it for a few years which I hardly used it. It was very bright and lacked bass. I have QA 3050i in my home theater. It's an excellent speaker. Go for it.

A good 2 channel system will always be more satisfying than a HT. Marantz amps are warm sounding and their reasonably priced amps like PM 6006/7 are very good. Pair them with a pair of good bookshelves or small floorstanders, after due auditioning, preferably with the persons who will listen to the system maximum.
Also if your parents listen to CDs, u should take ur favourite CD to audition.
Keep a rug over the tiled floor, heavy curtains for large windows (if feasible) and you will be rewarded with nice sound. Happy listening.

Hi Dear FMs,

I'm in search of a stereo setup for a budget of maximum Rs. 1 Lakhs.
The setup is for my parents, and so I want to keep it simple. I won't be adding a sub in near future.
Expecting your valuable suggestions.

Usage: 100% Music (Malayalam, Tamil and Hindi Songs Only)
Budget: Rs. 1 Lakh
Room size: 20 ft. x 10 ft. (Normal living room, tiled floors with wooden furniture)
You have a good budget for a stereo to start with and definitely can set up something nice at this price.
Speakers considered: QA 3050i (Offered price of 53k), SB Acoustics Bromo 2 (44k), Indiq Diamond Mishra (42k), Concept 20 (Discontinued?/47k)
Thought of just sharing my opinions here. I own the Bromo and Kef R100’s and also the Diamond Achal’s.
1) SB Acoustics Bromo: Great speakers. I went with combination of Aluminium Woofers and Ceramic tweeters. This is a wonderful combination compared to full aluminium ones but that said there are a lot of guys who like it too.
Good Sound, Tonality, Very good bass response, digs deeper and still does not compromise on mids and has very nice sparkle on the higs. This makes it very enjoyable and fatigue free listening experience.
Kef R100 : If you can extend your budget a bit and manage to source one just go for it. Even the alternative LS50 is good. Very small form factor and has big sound. This brand does not need an introduction at all. These tiny little speakers are a tad bit shy on the Low end, just a bit and one might need to add a small sealed sub with it but if you are someone who is not very keen on the frequency <55/60hz then this is pretty much sufficient. Again here i am saying this based on my experience and my room is very large for this little one to build pressure. I love listening to these Kef’s and especially during the night time listening coz I can go up on the volume and still not bother my neighbours. The bass produced is sufficient for me. It’s fast and agile and superb midrange and highs.
Diamod Mishra : Since I own the IndiqAudio FS, I wanted to just get the Diamod Mishra’s to compare after I purchased the Bromo and Kef’s. Mr Amit was very generous enough to lend one to experience it. Like @Thirumalkumaran mentioned , it’s a midrange king. It’s very large in size compared to the other 2. Suits well if you want to keep it on the TV unit but too large to keep them on the stands but works well. In a TMM design they excel very well on the mids and vocals but slightly shy again on the low end compared to the Bromo. For the type of music you are looking for this may be a good fit I think. But yeah! You are backed up with a fanatic customer service and upgrade n so on.

See if you can audition and then buy rather going by our opinions. What sounds good to us not necessarily should sound good for you. Your ears are your best judge.
Coming to amp, I would prefer an all in one solution like network receivers just as to avoid complexities in the setup.

So far considered Marantz NR1200 (57k) and Denon DRH-800A (48k). But it seems like both don't have the best SQ.

What are the better alternatives for both speakers and amps?

Any suggestions from experts will be much appreciated.

Thank you.
You could also audition the Klipsch RP400M before biting the Bullet on either of the above and also consider Magnat Transpuls 1000. It’s being sold at a great price and a wonderful speakers. There are tons of reviews online about these.

Last edited:
<snip>
<snip>
You may want to consider a simple analog integrated amp (lower cost) and add something like Allo Boss Player.
Will work out cheaper allowing you to explore more speaker choices.

Cheers,
Raghu

Within a 1 lakh budget, I would suggest as follows :

Marantz M-CR612 amp (aprox 60k)

This is a network streamer and stereo amp in one.
The SQ will be better than the Marantz NR1200.

Speakers :
- this has to be a personal choice
- I would suggest a good set of bookshelf speakers rather than floor standers
- I just bought the Dali Oberon 1s. Pairs very well with Marantz. You could consider that.
- QA 3030i is also an option

If you are interested in an integrated network amp with good SQ, then go for Marantz PM7000N. I recently bought it from HiFi Mart. The SQ is warm and can be listened to for long hours. I had Arcam amp before this one. I had it for a few years which I hardly used it. It was very bright and lacked bass. I have QA 3050i in my home theater. It's an excellent speaker. Go for it.
Thank you captain for your suggestion.
Well, the seller also suggested the PM7000Ns for my use case. But as I mentioned, my budget is strictly limited to 1 Lakh for the entire setup.
The 7000s are being offered for a price of 78k which I can't afford right now.

A good 2 channel system will always be more satisfying than a HT. Marantz amps are warm sounding and their reasonably priced amps like PM 6006/7 are very good. Pair them with a pair of good bookshelves or small floorstanders, after due auditioning, preferably with the persons who will listen to the system maximum.
Also if your parents listen to CDs, u should take ur favourite CD to audition.
Keep a rug over the tiled floor, heavy curtains for large windows (if feasible) and you will be rewarded with nice sound. Happy listening.
Yes. I am eyeing a 2 channel setup only. I was also considering the PM6007s before. But then I realised that in that case, again I have to add a streamer which may make the system a little more complex for my parents. Also, they won't be listening to CDs.
Your suggestion for keeping a rug over the floor is a nice idea, which I will consider for sure. And the curtains are already there and yes, they are heavy.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Since your parents will be using them , I’m assuming they would be most comfortable playing from their smartphones hassle free. In that context , the KEF LS50 wireless is highly recommended.

You have a good budget for a stereo to start with and definitely can set up something nice at this price.

Thought of just sharing my opinions here. I own the Bromo and Kef R100’s and also the Diamond Achal’s.
1) SB Acoustics Bromo: Great speakers. I went with combination of Aluminium Woofers and Ceramic tweeters. This is a wonderful combination compared to full aluminium ones but that said there are a lot of guys who like it too.
Good Sound, Tonality, Very good bass response, digs deeper and still does not compromise on mids and has very nice sparkle on the higs. This makes it very enjoyable and fatigue free listening experience.
Kef R100 : If you can extend your budget a bit and manage to source one just go for it. Even the alternative LS50 is good. Very small form factor and has big sound. This brand does not need an introduction at all. These tiny little speakers are a tad bit shy on the Low end, just a bit and one might need to add a small sealed sub with it but if you are someone who is not very keen on the frequency <55/60hz then this is pretty much sufficient. Again here i am saying this based on my experience and my room is very large for this little one to build pressure. I love listening to these Kef’s and especially during the night time listening coz I can go up on the volume and still not bother my neighbours. The bass produced is sufficient for me. It’s fast and agile and superb midrange and highs.
Diamod Mishra : Since I own the IndiqAudio FS, I wanted to just get the Diamod Mishra’s to compare after I purchased the Bromo and Kef’s. Mr Amit was very generous enough to lend one to experience it. Like @Thirumalkumaran mentioned , it’s a midrange king. It’s very large in size compared to the other 2. Suits well if you want to keep it on the TV unit but too large to keep them on the stands but works well. In a TMM design they excel very well on the mids and vocals but slightly shy again on the low end compared to the Bromo. For the type of music you are looking for this may be a good fit I think. But yeah! You are backed up with a fanatic customer service and upgrade n so on.

See if you can audition and then buy rather going by our opinions. What sounds good to us not necessarily should sound good for you. Your ears are your best judge.

You could also audition the Klipsch RP400M before biting the Bullet on either of the above and also consider Magnat Transpuls 1000. It’s being sold at a great price and a wonderful speakers. There are tons of reviews online about these.
Thank you for the much detailed reply @Prodigy.
Yes. I also heard very good reviews about the Bromos (Please do check your inbox if you don't mind. I've sent a PM recently).
The KEFs are very good as you said but are out of my budget. The same goes for Magnat's as well. I want to keep the budget to 1 Lakh (Initially it was 60k though :p and thought of buying the Mishras+Norge).
I think the Klipsch's are overpriced in India (The RP400Ms are priced at 45k at Next HiFi), and for the same budget, we are getting better options.
Since you heard both Bromos and Mishras, which one you will keep for pure stereo listening? And can a noob like me able to assemble the Bromos? Any extra skills/tools will be required?
Also if I'm buying bookshelves, is it necessary that I should invest in stands? If I've to, then do bookshelves+stands or floor standers will make a better choice budget-wise?

You may want to consider a simple analog integrated amp (lower cost) and add something like Allo Boss Player.
Will work out cheaper allowing you to explore more speaker choices.

Cheers,
Raghu
I was thinking of the same before. Then thought will go for a simple setup.
One of the FMs suggested pairing the QAs with Crowns and maybe a used Paradigm PW Link.
Btw, what are your suggestions for integrated amps?

I was thinking of the same before. Then thought will go for a simple setup.
One of the FMs suggested pairing the QAs with Crowns and maybe a used Paradigm PW Link.
Btw, what are your suggestions for integrated amps?
Here's food for thought. Check if it is still available for sale.

From the Marantz stable. Should be able to mate with a wide variety of speakers.
Has digital coax/opt inputs too. Add a Pi based streamer/player (with or without DAC).
If you want to explore all-in-ones there is the KEF LSX, Marshall or Klipsch Wireless. Plug and play.
Some FMs have also suggested actives from Q-Acoustics (with a source/streamer)

Options are there. Explore the most common usage by your parents and choose accordingly.

Cheers,
Raghu

Within a 1 lakh budget, I would suggest as follows :

Marantz M-CR612 amp (aprox 60k)

This is a network streamer and stereo amp in one.
The SQ will be better than the Marantz NR1200.

Speakers :
- this has to be a personal choice
- I would suggest a good set of bookshelf speakers rather than floor standers
- I just bought the Dali Oberon 1s. Pairs very well with Marantz. You could consider that.
- QA 3030i is also an option
Hi @argho, thank you for the suggestions.
Since I won't be using CDs for playback, do you think Marantz CR612s will be an overkill for my use case?
Did you audition any other speakers before finalizing the Dalis? Why do you think bookshelves will be a better option than floor standers?
As I mentioned, the usage will be only for music.

Here's food for thought. Check if it is still available for sale.

From the Marantz stable. Should be able to mate with a wide variety of speakers.
Has digital coax/opt inputs too. Add a Pi based streamer/player (with or without DAC).
If you want to explore all-in-ones there is the KEF LSX, Marshall or Klipsch Wireless. Plug and play.
Some FMs have also suggested actives from Q-Acoustics (with a source/streamer)

Options are there. Explore the most common usage by your parents and choose accordingly.

Cheers,
Raghu
Seems like it is available still.
However, I may be able to get a new one for the same or may be 2k more.
Also, the seller offered the PM6007s for 36k. Adding a Pi based streamer/DAC is an excellent suggestion.
But as I said, want to keep it very simple. Like if they want to play some music from a USB drive, then a Pi based streamer means we have to be in the same network, have to access the web UI for selecting the tracks, etc. So, they may not be comfortable with that.

Since your parents will be using them , I’m assuming they would be most comfortable playing from their smartphones hassle free. In that context , the KEF LS50 wireless is highly recommended.
Yes. Same thing they want.
But KEFs are over my budget.

Seems like it is available still.
However, I may be able to get a new one for the same or may be 2k more.
Also, the seller offered the PM6007s for 36k. Adding a Pi based streamer/DAC is an excellent suggestion.
But as I said, want to keep it very simple. Like if they want to play some music from a USB drive, then a Pi based streamer means we have to be in the same network, have to access the web UI for selecting the tracks, etc. So, they may not be comfortable with that.
I understand. But the streamer OS will have a smart phone app.
Very easy to use and quite intuitive.
You may be surprised how quickly the older generation will pick up new skills :D

Cheers,
Raghu

I understand. But the streamer OS will have a smart phone app.
Very easy to use and quite intuitive.
You may be surprised how quickly the older generation will pick up new skills :D

Cheers,
Raghu
So true with my mother. :D
In such a case, a used CCA (If I can get one) along with an integrated amp makes more sense, no (if we leave the USB playback part)?

Yes. CCA is a very good option if you can find one.
Phone can host stored music that can be cast to CCA too.
If you do get a CCA, then active speakers may be a better bet.
HiFiMart has some decently priced models.

This is the prime reason I have multiple CCAs lying around :D
I have set up my mum with a CCA based streamer and she's quite comfortable using it.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi @argho, thank you for the suggestions.
Since I won't be using CDs for playback, do you think Marantz CR612s will be an overkill for my use case?
Did you audition any other speakers before finalizing the Dalis? Why do you think bookshelves will be a better option than floor standers?
As I mentioned, the usage will be only for music.

I dont think it will be overkill.
I have the Marantz M-CR610 (earlier model).
I dont use the CD player anymore. I use Spotify Connect as source, and it works really well.

If you want something cheaper, options are

a) A stereo amp with a seperate streamer. Would agree with the reccomendations to buy a PM6006 (new or used) and attach an inexpensive streamer. A CCA or a Mi Box.

b) Consider the Yamaha WXA 50

Caveat - I have never auditioned it, but reviews are good.

On speakers, just a personal view that a good pair of bookshelves would pair better with amps in this price range.

You can of course go for FS if that is your preference.

QA 3050i and Dali Oberon 5 comes to mind. But these will cost you 60-70K, leaving very little for the amp.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back