Suggestions for UHD LED TV 55inch (which HDR format)

Amarendra

Hi,

I was looking to replace my existing Philips 55 inch 4K TV with a new TV with 4k and HDR. My current TV does 4k @30 Hz and no HDR. However going deeper into HDR is like opening Pandora's box with a number of formats and strong lobbies.
I was mainly looking at 2 models from LG:
LG55UM7300
LG55SM8100

My requirements are as follows:
- LED/ OLED
- 4k 60hz
- digital out with Atmos
- HDMI 2.0/ hdcp 2.2
- HLG/HDR10/DV

However most TVs don't support all the HDR formats. Example in the mid tier segment LG doesn't have HDR 10+ and Dolby Vision while Samsung has HDR 10 +. Panasonic has HDR 10+ as well as HLG and Dolby Vision. But I have seen negative feedback on Panasonic LEDs.

From what I understand, Apple has Dolby Vision content while Amazon Prime has HDR 10+.

Are these formats interchangeable ? So if I buy a LG TV will it not play Amazon Prime in HDR ? Barring Panasonic top end models or LG OLED models, I don't see any TV supporting both.

Thanks

LED TVs without FALD would be terrible for HDR. The blacks would turn greyish. OLEDs are best for HDR as even a single pixel can get really bright. Get the 2019 models as they'll have even better burn-in free performance. However, with OLEDs you'll still have to be cautious of static elements or bright elements that happen in the same place over and over, such as subtitles, as those will cause burn-in, even if it happens after 2, 3 or 4 years. Making subtitles semi-transparent will diminish chances of burn-in happening from those for many years though. Static ogos though will still be a problem.

Within FALD sets, you can get Sony X950G or Samsung Q70/Q80/Q90. However, since these will cost almost as much as the cheapest OLED, B9, I'll still recommend getting. Also, B9 has lower peak brightness than C9, which should help in reducing odds of burn-in even more, as the panel is supposed to be the same.

LED TVs without FALD would be terrible for HDR. The blacks would turn greyish. OLEDs are best for HDR as even a single pixel can get really bright. Get the 2019 models as they'll have even better burn-in free performance. However, with OLEDs you'll still have to be cautious of static elements or bright elements that happen in the same place over and over, such as subtitles, as those will cause burn-in, even if it happens after 2, 3 or 4 years. Making subtitles semi-transparent will diminish chances of burn-in happening from those for many years though. Static ogos though will still be a problem.

Within FALD sets, you can get Sony X950G or Samsung Q70/Q80/Q90. However, since these will cost almost as much as the cheapest OLED, B9, I'll still recommend getting. Also, B9 has lower peak brightness than C9, which should help in reducing odds of burn-in even more, as the panel is supposed to be the same.
Thanks what about the different HDR formats ?

Only Samsung supports HDR 10+, rest all major brands are rooting for Dolby Vision ( Also the likes of Disney and Netflix). I havent tested running HDR 10+ on LG but as per blogs, it reads it as HDR10 and no major difference is suffered.
Also since your requirement includes OLED and LED, I am wondering why are you looking at
LG55UM7300
LG55SM8100?

When going for an OLED, I would recommend going for LG (C8 is also great compared to these years models) and when going for LED, go for Samsung Q series or Sony 9000F or Sony 950G

Are
Only Samsung supports HDR 10+, rest all major brands are rooting for Dolby Vision ( Also the likes of Disney and Netflix). I havent tested running HDR 10+ on LG but as per blogs, it reads it as HDR10 and no major difference is suffered.
Also since your requirement includes OLED and LED, I am wondering why are you looking at
LG55UM7300
LG55SM8100?

When going for an OLED, I would recommend going for LG (C8 is also great compared to these years models) and when going for LED, go for Samsung Q series or Sony 9000F or Sony 950G
Arent these LED TVs ? LG 55Um7300 or 55SM8100 ?

They are LED TVs but Samsung makes better LED TVs compared to LG
Depends on what u need, cheaper samsung tn panels have poor viewing angles,better black levels hard to calibrate to natural colors. Similar priced lg models have more natural skin tones after better viewing angles and 'grey levels' !!

LG C9 checks all boxes including atmos out.
Netflix/Apple TV offer Dolby Vision content and Amazon prime has HDR content. Both play flawlessly on the tv.

Infact I think amazon prime might be offering DV content in the future as per a recent worldwide bug in their app which showed the dolby vision tag with a lot of content.

HDR10+ is only offered by samsung and panasonic while 2019 panasonic oled’s support both HDR10+ as well as Dolby Vision.

The UHD discs with HDR10+ have just started coming out and if you intend to buy UHD movies with HDR10+ or if you want to future proof (incase Netfilx and apple start shifting to HDR10+)then only you need to buy a tv with HDR10+ and DV both IMO.

But if its one of the two then DV over HDR10+.
So I would say LG C9 again.

Netflix/Apple TV offer Dolby Vision content and Amazon prime has HDR content. Both play flawlessly on the tv.

Infact I think amazon prime might be offering DV content in the future as per a recent worldwide bug in their app which showed the dolby vision tag with a lot of content.

HDR10+ is only offered by samsung and panasonic while 2019 panasonic oled’s support both HDR10+ as well as Dolby Vision.

The UHD discs with HDR10+ have just started coming out and if you intend to buy UHD movies with HDR10+ or if you want to future proof (incase Netfilx and apple start shifting to HDR10+)then only you need to buy a tv with HDR10+ and DV both IMO.

Thanks, LG C9 is expensive though. I was thinking of the B9 which uses a lower end processor (1 GB RAM less) but rest of the features are the same.

Depends on what u need, cheaper samsung tn panels have poor viewing angles,better black levels hard to calibrate to natural colors. Similar priced lg models have more natural skin tones after better viewing angles and 'grey levels' !!
Samsung Q70 R is a very tempting proposition. :)

Thanks, LG C9 is expensive though. I was thinking of the B9 which uses a lower end processor (1 GB RAM less) but rest of the features are the same.
What's the quote for them? Isn't there just a difference of 5k to 6k between them? 1.52 vs 1.47 online with some 1k to 1.5k additional cashback on each

What's the quote for them? Isn't there just a difference of 5k to 6k between them? 1.52 vs 1.47 online with some 1k to 1.5k additional cashback on each
Havent got any quote yet but was shortlisting models. I guess some of these are not available online on Amazon/ Flipkart. Will check in the store over the weekend. Tata Cliq has B9 for about INR 1.45 lakhs. Q70 R is slightly more difficult to find.

Havent got any quote yet but was shortlisting models. I guess some of these are not available online on Amazon/ Flipkart. Will check in the store over the weekend. Tata Cliq has B9 for about INR 1.45 lakhs. Q70 R is slightly more difficult to find.
Actually they are available on Amazon. Just that they are funnily priced and they dont show up in the top results when one searches for them. 2.00 approx for the B9 and 1.82 for the C9. Reliance said they would better the best online price after speaking to their HO.

Actually they are available on Amazon. Just that they are funnily priced and they dont show up in the top results when one searches for them. 2.00 approx for the B9 and 1.82 for the C9. Reliance said they would better the best online price after speaking to their HO.
If we leave aside the fuss with OLED/QLED LG has a very good model the UM7300 which provides active HDR, HLG, HDR 10 coupled with Airplay 2 and DTS Virtual X for just 63k but again DV is missing.

If samsung look at the Q80R, superior and comes with one connect box.
AFAIK the Netflix app in it doesn’t support Atmos plus it doesn’t pass atmos/truehd/dts via ARC /eARC even if you want to play media via an hdd.

You can get the C8 if you can find one at good price.

Also first decide on how much are you willing to spend.If you want to get LG LED you should atleast get the NanoCell with Vision.
Also consider sony 55x900f.

Amazon Prime has some DV content. E.g Jack Ryan

yeah I have marked that TV too for a great balance in performance and cost. Its native contrast is better than all other Q series models I think and hence the local dimming performance due to smaller number of dimming zones wont matter much. Only if Samsung supports DV !

If samsung look at the Q80R, superior and comes with one connect box.
AFAIK the Netflix app in it doesn’t support Atmos plus it doesn’t pass atmos/truehd/dts via ARC /eARC even if you want to play media via an hdd.

You can get the C8 if you can find one at good price.

Also first decide on how much are you willing to spend.If you want to get LG LED you should atleast get the NanoCell with Vision.
Also consider sony 55x900f.
Is Sony 9000F 55" model still available in Indian market? I cant find only the 65" model.

Is Sony 9000F 55" model still available in Indian market? I cant find only the 65" model.
55x9000f is out of stock but the 65 is available with reliance digital and they purchased around 50 pieces post independence day sale...this is pertaining to bangalore city.

yeah I have marked that TV too for a great balance in performance and cost. Its native contrast is better than all other Q series models I think and hence the local dimming performance due to smaller number of dimming zones wont matter much. Only if Samsung supports DV !
Try the Panasonic GX800D model- supports all forms of HDR (DV+ HDR10+, HLG) and the 55 inch model comes just under 1 lakhs. The online reviews (including whathifi) all give it 5 stars uniformly.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back