Suggestions requested for streamer audio player

vivek.saikia

Hi All,

First of all, apologies if I have started up a duplicate thread or if the thread topic has already been discussed, but my initial search has returned only streaming video players.

So to start with, let me put forward my requirements. I am looking out for a Audio Player with the following features:

1. Stellar sound quality
2. A display on the device to see the track info, as I don't want to connect the player to a TV.
3. Streams music from my laptop wirelessly into the player
4. Plays music stored on my hard disk via USB
5. Plays internet Radios

I know the first choice that fits perfectly my requirements is the Logitech Squeezebox Touch. I have kept this options as my first choice, unless someone brainwashes me for good ;)
In the past I had a couple of media players like Asus O!Play, Archos 605 media player, WD media player but none of them were able to satisfy me sonically. This time I want to make the right decision and buy the best audio player with stellar audio capabilities. I am not at all interested in the video players.

I would like to request my fellow HiFiVians to help me make the right choice.

Thanks!

The Logitech SB Touch is what you need, all right! Since you are in the US, you will get it at a good price too.

It will do all the things you've mentioned. There was a bit of confusion about whether it will play music on an external HDD via USB well enough, but that too has been cleared up by user reports here. The only thing is, it seems the HDD you're using should have an external source of power (= 3.5" external HDDs) for things to run smoothly. You'll also find quite a few tips on our forum about the best folder structure to follow, best size of album art to use, etc.

More Info

Thank you guys for your suggestions.

It is really surprising that no other company has come up with a product like the Logitech SBT!!

I am even open to the tried and tested Chinese audiophile brands, as I have had some good experiences with the Chinese audio products.

Nothing against SBT, but I just want to seek out all the possible options available.

Vivek,

Marantz NA7004 is one serious contender here which works as a Network Player, AM/FM Tuner and an external DAC. You can give a go but it doesn't work wirelessly. At least you need to run an ethernet cable from your WiFi router to the player.
Another down side could be it may not have switchable mains (110V - 230V) and you may need to you a step down transformer when you bring it to India.
Also keep in mind no network player can access a decent size external HDD as fast as a PC. NAS may be a good option.

Coming to GUI no network player can come close to Foobar + DAC combination.

Vivek,

Marantz NA7004 is one serious contender here which works as a Network Player, AM/FM Tuner and an external DAC. You can give a go but it doesn't work wirelessly. At least you need to run an ethernet cable from your WiFi router to the player.
Another down side could be it may not have switchable mains (110V - 230V) and you may need to you a step down transformer when you bring it to India.
Also keep in mind no network player can access a decent size external HDD as fast as a PC. NAS may be a good option.

Coming to GUI no network player can come close to Foobar + DAC combination.

I was also eyeing the Marantz NA7004 for some time but again the price is a deterrent.
Looking at the audio features which SBT provides, I think I can go ahead and use it as a source for some time. If it fails to impress me then I may add a good DAC to the chain later.

would you be using an external dac? You can also look at apple tv, older version.
It does everything except the display. For display, you can use your iphone/ ipad - remote app is one very good app to play music on appletv.

By using atv fw upgrade, you can attach a local hdd via usb. It is a very simple process. I have 2 TB hdd attached. It takes time to sync intially but after that it plays very well.
Then you use your iphone or ipad as remote with great UI. You can play from itunes on your laptop and it streams wirelessly. Or from local hdd. Plays radio stations as well.

would you be using an external dac? You can also look at apple tv, older version.
It does everything except the display. For display, you can use your iphone/ ipad - remote app is one very good app to play music on appletv.

By using atv fw upgrade, you can attach a local hdd via usb. It is a very simple process. I have 2 TB hdd attached. It takes time to sync intially but after that it plays very well.
Then you use your iphone or ipad as remote with great UI. You can play from itunes on your laptop and it streams wirelessly. Or from local hdd. Plays radio stations as well.

Apple TV is a simple device but it is very much video centric. Moreover, I will have to buy a iPhone/iPad to control this :eek:

I can do away with the display if it supports remote controls via an Android phone (reason??....I own one).
My first choice would be a player with the best DAC in it. But In future I may introduce a full fledged DAC ONLY if the SQ is not as per my liking.

Data rates over wifi might not be that much reliable and specially when it comes to hi resolution files. you can get a NAS and go for wired connection or attach an external hdd to the player. I have bought a SBT for myself, yet to configure it but im thinking to go for a NAS

yeah.. I was planning for NAS because of a number of reasons:
1. I can use it as a shared drive for music - SBT and movies to a media player (in future)
2. I can also use it as a back up location for my pc. In case my pc crashes, the backup point will be my NAS.
3. If I want another player in another room later on, it is useful.
4. As the NAS would have been built with a purpose of 24/7 usage, it will run more reliably than just an external disk.

If others those who use SBT can let know how efficient its while streaming hi res files via wifi, it will be helpful

Apple TV is a simple device but it is very much video centric. Moreover, I will have to buy a iPhone/iPad to control this :eek:

I can do away with the display if it supports remote controls via an Android phone (reason??....I own one).
My first choice would be a player with the best DAC in it. But In future I may introduce a full fledged DAC ONLY if the SQ is not as per my liking.

Hi Vivek,

I have an apple setup and based on that I can recommend something like this:

a) To have "Airport express" and not "Apple TV" which is video centric I agree. I have both and I use "Airport express"
b) Separate DAC e.g Schiit Modi. I have it.
c) For wireless playback you have two options. One is via laptop using Apple Itunes software.
d) Second option since you do not have iphone/ipad but android. There are apps in android which allow apple airplay from android phone. I had tried a couple of them and they work. Ofcourse they may not have the fluidity of apple airplay. Hence I prefer to use iphone/ipad instead of android app.

I currently have 2 sbt and may be buy one more in future. My desktop is in a completely seperate room.Now I am pondering over 3 different setup options for streaming music to these sb touch.
1. Use my existing pc wirelessly. Benefit is of Zero expenditure.only con is problem of electricity bill of running pc.
2. Use a nas. Connect it wired to one sbt and stream wirelessly to other sbt. Con -Expenditure of buying a nas. Benefits will be that of lower electricity bills and one sbt will get a wired connection plus me getting a a backup device .
3. Buy an external hdd . Connect it to one sbt and stream music from it to others. Cons - expenditure of buying hdd. I will have to use the sbt's own inbuilt server reports of which are not 100% confidence inspiring. Also there are doubts about Usb hdd playback. Benefits are very low expenditure of buying hdd and I think next to nil electricity bill. Also it would take least amount of space and time in setting up.
What will you advice and how are you setting up your sbt?

Hi, I know its quite an old post, but I am in the same boat now. So what did you end up with finally? Many thanks in advance.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back