Suggestions required - 3.0 /3.1 setup to begin with

RaaR

Hi All

I'm from Chrompet, Chennai and a beginner to HiFi audio setup. I'm planning to start with a 3.0/3.1 setup initially and slowly expand(if possible) it to a 5.1.2 or 5.2.2 setup for the first few years. This setup is for a mixed usage - both music as well as for movies(I rely on streaming platforms like - Netflix, Prime, Hotstar, Spotify and also have a considerable collection for plex server)

I have a 49 inch LG UJ752V model(UJ752T is the Indian equivalent) that has HDMI ARC, Optical out and Line out connections in it. It also has licensed dolby audio support. I use a 5+ year old F&D speaker which isn't good enough for anything except making the voice part audible to ears which my TV speaker fails to do occasionally. The distance between my TV and watching position is too small (though the room is large). A squared section of the room is dedicated for TV viewing(the dimensions are as follows: length - 87 inch and Breadth - 97 inch).

And to my taste preference Sathyam is my one-and-only stop for blissful audio experience to feel every bit of audio detail at most and especially the subwoofer effect those screens produce is outstanding. I've never felt the same way with any of the other screens I've been to - such as PVR(to be fair, their audio setup is worst most times). Even my favorite Chrompet Vettri is best with its projection but its audio setup is not to the mark. On the other hand - Tambaram Vidya and Pammal Ganesh Cinemas have good Dolby setup. Though not equivalent to Sathyam's, they are good compared to other screens.

This description is just to make you guys understand my audio preference, FMs from Chennai who also been any of the above mentioned theaters can suggest likely better to my taste.

I tried my best to understand watching home theater setup videos for the past few months and decided my go to option will only be Klipsch. Then I found this forum and went through most of the articles, found taga harmony 606 SE might fit into my budget. But while checking for demo videos online, I'm unable to find how clear it makes voice portions in movies/music sound. From those rare video clips with voice portions, I felt the voice tracks were less audible and too bassy. But these assumptions are based on YouTube auditioning and not live demo.

Now I've reached out to a local dealer and explained him my requirements and told my budget would be around 50K and I can go with a 3.0 setup for being. He told it would be better if I extend my budget to 70K and I was ok with it as long as the setup works fine with me. He also suggested auditioning is the best way to pick speaker of my taste and invited me as well(which I'll be doing by the end of this week).

Below are his suggested combinations with respective prices(he didn't suggest taga among the options, I might enquire him while meeting in person about it. If he have the speaker with him, I'll audition it as well. If not, FM members can help me audition one, if that's possible)

Denon X550BT / 5.2 ch Avr with eltax exposure front tower speakers - 58,900

Denon X550BT / 5.2 ch Avr with q acoustics - q 3020i front book shelf speakers - 59,900

Denon X550BT / 5.2 ch Avr with mission LX2, front book shelf speakers - 55,000

Denon X550BT / 5.2 ch Avr with Eltax monitor 3 front book shelf speakers - 56,000

Denon X 1600H / 7.2 ch Avr with Eltax monitor 3 front book shelf speakers - 73900

Denon X 1600H / 7.2 ch Avr with mission Lx2 front book shelf speakers - 73900

I would like to know if the pricing is fine to proceed with. Also wish to know what other speaker options I can ask him to get a demo/purchase. Also what else I need to focus on for uninterrupted quality sound?! (DAC, Amplifier, cables, UPS etc.,)

PS: Once I'm well experienced with the audio options available in market(I'm sure of auditioning as much as possible in stores as well as fellow FMs setup in that time period) and comfortable enough to spend, planning to build a secondary which I'll primarily use for movies and passively for music. I plan to move previous setup for a secondary dedicated music setup then or will purchase a new pair of speakers for audio requirement with existing AVR and use the existing speakers for home theater setup adding few more speakers.

Last edited:
You have taken a very wise route to build your system.
Don't go with x550 BT as for a little more amount, you can have the following. Has much more to offer.

Also, LX2 is a good pair in that price to begin with.

So, if you get the Denon+LX2 combination @ approximately 65k, you're good.

The price of AVRs in your list are way higher than what was recently discussed in the forum. Please check recent forum activities or reach to members who bought AVRs recently. You may also audition Klipsch speakers at cinebels, those are good for me. I have 5.1 Klipsch setup, my Atmos alone is Polk.

The price of AVRs in your list are way higher than what was recently discussed in the forum. Please check recent forum activities or reach to members who bought AVRs recently.

Hi, you are right. You can get the Denon AVR X2600H for 54k here in Bangalore. The 2400 would be significantly cheaper too. OP can try out some local dealers from Chennai for pricing first.
PM me in case for the contact details from where I purchased.

I second that though of FM here, don't go for x550 BT. You should be looking for something like Denon X2600H / X1600H or Marantz NR1609. This should cover you for next 1-3yrs as it comes with Atmos & DTS-X capabilities & gives you option to build on those in near future.

Mission Lx2 is good to start with, however IMO you should be looking at 3-way Tower speakers as your planning to build gradually. This will help you enjoy the sound stage while listing to music & watching movies until you start adding Center & Subwoofer for those low freqn. Don't rush in buying Center & Subwoofer, give some time for the tower speakers and AVR to blend, you will build the taste & know exactly what should be you next priority/purchase.

Cheers,
:cool:

Hi All

I'm from Chrompet, Chennai and a beginner to HiFi audio setup. I'm planning to start with a 3.0/3.1 setup initially and slowly expand(if possible) it to a 5.1.2 or 5.2.2 setup for the first few years. This setup is for a mixed usage - both music as well as for movies(I rely on streaming platforms like - Netflix, Prime, Hotstar, Spotify and also have a considerable collection for plex server)

I have a 49 inch LG UJ752V model(UJ752T is the Indian equivalent) that has HDMI ARC, Optical out and Line out connections in it. It also has licensed dolby audio support. I use a 5+ year old F&D speaker which isn't good enough for anything except making the voice part audible to ears which my TV speaker fails to do occasionally. The distance between my TV and watching position is too small (though the room is large). A squared section of the room is dedicated for TV viewing(the dimensions are as follows: length - 87 inch and Breadth - 97 inch).

And to my taste preference Sathyam is my one-and-only stop for blissful audio experience to feel every bit of audio detail at most and especially the subwoofer effect those screens produce is outstanding. I've never felt the same way with any of the other screens I've been to - such as PVR(to be fair, their audio setup is worst most times). Even my favorite Chrompet Vettri is best with its projection but its audio setup is not to the mark. On the other hand - Tambaram Vidya and Pammal Ganesh Cinemas have good Dolby setup. Though not equivalent to Sathyam's, they are good compared to other screens.

This description is just to make you guys understand my audio preference, FMs from Chennai who also been any of the above mentioned theaters can suggest likely better to my taste.

I tried my best to understand watching home theater setup videos for the past few months and decided my go to option will only be Klipsch. Then I found this forum and went through most of the articles, found taga harmony 606 SE might fit into my budget. But while checking for demo videos online, I'm unable to find how clear it makes voice portions in movies/music sound. From those rare video clips with voice portions, I felt the voice tracks were less audible and too bassy. But these assumptions are based on YouTube auditioning and not live demo.

Now I've reached out to a local dealer and explained him my requirements and told my budget would be around 50K and I can go with a 3.0 setup for being. He told it would be better if I extend my budget to 70K and I was ok with it as long as the setup works fine with me. He also suggested auditioning is the best way to pick speaker of my taste and invited me as well(which I'll be doing by the end of this week).

Below are his suggested combinations with respective prices(he didn't suggest taga among the options, I might enquire him while meeting in person about it. If he have the speaker with him, I'll audition it as well. If not, FM members can help me audition one, if that's possible)

Denon X550BT / 5.2 ch Avr with q acoustics - q 3020i front book shelf speakers - 59,900

Denon X550BT / 5.2 ch Avr with Eltax monitor 3 front book shelf speakers - 56,000

Denon X 1600H / 7.2 ch Avr with Eltax monitor 3 front book shelf speakers - 73900

I would like to know if the pricing is fine to proceed with. Also wish to know what other speaker options I can ask him to get a demo/purchase. Also what else I need to focus on for uninterrupted quality sound?! (DAC, Amplifier, cables, UPS etc.,)

PS: Once I'm well experienced with the audio options available in market(I'm sure of auditioning as much as possible in stores as well as fellow FMs setup in that time period) and comfortable enough to spend, planning to build a secondary which I'll primarily use for movies and passively for music. I plan to move previous setup for a secondary dedicated music setup then or will purchase a new pair of speakers for audio requirement with existing AVR and use the existing speakers for home theater setup adding few more speakers.
Which dealer gave you these quotes? Denon 550 is a basic avr and you should definitely look at 1600 or the 2600.How big is your room?

Ny suggestion would be to get denon x2600 with floor standing speakers and a matching center speaker first,later if budget permits add a sub, u could also check used speakers

Don't go with x550 BT as for a little more amount, you can have the following. Has much more to offer.

Also, LX2 is a good pair in that price to begin with.

Thanks for the suggestion, but some posts say better to go with 1600H than 2400H since it's new model. What's better in 2400H to choose that over the other model?!

The price of AVRs in your list are way higher than what was recently discussed in the forum. Please check recent forum activities or reach to members who bought AVRs recently. You may also audition Klipsch speakers at cinebels, those are good for me. I have 5.1 Klipsch setup, my Atmos alone is Polk.

Thank you. Will reach out to them, do they have low end setups for demo and sale?!

I second that though of FM here, don't go for x550 BT. You should be looking for something like Denon X2600H / X1600H or Marantz NR1609. This should cover you for next 1-3yrs as it comes with Atmos & DTS-X capabilities & gives you option to build on those in near future.

Mission Lx2 is good to start with, however IMO you should be looking at 3-way Tower speakers as your planning to build gradually. This will help you enjoy the sound stage while listing to music & watching movies until you start adding Center & Subwoofer for those low freqn. Don't rush in buying Center & Subwoofer, give some time for the tower speakers and AVR to blend, you will build the taste & know exactly what should be you next priority/purchase.

Cheers,

Thank you. What are the options you would suggest for 3 way speakers?!

Which dealer gave you these quotes? Denon 550 is a basic avr and you should definitely look at 1600 or the 2600.How big is your room?

Max HT from Alandur. I'm yet to meet them in person for demo. Watching distance from TV would be 87 inch and the breadth would be 97 inch for LR placement.

What will be your suggestion combo to begin with?!

Check if 2400H+3020i fits your budget. Check price of both this on hifimart.com. Ideally Local prices can be a little better than that.

Thank you, will check. But 1600H is the latest version. Is there any reason to choose an year older model over 1600H?!

Max HT from Alandur. I'm yet to meet them in person for demo. Watching distance from TV would be 87 inch and the breadth would be 97 inch for LR placement.

What will be your suggestion combo to begin with?!
Based on your budget taga, mission and pioneer. Max also introduced a new budget brand eltax. 5.0 speakers which includes tower speakers has a Mrp of 33k. They have it for demo paired with a Denon 1500. Have a demo and see if you can get a good deal from him if you end up like the product.

Based on your budget taga, mission and pioneer. Max also introduced a new budget brand eltax. 5.0 speakers which includes tower speakers has a Mrp of 33k. They have it for demo paired with a Denon 1500. Have a demo and see if you can get a good deal from him if you end up like the product.

Thank you. Planning for the demo tomorrow, hopefully I'll get a better deal. I'm also interested over Taga as many FMs suggesting to go with. But I want to know how clear the voice portions are, youtube demo had bassy voice portions which I'm not ok with

Thank you, will check. But 1600H is the latest version. Is there any reason to choose an year older model over 1600H?!

Check out this. 2400H offers more power but some features are advanced on 1600H. Decide as per your feature priority.

Hi All

Check local dealers for denon. I recently bought Denon AVR- X2600H for 55k and its MRP is around 76K.
There are lots of good used gear in Chennai on OLX. You can try that too.

Thank you. What are the options you would suggest for 3 way speakers?!

I'm assuming you have 25-40k left post your AVR purchase, for a 3-way Floor standing speakers.
Following are the new once which you could opt for,
  1. Pioneer AJ-FS52
  2. Polk T50
  3. Taga TAV-806F
  4. Taga TAV-616F
  5. Wharfedale D330
  6. Yamaha NS-8390
However, if you'r fine with preowned/demo piece you could get lot better 3-way Floor standing speakers too in these price range.

Cheers,

I'm assuming you have 25-40k left post your AVR purchase, for a 3-way Floor standing speakers.
Following are the new once which you could opt for,
  1. Pioneer AJ-FS52
  2. Polk T50
  3. Taga TAV-806F
  4. Taga TAV-616F
  5. Wharfedale D330
  6. Yamaha NS-8390
However, if you'r fine with preowned/demo piece you could get lot better 3-way Floor standing speakers too in these price range.

Cheers,

Thanks for the list ❤️ I'm also happy to go with preowned or demo piece. Issue is on finding them. Most preowned for sale posts in this forum are based on Bangalore and I'm yet to find good source for demo pieces.

Possibly I'll find good sources in this research process

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back