Suggestions wanted for office headphone amp/ dac

anm

Hi,
I am considering a headphone amp for office. I am looking for an amp that can take usb input, and can drive bigger badder headphones too, along with iems.

Some limitations:

* leaving expensive stuff on my desk means possible tampering, or someone just walking away with it (yes, I have not yet earned a cabin as yet)

* do not want overly complex system, or multiple boxes.

* limitation on types of headphones - open back are out of question. Mostly closed back and IEMs can be used. I can keep the headphones back in the drawers though.

* want to keep source as laptop, and maybe phone/ pmp.

A transportable amp addresses all of the above. But as of now, my job does not involve much journey so desktop amps at home and office too should be fine. I don't travel in public transport either.

Though I am not too closed to the idea of a desktop amp, a transportable battery powered amp+dac would be more useful. One I can disconnect and pack into my laptop bag.

Based on all this thinking, I have shortlisted iBasso D6, that is a usb 24/96 dac and quite powerful amp. Again, the decision would be based on recommendations as I think it would NOT be easily available for an audition in Delhi NCR.

Please suggest should I go this route for a portable battery amp, or should I go for a desktop dac+amp?

Please suggest alternatives.

anant, if its not gonna be your orthos you are looking to use with it, I would suggest you look at the udac. Its a good vfm and convenient product.

but aren't they usb powered, instead of battery powered? That would take away the portability when using with a pmp.

Ofcourse, yes. i was just talking about office/desktop use. Else, the ibasso might be better option.

thanks kittu. I am not that much into diy - so not sure if I will be able to upgrade it myself to the same level as kaushik can. Trying to search a review for this but can't find any.

I had RSA amps also in mind, but they are twice the cost. Even with that, I would have loved to buy his sr71b, but having another box for dac takes away the transportable advantage, unless you want to listen to ipods' line outs. For laptop usage it is a not that great an option. If only it had a usb dac!

hmm - given the sale of gurubhai's hp amp, I can do with a portable USB dac with VERY good dac section, while ok amp for driving iems.

The SR-71B is supposed to be great, but then re-cable expenses will be quite a bit too. The Pico from headamp is another vfm option.

have ordered an hrt streamer async usb dac for ~usd 195. This gets powered by usb so looking for an amp now.
Saw a really cute headamp at Viren's place yesterday. Too bad it is not yet ready upto his satisfaction and he is still working on the design.

now I can also look at PB2 - the balanced portable amp from ibasso. I am not very sure about the ibasso's quality in terms of sound.

The SR-71B is supposed to be great, but then re-cable expenses will be quite a bit too. The Pico from headamp is another vfm option.

I would second PICO amp, even DAC with line out is good. I have used Pico DAC/amp for my UM3X, considering the form factor, sound effects, it is a good option.

For a limited budget, udac2 is good ( also the small form factor .....). Both Pico , udac2 DAC is very good and the amp is good for most of the IEMs and closed phones. Pico sound is more refined than udac2.

For amps, RSA p51 mustang is good option with small form factor and sound required, for a bit higher cost. If form factor is not an issue, then hornet and SR-71 are better options.

Shipping to India and the duty will be a costly affair for most of the above options unless someone will buy and bring it for you.

Have decided on hrt streamer II as my async usb dac, which also claims to have isolation. Should be shipped today. Hoping to get it in next week.

Now need to decide on amp only. PB2 ($325) seems a good option. RSA sr71b has great reviews but is too costly at $650.

Have decided on hrt streamer II as my async usb dac, which also claims to have isolation. Should be shipped today. Hoping to get it in next week.

Now need to decide on amp only. PB2 ($325) seems a good option. RSA sr71b has great reviews but is too costly at $650.

Congrats & can get a nice review from you.

Ananth bhai ,

You seem to have become a fan of DACs.... :) please do post a nice review...

Congrats on your purchase.

Kittu

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back