Suitable amp for EPOS M16i

venk61176

Friends,

My 3.5 months search for speaker ends and out of sheer joy, I just went ahead and bought M16i

Infact I really liked series of EPOS M12i, M16i, M22i. M12i was ruled mainly because of cost for speaker stands and adventures of my 4 year old son.

M22i was out of my budget and infact M16i took lot of convincing from my wife.

Having all this finally I am not able to enjoy the speaker as my denon 2310 clips at driving 4ohms.

To my dismay then most of home receivers are not good at driving 4ohm speakers.

Now I dont want to keep one Home theater receiver and stereo integrated amp.

What are my choices. I can sell my Denon 2310 and instead buy AV receiver that can drive 4ohms speaker well.

Any suggestions.

On the other hand I would also like hear suggestions on suitable integrated amps.

My budget around Rs40000

Thanks
Venkat

Friends,

My 3.5 months search for speaker ends and out of sheer joy, I just went ahead and bought M16i

Infact I really liked series of EPOS M12i, M16i, M22i. M12i was ruled mainly because of cost for speaker stands and adventures of my 4 year old son.

M22i was out of my budget and infact M16i took lot of convincing from my wife.

Having all this finally I am not able to enjoy the speaker as my denon 2310 clips at driving 4ohms.

To my dismay then most of home receivers are not good at driving 4ohm speakers.

Now I dont want to keep one Home theater receiver and stereo integrated amp.

What are my choices. I can sell my Denon 2310 and instead buy AV receiver that can drive 4ohms speaker well.

Any suggestions.

On the other hand I would also like hear suggestions on suitable integrated amps.

My budget around Rs40000

Thanks
Venkat

Congrats on your purchase!!!! can you post your auditioning experience ?

Have you tried Bi-amping the speakers with Denon ..

Howmuch you paid for the M16i ?

Great to know you found a pair of speakers you love. Why dont you use the pre outs of Denon 2310 to drive a stereo amp/power amp which can drive your speakers well?

didnt vortex use his EPOS with a NAD amp?
You could try that
get the 355 and up

I would also consider a Denon monster
PMA 1500 i think
in grey you just might be able to afford it.
Its a nice amp and would drive the M16s effortlessly

Congrats on your purchase. No AVR within 2 lacs budget range can drive 4 ohm impedence speakers. They will kill themselves during the process as Epos loves power!

Assuming that you are not using this in a HT environment as otherwise integrated dont have video processing in them. In that case you need to use an external amplifier (125 watts minimum).

I woudl suggest a warmer amp (NAD, Arcam, etc.) as the Epos are slightly forward sounding on mids and highs.

As Magma said one of our members thevortex has a Epos M12i and was using the NAD 355. You can check with him for details.

Venkat, could you check your speakers with Pioneer AVR?

I have the Wharf Moviestar speakers, which too are of 4 ohms. Yes, they are satellites ... that could be one point. But, the 519 model runs those effortlessly ... no clippings noticed on high volume or high fluctuating power demands during war-scenes.

I have used my EPOS M12.2 speakers with the following amplifiers:

1) Marantz SR4003
2) NAD C372
3) Lyrita 2A3 SET

All of these amplifiers were able to drive the M12.2 satisfactorily. However, it must be noted that the M12.2's are rated at 8 ohms which was a big consideration when I bought it.

The NAD does do well with the EPOS provided you like that school of sound reproduction.

Also I would not say that they are forward sounding on the mids. Just that the mids are not recessed. They open out beautifully. Some Canton speakers I have heard as well as Paradigms and even PSBs have a tendency to sound a bit forward. But this is, as always, a personal perception.

I would suggest going for a Creek amplifier. Even if you can get only the entry level model of Creek, it will still be worth it. I have heard the Creek Evolution paired with the M22is and they were fabulous as a pair.

I think Saikat was mentioning something about selling his NAD 352. check with him if you want a NAD ...

I had listened to EPOS M12.2 paired with Music Hall Amp. It was a very good match and sounded very good. AFAIK Music Hall is owned by Mr. Roy Hall, who also owns Creek.

Dear Sir

NAD 372, Denon PMA 1500 etc are well suited to 4 Ohm
I have an old Onkyo M500 that also works well with 4 Ohm load
Onkyo have a Switching amp rated to give 300 W into 4 Ohm
but not heard sound quality, I faced same problem when
I wanted to buy Focal 928 long time back

Where did you buy M16I and at what price, and what was M22I
price, thease are unusual speakers regarding the crossover
they are 2 and half way, at mid low frequency 2 drivers work
in parallel, thats why 4 ohm comes into play

You have made an unusual and excellent choice
there are very few speakers in this config
M12 I with a passive subwoofer would also
give similar effect

Robert Bose

Hi All,

Thank you all for the help

I purchased it from Distributor Reference Acoustics in Indiranagar and price was Rs68000.
Neverthless I would consider getting it at rs63000 would be bargain.

M22i was quoted for 89000(MRP), ideally I would say 78000 would be ideal
M12i 43000 - (%5)

He also had some custom made hifi stand and getting it for rs5000 seemed ideal but paid rs7000

In general I paid little excess but very reasonable compared to what other dealers were quoting for their products.

M16i was delivered as promised

But Probably I wont treat my expereince of purchase with him as a pleasant one.

I am inclinded towards Creek Evloution, because I know as a combo it sounded great.

Denon for Stereo ?? Is it good and musical. Never auditioned them, but looks cheap

On other hand Arcam starts above 50K I guess.

Actually I loved cary audio solid state and dealer offered me as second hand during audition. He quoted Rs80000 :p

It was really making focal and KEF IQ50 sing.

Kittu -> I will post pictures some time soon. Already I have spent too much and having tough time with my wife.

Now I also want dedicate room by going in contract with Anutone. For past two days we(me and wife) are fighting over it.

And details of my system

Oppo 83 - 550$(with free HDMI cable)
Energy Take 5 with Premier acoustics titanium sub 12A(400$ + 50$(fly emirates + rs6000 at indian customs)
Denon 2310 from ProFx(remember paying 52k)
LG Plasama 42" (PJ560) -with two speakers on the side
Sony DVD Upscale player - rs4500
Cables - Emotiva HDMI cables, and speaker cable for EPOS, for other speakers were from Profx for free and Monster banana easy clip connectors

List of speakers I have auditioned

- Wharf 9.6, 9.5, 10.6, B&W 684(liked it but too expensive in india), Evo at Vector systems - Very nice person and was very helpful
- Usher Be 718, x718 at ARN systems(liked the speakers and probably seemed better than EPOS mainly because of Leben I guess)
- KEF IQ50, Focal 806(Carry audio amp)
- KEF IQ90 at profx(almost short listed)
- Aviano 6, Aviano 8, Wharfadale 10.7 for comparsion(Again MR Palani was nice and courteous)
- Canton contour serious(liked it) and was told GLE 470 uses similar drives, couldnt risk that much money with out auditioning it.

In the
- RX6 and BX6 wanted to audition and would have been more than happy to be driven by Denon
- Dali Ikon6 I was cautioned not to audition considering my dislike for too much treble
- Asked for Demo from Audioplanet and ARN Systems. Didnot materiaze.

In the mean time took my wife and auditioned to all EPOS m5i, M12i, M16i and M22i series

M12i sounded rough was told not enough burn in time, they all sounded nice and I wanted a floorstander

For the first time EPOS audition is where I started focusing on the sound rather than speaker itself. I tried hard to switch my mind towards EPOS sound characterstics. But coudlnt

I am not professional audiophile to give detailed reviews. In general as a person I do things with utmost care and lot of patience.

So I think made a good choice with EPOS 16i. For those bass lovers and rock music fanatics, this speaker will not suit. Hence move towards Monitor audio or Paradigm monitor or PSBs

Note : byw if not EPOS, I would have gone for Wharfdale Evo or Aviano 6 or Canton GLE 470 or KEF iQ90.

Except Canton all others where ruled purely on size factor

Would have love to audition ATC and ProAc. Straight away ruled out mainly on cost factor

Thanks
Venkat

If you are planning to get Energy take Reliance digital has a display piece you can get it for a good price ...

Hi,

Sorry already have Energy Take bought it from US. Now wanted to drive these floorstander purely for music as speaker B option.

It turned out that Denon is not able to drive them

Thanks
Venkat

All that expenditure is compromised if you use oppo-83 as a source.

Apportion some part of your budget for another mid to higher budget source player and the SQ will leap by a good margin

Just my Chaar Aanas

Even if Upgrade to SE sometime in near future. You still think it wont suffice

Any suggestions on amp please??? Hmm I dont want to see my EPOS lying around

Thanks
Venkat

hmm

you are of the opinion that denon looks CHEAP?

maybe your 40000rs budget should be revised in that case

Finally my dream stereo setup is done. Now need to look at room acoustics

Got second hand cary design integrated amp and paid around rs 75000.
Also got some chord silverscreen speaker cables and chord audio interconnects lended by dealer

My emotiva cables are arriving on friday. SO ALL SET TO GO and some enjoyment

Thanks
Venkat

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back