SVS SB1000 vs. Rel T5 Subwoofer for Music

hydra

Folks, I've been thinking about getting a subwoofer (or a pair) for my 100% music setup. While I've not really decided that I really WANT a subwoofer (or two), I've been reading up, and I've been toying around in my mind with this idea.

I'm looking for sealed subwoofers only, and I'm now considering the SVS SB1000 and the Rel T5 . I'll probably be able to get two SVS SB1000s for a bit more than what a Rel T5 comes to (= Just an impression, I'm yet to get Indian pricing for the SB1000).

Though I've got a very soft corner for the Rel, I'd like to give serious thought to NOT spending as much for a single sub, and also about the advantages of a dual sub setup.

My two main issues with sub/s in my setup are:

1) Lack of space in the 180 sqft room (which makes me tend toward dual subs for easier placement -- slightly oxymoronic, I know). However, this is not the subject of my query.

2) I want to give my Rethm Trishnas a full range signal. The Amp does not have a sub-out, so my only option is a speaker-level input to the sub. I'm fully confident of the way Rel has this implemented, so That is not an issue.

My issue is, will giving speaker level input from the amp to the SVS SB1000 mess with the quality of signal sent to the speakers in any way?

As per the SVS Product page the input impedance of the speaker level input of the subwoofer amp is 2 k?.

As per Rel's documentation (Note: PDF), their proprietary input system (speaker level > Neutrik speakon) has a resistance of 150 k?.

-- How will this difference in input impedance affect the signal sent from the amp to the speakers in tandem to the signal sent to the subwoofer?

-- Will this 2 k? vs. 150 k? make a difference at all?

-- Is there anybody here using an SB1000 via speaker-level inputs for music?

I'd be grateful if you folks could explain this specific aspect to me like I'm dumb :) :eek: Other general comments are also welcome!

Hi Hydra

I have had the REL earlier with my Rethm Second. It did not work out. Bass texture as well as speed is different. If you want more bass upgrade to the Margas or the Saadhanas. That's the only option as I see

My REL T5 has no problems keeping up with the fostex single drivers. Bass has blended in beautifully and subtly.
There may be a marginal difference in the load seen by the amp at speaker output. Unless your amp is very low wattage struggling to keep up it won't matter I guess. My tube amp is specced at 8.5w with a 6L6 and currently I use KT-66 at 6w and it is sufficient for a 18x13 room with the volume at 10 Oclock. The impedance difference may matter for a 2w flea amp I am guessing, but again best to consider an electronic data perspective as more reliable than popular audiophile imagination.

G

Thank you, prem and gobble! Thanks also to all of you who wrote personally with very relevant (and very consistent!) advice!

I'd been listening to quite a bit of western classical these days and felt that I could do with a little more lows in some pieces. The subwoofer plan was just something I'd been playing with in the mind, and something I needed some perspective on, from more knowledgeable folks. I've decided to drop this altogether and leave well enough alone. Back to the music! :)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back