Swans D1080-IV or M50w - Suggest a cheap VFM DAC

gurujee

Hi

Want to have a separate active 2.0/2.1 for listening music. Budget is around 15k.

I am hearing about the Swans from more than a year and have checked some of the sound test on youtube which are pretty amazing to me. Previously, I was saving for amp+spkr route but practically I don't get much time to listen except late night, that's why for the time being I will be ok with decent 2.0/2.1.

I listen mainly jazz, new age, country, western classicals, easy listening stuff and very very occasionally on holidays dubstep, bollywood remix etc.

I am a child, doesn't know about speakers. Wanted a Swans m50w but now I am confused between m50w and D1080-IV as the later has 5.25 drivers which I guess better for vocal midrange compared to 3" drivers on m50w's satelites. Room is about 12x14. Please suggest.

Source will be basic laptop, so please suggest a cheap VFM DAC which I may get from India as well as Canada(i heard these are cheaper there) through cousin.

I am going for M50 W..
1080 Model is very good for music only. But you can't enjoy movies with them.

M50W will serve for both music and movies.

Don't assume that 1080 will give better midrange than M50W.

Looks like you are more inclined to music, if that's the case D1080 is the way to go. What will be listening distance? What laptop you use? Before investing on a DAC try listening to music with your laptop, if music doesn't please your ears then go for a DAC.

I have swans D1080-IV, using it since last 1 year in my 10x12 room. They are quite powerful for that size of room volume beyond 50% becomes too loud but I never noticed any distortion or hiss. Bass is very strong and rich in texture. I have purchased audio-gd NFB 11, it sounds very good with this DAC. Especially the mid range vocals. I don't think anything else can sound better in my small room size. Also, I am planning to sell my old DAC asus xonar u7.

What is the price for the D1080-IV? On the hifinage site is has a listing for 11,700 but there is a message to email for best price. Also is hifinage the best place to buy these? there seem to be mixed reviews on service and delivery. I am interested in a pair for my office.
Cheers,
Sid

What is the price for the D1080-IV? On the hifinage site is has a listing for 11,700 but there is a message to email for best price. Also is hifinage the best place to buy these? there seem to be mixed reviews on service and delivery. I am interested in a pair for my office.
Cheers,
Sid

9K on Amazon - Swans D1010-IV: Amazon.in: Electronics.

Last year hifinage was selling through amazon. I baught through amazon. The net cost was around 14k. The piece I got was delivered within 3 days but it was broken. The box seemed to be old and torn. On complaining hifinage sent a new piece but they took around 20 days. The replacement was sent by road. It wasn't a pleasant experience for me.

I have both - M200MKII and D1080 0 and bought them from Hong Kong.

M200 sounds better (than D1080) and performs very well in a large room. So your choice should depend on the room size and of course, affordability.

Both need heavy stands/support to sound better.

My usage will be at the computer desk, so no stands etc. So not really ideal placement, plus nearfield listening. Approx. 9k is a good price, don't want to spend double for what will be casual listening for computer based non hi-fi source.
Cheers,
Sid

My usage will be at the computer desk, so no stands etc. So not really ideal placement, plus nearfield listening. Approx. 9k is a good price, don't want to spend double for what will be casual listening for computer based non hi-fi source.
Cheers,
Sid

For nearfield listening, it would be better to go for 1080. M200 needs more distance between them.

Why dont you check out the Wharfedale Ds1.I don't think it is available in India but can be imported and the range is around 15k. It is the Best Active speakers below 30K byWhatHiFi.

Why dont you check out the Wharfedale Ds1.I don't think it is available in India but can be imported and the range is around 15k. It is the Best Active speakers below 30K byWhatHiFi.

Words like best, quality, etc. should not be used with Bluetooth and even Bluetooth aptX IMHO. Bluetooth including aptX is compressed music. You are better off with something like Chromecast Audio with wireless streaming.

I have used Sonos in the past, but they never did get a chance with Bluetooth streaming. Even if the speaker is of a good quality and good build, the very fact that it uses Bluetooth streaming degrades quality, unless one is listening to compressed music like Spotify, MP3s, etc.

For streaming CDs, FLAC, WAV, etc. Bluetooth should be left out of the loop.

Oh, I thought you would know about them. I have had good experience with them.

Good to hear that Naturelover. I am almost decided on the D1080 and will place an order with them shortly on amazon. I am checking a few other options before I go ahead.
One question for users of the swans 1080, what is the distance of the cable that connects the master speaker to the slave? I am considering the option that I may use the powered speakers sometimes with my TV for watching some shows like the late show with Colbert, who ocassionally brings some excellent groups on stage and would be nice to hear them with decent speakers. I have a 50" LED so was wondering if the speakers can be placed at-least that far apart.
Cheers,
Sid

Good to hear that Naturelover. I am almost decided on the D1080 and will place an order with them shortly on amazon. I am checking a few other options before I go ahead.
One question for users of the swans 1080, what is the distance of the cable that connects the master speaker to the slave? I am considering the option that I may use the powered speakers sometimes with my TV for watching some shows like the late show with Colbert, who ocassionally brings some excellent groups on stage and would be nice to hear them with decent speakers. I have a 50" LED so was wondering if the speakers can be placed at-least that far apart.
Cheers,
Sid

I just bought Swans D1080 for my Uncle and M50 for my friend :)

My uncle was more into music so bought D1080.
And M50 is awesome for movies n music both :)

I just bought Swans D1080 for my Uncle and M50 for my friend :)

My uncle was more into music so bought D1080.
And M50 is awesome for movies n music both :)

Ordered the Swans M200MKII myself.

I was tempted by M10 on Massdrop for $89.99, very good deal at that price, but unfortunately nobody coming over right way that could carry it and did not want to risk Massdrop packaging to India.

Ordered the Swans M200MKII myself.

I was tempted by M10 on Massdrop for $89.99, very good deal at that price, but unfortunately nobody coming over right way that could carry it and did not want to risk Massdrop packaging to India.

Post your review on Swans M200MKII?

I ended up getting a pair of used swans 1010-IV from a FM. I am quite happy with their sound. I hooked up a M2tech hiface evo2 usb/spdif converter with a Evo DAC and with Jriver mc23 on my computer am quite impressed with the SQ of FLACS& WAV's albeit at near field listening. There is decent soundstage width/depth accurate imaging and decent tonality of instruments. Quite satisfied.
Cheers,
Sid

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back