Switching to Stereo Int. amp from AVR, suggested ?

alcy

Hello folks, I've been thinking about doing this switch from an AVR to a stereo integrated amp for various reasons. And I would like your help in making a decision.

The thing I am not aware of is, that whether it is possible to watch movies with an integrated amp in the chain. That is, will be there any syncing issues if I connect the DVD player's video output directly to the TV while the audio is routed to the stereo integrated amp ?

Also, the AVR I bought cost me around 28k, so assuming I can find a buyer for this (or maybe if the dealer agrees to take it back), could you make some suggestions in this price range ?

Thanks.

EDIT: With generic opinions aside, I realized the folly of my thinking. I guess most of the members will agree that in the same price range, I won't get a considerable improvement. So, apologies for starting this thread. :eek:

Last edited:
I forgot to mention another point (which I realized after having a chat with a fellow member on phone), that clearly my line of reasoning and argument is void if there is not gonna be more than 20-30% improvement in the sound. In which case, apologies to have this thread started, it was a hasty thing to do.

do you have a complete surround setup - ie, are the surround speakers installed/ connected? In that case, keep the avr and buy an integrated. Connect CDP (or whatever music source) directly connected to int amp, while movie watching audio/ video sources can be connected to the AVR for surround duty.
You may also use the same source (like oppo bdp) for both music and movie duties. Connect hdmi to avr and analog out to int amp.

Nothing like 2 channel Music.......Go for an Integrated Amplifier and a good set of Speaker Set to pour sweet music to your ears.......:licklips:

do you have a complete surround setup - ie, are the surround speakers installed/ connected? In that case, keep the avr and buy an integrated. Connect CDP (or whatever music source) directly connected to int amp, while movie watching audio/ video sources can be connected to the AVR for surround duty.
You may also use the same source (like oppo bdp) for both music and movie duties. Connect hdmi to avr and analog out to int amp.

Alcy,

If you are planning to use both AVR and stereo amp without plugging in and out the front speakers wires between AVR and Int. Stereo Amp.....you may consider buying a source selector like this
ampspkrcomdiag.jpg

.....you'll find them in a/v shops for demoing different combinations of amps and speakers but they don't sell them sadly

contact these folks TEC TC-616 Details and Hookup
never dealt with them....might buy one of these in distant future:licklips:

Thanks,
Venkat

so whats your budget and the rest of your set up. what type of music do you listen to. some stereo amps have video in and out as well so you can play the entire thing through the amp

Alcy,

If you are planning to use both AVR and stereo amp without plugging in and out the front speakers wires between AVR and Int. Stereo Amp.....you may consider buying a source selector like this
ampspkrcomdiag.jpg

.....you'll find them in a/v shops for demoing different combinations of amps and speakers but they don't sell them sadly

contact these folks TEC TC-616 Details and Hookup
never dealt with them....might buy one of these in distant future:licklips:

Thanks,
Venkat

i need somesetup like this to switch between onkyo avr and the diy amp+dac i am building
any similar devices available in india,any diy ideas

My personal opinion, the traditional 2-channel stereo approach rules...my late father always boldly challenged this saying good old single channel Mono was always the best...well, guess this is in line with the times!!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back