Synology 220J Entry Level NAS

Miany

Hello Friends,

Thinking of getting Synology 220J NAS for PURELY AUDIO. Will be using this primarily as a network shared folder which my streamer can access.

Will this have enough capability to stream 24/192 PCM and DSD64/128 files? I am not looking at any transcoding here. Just plain file sharing.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Miany

NAS is used to store files ( be it any type- audio or video media files), typically connected to ur router thru LAN cable ( Synology needs wifi dongle for wireless connection ). Modern LAN connection is 100Mbps/ 1Gbps upwards with gud QoS( reliable high speed). For any application performance like media playback, its the connection speed of playback device with router which matters. For even hireas audio connection speed of 20/30 Mbps is gud enough for stutter free streaming
So , short answer to ur query - definitely, yes

NAS is used to store files ( be it any type- audio or video media files), typically connected to ur router thru LAN cable ( Synology needs wifi dongle for wireless connection ). Modern LAN connection is 100Mbps/ 1Gbps upwards with gud QoS( reliable high speed). For any application performance like media playback, its the connection speed of playback device with router which matters. For even hireas audio connection speed of 20/30 Mbps is gud enough for stutter free streaming
So , short answer to ur query - definitely, yes

Thanks for the response!!

I'm also considering same model for audio streaming.
It should be enough for that purpose unless you want to do use it for video streaming.

Thinking of getting Synology 220J NAS for PURELY AUDIO.
That's more than enough for the intended purpose. I'm using WD My cloud ultra 2 with similar specs for the same purpose, with no speed issues whatsoever. Since you don't buy Nas often; buy the best possible in the budget, look for Ram of at least 1gb for 4k files.

i have been using DS215J for 4-5 years which only has 512Mb RAM and old ARM processor. Never had any issue in streaming hires or 4K even with wifi 802.11N devices. Only for tasks like file indexing, media encoding etc, felt NAS system is slower. So for basic streaming this would be OK. Obviously for long term no. of bays, better processor and RAM does help performance and longetivity. The plus versions are gud if fall within ur budget ( 220+, 420+ ..)

That's more than enough for the intended purpose. I'm using WD My cloud ultra 2 with similar specs for the same purpose, with no speed issues whatsoever. Since you don't buy Nas often; buy the best possible in the budget, look for Ram of at least 1gb for 4k files.

Since its purely for audio, i went with 220j. Placed the order with flipkart.

Hello Friends,

Thinking of getting Synology 220J NAS for PURELY AUDIO. Will be using this primarily as a network shared folder which my streamer can access.

Will this have enough capability to stream 24/192 PCM and DSD64/128 files? I am not looking at any transcoding here. Just plain file sharing.

Thanks,
Miany
There is another Nobel option. Get a NUC and put TrueNAS on it. Now you have an Enterprise Grade NAS at a fraction of the cost. Not only Music, but you can also store your files/photos in it.

Hello Friends,

Thanks,
Miany
Try to get 7200rpm disks instead of 5400rpm disks.

I also placed the order for 220j with Flipkart and it will be delivered in a few days.
I also thought of lower model 120J and higher model 220+ but thought 220j should be enough for my needs.

I'm also planning to use only one 6GB WD Gold hard disk and sell the other one.
For backup I already have 5GB external HDD.

Edit - I had installed TueNas on a desktop but it was too big for the given space. Other wise in didn't face any issues with it.

+ Get WD Red drivers. These are designed for NAS/SAN. Unlike workstation drives (Green / Blue), in case case of a NAS, error check / correction is performed by NAS hardware itself.

I have a different view.

7200rpm drives are meant for PCs, and are built for speed.

For a NAS, what you need is drives designed for :
- low power consumption
- reliability
- always on (24*7) operation

Every manufacturer has a line of NAS drives which are designed for these characteristics.

As mentioned by OM-2K19 above, WD Red is is an example of a NAS drive.

+ Get WD Red drivers. These are designed for NAS/SAN. Unlike workstation drives (Green / Blue), in case case of a NAS, error check / correction is performed by NAS hardware itself.

Yes. I have WD Red 4 TB HDD only. Its been taken out from the WD MyCloud Home i bought few months back. Pathetic piece of gear. Luckily i was able to take out the HDD without any issues.

Yes. I have WD Red 4 TB HDD only. Its been taken out from the WD MyCloud Home i bought few months back. Pathetic piece of gear. Luckily i was able to take out the HDD without any issues.
I've been using Synology NAS units for over 7/8 years. Currently own 218j and have ordered 220j. The best rated NAS type drives( minimum MTBF) are Hitachi HGST ones, have ordered two 12 GB which will be striped in the newest NAS. The older ones use Seagate NAS drives. The one bay unit lacks some features that Synology typically loads up on two or more bay units. I have used my NAS units primarily for streaming audio but also use them for video. I've owned multiple ReadyNAS units in the past, Synology is definitely superior. We have at least 8-10 similar units, among extended family, many connected with Squeezeboxes to stream audio. By SMS large positive feedback, though one (a 4 Bay) had failed. In contrast 2/3 Ready Nas units packed up.

I'm curious as to 220j pricing in India. I'm the US, it's $155 on Amazon. HDD prices have shot through the roof recently, especially the large ones.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back