Taga harmony TAV 806f floor standers - 6 ohm vs 8 ohm

sanjaybk

Hi All,

I recently bought these Taga floor standers. I have a Yamaha RX-V667 receiver. The overall performance of the combination is really good.
But I have noticed a strange thing.
These speakers are rated at 6 ohm. With the receiver set to 6 ohm, the 2 channel sound is bass heavy and a bit boomy. Strangely if I set the receiver to 8 ohm the sound is very pleasing and the bass is tight. All the other speakers in my 7.1 setup are rated at 8 ohm.

I am confused as to which setting I need to keep the receiver - at 6 ohm or 8 ohm. The Yamaha forum recommend that if you have a mix of 6 ohm and 8 ohm speakers to keep the setting at 6 ohm.

After listening to the sound I prefer the 8 ohm option. But I also read in various articles that the speakers /receiver may get heated up and clipping may occur at high volume if we drive 6 ohm speaker with 8 ohm setting. While watching movies I do tend to drive the volume levels high ( -10 ) especially for Blu ray viewing.

I am afraid that with 8 ohm setting I may damage the speakers ( especially tweeters) and/or the receiver itself. I am confused. Please advise.

Hi All,

I recently bought these Taga floor standers. I have a Yamaha RX-V667 receiver. The overall performance of the combination is really good.
But I have noticed a strange thing.
These speakers are rated at 6 ohm. With the receiver set to 6 ohm, the 2 channel sound is bass heavy and a bit boomy. Strangely if I set the receiver to 8 ohm the sound is very pleasing and the bass is tight. All the other speakers in my 7.1 setup are rated at 8 ohm.

I am confused as to which setting I need to keep the receiver - at 6 ohm or 8 ohm. The Yamaha forum recommend that if you have a mix of 6 ohm and 8 ohm speakers to keep the setting at 6 ohm.

After listening to the sound I prefer the 8 ohm option. But I also read in various articles that the speakers /receiver may get heated up and clipping may occur at high volume if we drive 6 ohm speaker with 8 ohm setting. While watching movies I do tend to drive the volume levels high ( -10 ) especially for Blu ray viewing.

I am afraid that with 8 ohm setting I may damage the speakers ( especially tweeters) and/or the receiver itself. I am confused. Please advise.

Typically 8 ohms and above is more suited for music etc.... 6 ohms and even in some cases 4 ohms works well for movies....

I have always used 8 ohms as minimum for speakers as i am used to hearing that punch and drive......my center speaker is only 6 ohms.....rest 8 ohms....

It is true that the AVR or AMP cannot be more in impedance than the speakers....else the risk of heating / damaging......some run their setups cautiously with associated risks......recommended not to!

Yamaha 667 is very strong avr and it never clipped when it was with me.l tried different speakers from bookshelfs to Towers.l used 6 ohm setting mostly and it used to handdle them seamlessly.Never heat up much.

Audioholics had a very strong article on never to flip the impedance switch at all and telling all of us to leave it on default.....if I get the link, O will post it.

But is higher impedence more trouble for amp than lower is the question.Since manufacturer are giving special setting for lower impedance then why not?

Keep your receiver at 6 ohm. Try adjusting your speakers' placement, use heavy curtains on windows. BTW, what is your room-size?
My room size is 29 *14. I have placed the TV and HT in top right corner of the rectangle horizontal to the longer side. So the woofer is in the top right corner of the room

Sanjay,

How these 806f speakers are working? What would be the sound quality of it? Please let me know ..Thanks in Advance.

These speakers are working very well. I am impressed by the overall dynamism and bass. Earlier I had Mission M32i bookshelves which the 806f replaced. These are slightly brighter than them.

Impedance switch do not alter any settings of power amp. All it do is limit power going to the speaker so leave to default.

All my speakers are 6 ohms except for Atmos ceiling speakers which are 8 ohms. If i select 6 ohm setting in my act, will it be fine for 8 ohms Atmos speakers? I mostly watch movies in my setup.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back