Take on DSD !!

supersaiyan

I just got a good listen of a DSD file for the first time ina fully balanced native DSD supported setup
and the shop who gave me the demo had the same song in flac 24/96 too. The differeance was huge for my ears
Adele Hello
Hotel California
and Dark of the moon
i was first time hearing such detail that too with low or no BG noise from an LP[am assuming] sourced DSD.
So my doubt is why so many haters for the format ?

I was pretty enthused about DSD about four years ago.
Bought myself a new DAC because the one I had did not have the DSD capability etc.
The sound of DSD is pretty nice and has a softness to it that evokes analog.

If you are listening to material that is recorded native DSD then it does sound nice.
But I also found that PCM was still plenty enough for most music.
In many cases leaving the PCM signal untouched sounded much better.

I now listen to both formats but I don't assume that DSD is better.
PCM done well has more detail especially on transients which get rounded off in DSD.
Ultimately it comes down to the source from the recording studio.

The main cons against DSD are huge file sizes and availability of music catalogs.

I don't have anything against DSD. Imo properly recorded DSD tracks sound the closest to analog, much better than PCM. However the issue is there are not many proper DSD recordings (most of the ones floating around are upsampled) and secondly though native DSD sounds very good, not many titles are available and whatever is available is from obscure artists.
Cheers,
Sid

@Nikhil Sir i think you are right. Most of the content are not native dsd and not properly mastered. I had to delete a lot of my files after this demo
and about transients i don't know i am not as mature as you are but yes again i have read about this in other forum were experienced music lovers have shared the same concern.

@sidvee yaa you are right brother i had a ton of such files now i had to delete most of them.
Is there a particular software we can use to chk the quality or authenticity of a dsd file ?

I just got a good listen of a DSD file for the first time ina fully balanced native DSD supported setup
and the shop who gave me the demo had the same song in flac 24/96 too. The differeance was huge for my ears
Adele Hello
Hotel California
and Dark of the moon
i was first time hearing such detail that too with low or no BG noise from an LP[am assuming] sourced DSD.
So my doubt is why so many haters for the format ?

You listened both on the same DAC?

I understand decoding method may vary for DSD and PCM as sampling is very high with low bitrate in DSD may give a signature change. I buy SACD - DSD just because 24 bit hi resolution is not available on CD.

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back