Tamil film music (Black & White Era)

1960's can be rightly called the golden age of Tamil movie songs.Singers in their mellifluous voice enthralled us all.Singers like .T.M,Soundararajan.P.B.Srinivas,K.J.Jesudas,P,Susila,L.R.Eswari,S.Janaki,A.M.Raja,Jikki etc contributed their might during this period.We had music directors like M.S.Visvanathan,A,M,Raja etc to mention a few.Truly a golden era.

தமிழுக்கு அமுதென்று பேர் (பெயர்)
அந்தத் தமிழின்பத் தமிழ் எங்கள்
உயிருக்கு நேர்! உயிருக்கு நேர்!!

P. Susheela! What a voice!!
She is a melody queen like lata mangeshkar.
One of my favourite song of her.

ஏடி பூங்கொடி, ஏனிந்த பார்வை?
கோடி கோடியாய் நீ கொண்ட ஆசை?
தேடி வந்த தெய்வம் யாரடி?

Voice of M.R.Vijaya.
This song Reminds me of my 12th std days when I was secretary of cultural club in ( இலக்கிய மன்ற செயலாளர்) The MDT Hindu college, Tirunelveli.

Last edited:
Great intimation.
I am also a big fan of b&w Tamil movie music.
P.B. Srinivas is one of my favourite tamil singer.
My all time favourite song.

The melancholy brings tears out the soul. I prefer manithan enbavan deivam agalam over Mayakkama kalakama for the positivity radiating from the lyrics. Highly motivating!!

The melancholy brings tears out the soul. I prefer manithan enbavan deivam agalam over Mayakkama kalakama for the positivity radiating from the lyrics. Highly motivating!!

Welcome to join this nice thread ( I can call this as சங்கப் பலகை). :)

Ironically both these songs are from the same movie but in different situations.
In mayakkama kazlakkama song the hero's inner self/soul is trying to console and guide him to come out of the depressing/ difficult situation.

In Manitan enbaven the protagonist is expressing his views about the world, how man can rise to great hights if he does good deeds in his life.

Both are lovely songs.
Penned by the great poet Kaviarasu Kannadhsan. And wonderfully composed by MSV.

மச்சானைப் பா(ர்)த்தீங்களா?
மலைவாழைத் தோப்புக்குள்ளே?

This was a turning point in Tamil cinema music. Before this movie ( Mastro Ilayaraja's first movie Annakkizhi) most of the Tamil cinema music had a western music influence.
This movie revealed the rural/folk music ( பறை இசை) bringing a new experience to the public. This song reached every nook n corner of Tamil Nadu.

This was the beginning of Mastro Ilayaraja's saga.

I am looking for Jaishankar movies songs (cowboy or detective movies). I am trying to recall one which had great rhythm to it but suddenly my memory has blacked out on lyrics. I hope that some generous soul is able to suggest a few on this genre.

I am looking for Jaishankar movies songs (cowboy or detective movies). I am trying to recall one which had great rhythm to it but suddenly my memory has blacked out on lyrics. I hope that some generous soul is able to suggest a few on this genre.
Hi,
I am a big big fan of jayshankar, James bond of South. ( தென்னகத்து ஜேம்ஸ்பாண்ட்)
I have a big collection of his songs.
Here few of his gems.

Chandrababu Masterclass

He was an all rounder. Very good dancer, singer, actor, comedian and director. His last days were not pleasant.

Here is my favourite song from his 'தட்டுங்கள் திறக்கப்படும்'.
Once J.Jaylalitha said this movie was her favourite one. Jaya TV has this movie's tele rights, still.

கண்மணி பப்பா (பாப்பா),
கோழி பிறந்தது முட்டையில் தானென்று சொன்னது தப்பா?

Last edited:
Tune of 'panchi banu' from 'Chori Chori'

'கண்வழியே கண்வழியே போனது கிளியே!
காலமெல்லாம் மனசுக்குள்ளே
விழுந்தது கிளியே!'

இந்தி ட்யூனில் அமைந்த இப்பாடல் இனிமையான இசைக்காகவும், வண்ணத்துப்பூச்சிகளாக சுழன்றாடும் குழந்தைளின் நடனத்திற்காகவும் பிடித்த ஒன்று.

One of the evergreen song of TMS, MSV and Kaviarasu combo.

'கேள்வி பிறந்தது அன்று!
ஆண்டான், அடிமை,
மேலோர், கீழோர்
என்பது மாறாதோ?'

பதில் தான் இன்னும் கிடைக்கவில்லை!!

Melody queen, கானகக்குயில் P. Shusheela's beautiful song from Kaviya Thalavi. This song was filmed at old tombs and Forts of Delhi.

Awesome thread. Thanks to all the contributors. Having grown up in the 60's and 70's of Madras this is very nostalgic for me. Also it was the beginning of my DIY life and I remember listening to all these songs on a earpiece radio (telephone headpiece with a diode and a piece of wire).
Life was so uncomplicated. The singers, orchestra and playback was stupendous. Real music, real instruments and above all real artiste's. YMMV of course....but then....

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back