Tannoy Mercury V4i - AVR Suggestions requested

Vikramdeals

Hello All,

I was using Denon AVR-1912 with Tannoy Mercury V4i almost for 4 years until my AVR stopped working a month back. Now AVR shows some Chinese characters at screen display and doesn’t produce any sound. As per service center, we need a new PCB board which I reckon is not available in the market for a UK model.

In the past, I had bought Denon AVR first and auditioned various speakers to shortlist my Tannoy’s. Now that my AVR has broken down, I am bit intrigued which AVR will be best suited for Tannoy’s.

It will be hard for me to take my floor standers to audition AVRs. Please can I request you to throw some suggestions and best way forward?
Your expertise will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Please do mention your budget and usage, whether it’s for music or movies (or both)?
Which speakers are you using for surrounds and center?

Last edited:
Please do mention your budget and usage, whether it’s for music or movies (or both)?
Which speakers are you using for surrounds and center?
Many thanks for your prompt reply.
Sure. My budget is around INR 30K. Usage is 50/50 for music and movies. The set up requirement is 2.0 itself as I just have floor standers.

Thanks

Sure. My budget is around INR 30K. Usage is 50/50 for music and movies. The set up requirement is 2.0 itself as I just have floor standers.

Thanks
For a 2.0 I would recommend a good stereo integrated amp instead of AVR. I had heard mercury v4 in 2011 paired with Marantz and cambridge audio integrated. I liked the synergy with Marantz pm6004. I assume your model also sounds like the v4. You can look at Marantz PM6006 for 30K. There was one for sale for 21K here, I think seller was from Madras

For a 2.0 I would recommend a good stereo integrated amp instead of AVR. I had heard mercury v4 in 2011 paired with Marantz and cambridge audio integrated. I liked the synergy with Marantz pm6004. I assume your model also sounds like the v4. You can look at Marantz PM6006 for 30K. There was one for sale for 21K here, I think seller was from Madras

Thanks a lot Sandeep. I have some bias towards AVR. Please can I request you to help me get clarity on following. Consider me newbie as some questions may sound daft.

1. Would buying Amp over AVR will leave me with less functionalities for example while watching movies dynamic volume control, switching between sources etc.

2. Buying AMP may lead to separate spent on AVR in case I plan to upgrade by adding Center speaker for movies.

3. Finally, with the current situation (floor standers) will I have to take the shot/risk of buying an amp/AVR without auditioning? I assume forum members must be relying on expertise of fellow members for such a situation. Right?

Thanks

Thanks a lot Sandeep. I have some bias towards AVR. Please can I request you to help me get clarity on following. Consider me newbie as some questions may sound daft.

1. Would buying Amp over AVR will leave me with less functionalities for example while watching movies dynamic volume control, switching between sources etc.

2. Buying AMP may lead to separate spent on AVR in case I plan to upgrade by adding Center speaker for movies.

3. Finally, with the current situation (floor standers) will I have to take the shot/risk of buying an amp/AVR without auditioning? I assume forum members must be relying on expertise of fellow members for such a situation. Right?

Thanks
Vikram, I'm more into music and 2-Ch, and use NAD Integrated amp for movies as well.

1. Dynamic volume control is not there on IA. But you can switch between sources. Video related processing, multi channel setup, room correction etc won't be there on IA
2. If you're planning on future modifications, AVR will be a better choice
3. If you can loan a AVR from local FMs from your place, you'll be able to test it out at home before deciding to buy. Dealers in India are not supportive of home demos (the stores at my place don't even offer demos at their shops either!).

Hope you can make a decision based on this. For the best AVR model, I hope some FMs will chip in, as I have no experience there. Best wishes on your hunt :)

Vikram, I'm more into music and 2-Ch, and use NAD Integrated amp for movies as well.

1. Dynamic volume control is not there on IA. But you can switch between sources. Video related processing, multi channel setup, room correction etc won't be there on IA
2. If you're planning on future modifications, AVR will be a better choice
3. If you can loan a AVR from local FMs from your place, you'll be able to test it out at home before deciding to buy. Dealers in India are not supportive of home demos (the stores at my place don't even offer demos at their shops either!).

Hope you can make a decision based on this. For the best AVR model, I hope some FMs will chip in, as I have no experience there. Best wishes on your hunt :)

Many thanks Sandeep. Your prompt replies are much appreciated.

I will await for replies from fellow members.

Thanks

Hi,

Get a Yamaha or Pioneer AVR which can fit within your budget. If you are not too fancied with the latest features of Atmos etc...then look for older models which will be available cheaper.

A Marantz NR series will work just fine as the NR series is capable of running Tower speakers of Dali, one of our members used the setup for almost 2 years till he upgraded to the SR series. The speakers will sing well with a Marantz.

Depending on which location you are based in India, check OLX or Quikr....there are many ads there as well as occasional ads on this forum too..

All the best!

It will be hard for me to take my floor standers to audition AVRs. Please can I request you to throw some suggestions and best way forward?

If you liked Denon pairing with your speakers, then get a Denon AVR in your budget..

My budget is around INR 30K. Usage is 50/50 for music and movies. The set up requirement is 2.0 itself as I just have floor standers.

Yes, an AVR would be a better choice in your scenario..

Would buying Amp over AVR will leave me with less functionalities for example while watching movies dynamic volume control, switching between sources etc.

Dynamic Vol is a feature of Audyssey, usually found in most Denon & Marantz AVR.. If you prefer to use that function often, then better to consider AVR from one of these brands..

Hi,

Get a Yamaha or Pioneer AVR which can fit within your budget. If you are not too fancied with the latest features of Atmos etc...then look for older models which will be available cheaper.

A Marantz NR series will work just fine as the NR series is capable of running Tower speakers of Dali, one of our members used the setup for almost 2 years till he upgraded to the SR series. The speakers will sing well with a Marantz.

Depending on which location you are based in India, check OLX or Quikr....there are many ads there as well as occasional ads on this forum too..

All the best!

Thanks. Grateful for your reply.

Yamaha - I read in some forum on this site that they sound quite bright compared to Denon. Is it?
Pioneer- I haven’t got any idea of their sound. Do they sound warm or are brighter side.

Is Marantz NR series sufficient to support Tannoy V4i as NR series states it’s output is 50w at 8 ohms. I am attaching some specs for v4i for your response.

Lastly, I agree my budget isn’t much however do you have any experience of buying AVR from OLX and if yes was it a good one?

Thanks3827DF43-5FEB-4C14-BAEB-3827455CFE62.jpeg

If you liked Denon pairing with your speakers, then get a Denon AVR in your budget..

Yes, an AVR would be a better choice in your scenario..

Dynamic Vol is a feature of Audyssey, usually found in most Denon & Marantz AVR.. If you prefer to use that function often, then better to consider AVR from one of these brands..

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Yes, I liked Denon paired with Tannoy although at times it left me asking for more details at low volume. Reason I gave my thoughts to another brands is because the service center where I was trying to get my Denon repaired advised me against Denon and Marantz.

As per the engineer, new models in both the brands are facing major issues with PCB board and other failures. it scared me away from them whereas sound wise I am happy with Denon.

Is it really the case? I am not sure.

Thanks

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Yes, I liked Denon paired with Tannoy although at times it left me asking for more details at low volume. Reason I gave my thoughts to another brands is because the service center where I was trying to get my Denon repaired advised me against Denon and Marantz.

As per the engineer, new models in both the brands are facing major issues with PCB board and other failures. it scared me away from them whereas sound wise I am happy with Denon.

Is it really the case? I am not sure.

Thanks

An AVR from any brand can be faulty and we have ample examples on the forum..No brand is an exception, when it comes to failure.. Don't worry abt these things.. It is just a probability of failure..

Thanks. Grateful for your reply.

Yamaha - I read in some forum on this site that they sound quite bright compared to Denon. Is it?
Pioneer- I haven’t got any idea of their sound. Do they sound warm or are brighter side.

Is Marantz NR series sufficient to support Tannoy V4i as NR series states it’s output is 50w at 8 ohms. I am attaching some specs for v4i for your response.

Lastly, I agree my budget isn’t much however do you have any experience of buying AVR from OLX and if yes was it a good one?

ThanksView attachment 37016

I read the specs of the speakers and yes the NR series can handle it.......as sensitivity is high of the speakers.......preferably to look at the SR series....

Pioneer and Yamaha both do a 50:50 balance for movies and music.....

OLX ads....audition the AVR in person for 15 to 25 mins....then you will know if all in order......read the specs before going for any audition so you are mentally prepared and check the various features / functions.

I read the specs of the speakers and yes the NR series can handle it.......as sensitivity is high of the speakers.......preferably to look at the SR series....

Pioneer and Yamaha both do a 50:50 balance for movies and music.....

OLX ads....audition the AVR in person for 15 to 25 mins....then you will know if all in order......read the specs before going for any audition so you are mentally prepared and check the various features / functions.

Many thanks for sharing the details and guidance on OLX it is helpful.

I will look for Yamaha where possible however, do you have any views on Denon x250BT? I reckon major miss will be Atmos however I am not well versed with it and do not now how it will make difference to 2.0 set up.

Many thanks for sharing the details and guidance on OLX it is helpful.

I will look for Yamaha where possible however, do you have any views on Denon x250BT? I reckon major miss will be Atmos however I am not well versed with it and do not now how it will make difference to 2.0 set up.

Atmos content requires a 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 setup......which means more speakers around the room. Atmos is still settling in and most DTH providers are broadcasting DD or DD+ content which is good for 5.1 or 7.1 setups.....very few movies being broadcasted are DTS or Atmos. This is based on my experience and what is currently trending in the market.

I somehow dont like the basic Denon AVRs as they seem to lack muscle and performance.....If i would look at denon models....it would be the x3xxx models onwards.....

If you are ready to spend about 49k or so you can look at the Marantz NR1608 (Could be available lesser with other dealers....you need to check).

This is a 7.2 AVR.....you can Bi Amp the other 2 channels and use that amplification for your speakers (since they have Bi Amp capability). This means one more pair of wires going to each speaker. Still you will have a center and surround channels available in future for adding speakers for the surround experience. Technically 50 + 50 watts continuous RMS power going to each speaker at 8 ohms load as per specs.....Marantz is known to have muscle.

This is also an Atmos AVR which can be configured accordingly later too. Most 7.2 AVRs have Virtual Surround to give you the experience from using only 2 main speakers.

Suggest you read the AVR owner threads of Pioneer, Yamaha. Denon, Marantz etc to get a fair idea....then make the informed decision to purchase the right AVR.

All the best!

Atmos content requires a 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 setup......which means more speakers around the room. Atmos is still settling in and most DTH providers are broadcasting DD or DD+ content which is good for 5.1 or 7.1 setups.....very few movies being broadcasted are DTS or Atmos. This is based on my experience and what is currently trending in the market.

Thanks a lot for sharing this knowledge on ATMOS.

I somehow dont like the basic Denon AVRs as they seem to lack muscle and performance.....

Thanks this is worth considering.

This is a 7.2 AVR.....you can Bi Amp the other 2 channels and use that amplification for your speakers (since they have Bi Amp capability). This means one more pair of wires going to each speaker. Still you will have a center and surround channels available in future for adding speakers for the surround experience. Technically 50 + 50 watts continuous RMS power going to each speaker at 8 ohms load as per specs.....Marantz is known to have muscle.

This is also an Atmos AVR which can be configured accordingly later too. Most 7.2 AVRs have Virtual Surround to give you the experience from using only 2 main speakers.

Thanks. However this is way above my budget. I would rather consider a pre-owned.

Suggest you read the AVR owner threads of Pioneer, Yamaha. Denon, Marantz etc to get a fair idea....then make the informed decision to purchase the right AVR.

Sure. Makes sense. Thanks once again.

Welcome!

Pre owned lots of options over OLX...especially in Mumbai.....depending on which city you are based in, you can check, decide and close the deal on the one that makes sense.

Hi All,

I am coming back to this thread as I need further guidance. I had stopped my search for AVR for some time however, I revived it recently.

I demoed Marantz AVR 1609 however, with ELAC floorstanding speakers and found the experience good.

Coming back to specification of my Tannoy V4i floor standing speakers (shared below again, refer to second column Mercury V4i), I am told by one of the dealer that NR 1609 will not be suitable in 5.1 speaker set up. He recommended to go for an amp atleast 100 watts per channel.

Since I have limited budget of 35K I was happy to go extra mile to tap on NR series however, with latest discussion held with couple of dealers it is suggested not to go for NR series or an amp with lower than 100 watt per channel power.

Please can I request you to share your rationale?

1567940464774.png

Thanks

Hello, pm if interested in Yamaha RXV 479 AVR or NAD 356 amp. Both within your budget and we'll suited for Tannoys.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back