Tata Sky SD problem with video......

vikrant

Dear Friends,

I have just moved to Mumbai in a rented apartment. There is a 23" samsung LED TV in my apartment which is hooked up to a tata sky sd box. The tv is connected using the composite video cable to the stb.

The issue is that there is some noise in the video that i get on the tv. I can't notice the disturbance from some distance like 8-9 feet. But if i go close to the tv, i can see horizontal bars of very fine noise appearing at the bottom, top or middle of the picture. the bars are 3-4 inches in height and keep moving up or down. All the noise is particularly noticeable when i change the channels and the screen goes blank intermittently.

I also called up tata sky and they sent a guy to check the connection. He tried 2-3 old video cables and also a refurbished old stb but it made no difference. The guy simply told me that there is an issue in the tv's video port.

Also, i want to mention that the tv and stb are plugged into a spike strip which is connected to the wall socket using a 3 pin plug. I have also tried running the tv and stb straight through two wall sockets thinking that it could be an issue of ground loop but no success.

I don't have any other equipment at the moment that i can plug into the tv's video port to test it.

Could this be a problem with the video port or could it be a ground loop or could it be a weak signal? I have also noticed that the stb shows around 70% signal strength and 100% signal quality.

Or is it just normal for composite video to have this much noise?

Please help....

You really have to give it a video source through the same port to come to a conclusion.
However, you can try to disconnect the stb from the TV and then see if the lines are still there.
If they disappear then it is definitely either the port or the stb.
If not then it is some problem with the tv itself or some kind of interference.

Thanks for the reply Kestrel. It does not look like a problem with the tv itself, its either the port or the stb. The lines disappear if i turn of or disconnect the stb. I have a laptop and i thought of getting a vga to composite connector to connect the laptop to the tv but i am not getting it anywhere in the local market. Its not cheap online. For the kind of price i could simply upgrade to an HD stb and use hdmi port. I really don't want to spend money on some one else's tv and stb. I thought there could be an easy fix but i am currently clueless.

Back there at my native place chandigarh, i have a cowon player that has a tv out cable with it which i can use to test the port but i am not sure about my next visit to my hometown so, i was looking for an alternative way of testing or may be fixing the issue.

Take your STB + cords to your neighbor / friend's house who has a Tata Sky connection and request them for the test. This way you will be able decide if the fault is with the STB or with the TV.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back