Tata Sky to Launch HD PVR Set Top Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigneshg

With regards to the Indian television scene, its been a few years since the Conditional Access System (CAS) raised a storm while promising better quality of transmission and lowered cable bills among other advantages. This had companies like Airtel and Tata stepping into the scene and offering consumers a chance to opt for alternative entertainment sources in the form of DTH services. Tata Sky has now shared plans to introduce the HD PVR set top box across India soon.

While there isnt much information on the Tata Sky HD PVR device, it has been mentioned that the set top box will offer 500GB of storage capacity. This will most likely provide some space for hoarding recorded shows and movies users may have missed due to a schedule that is not tuned to the TV guides. The HD tag attached to the product name should clue in potential users about the picture quality of entertainment content which the device can be expected to render.

Tata Sky hasnt offered anything more than a sneak peek of the HD PVR as yet. So the pricing details and definite launch date will have to wait under cover until the company decides to part with the information.

tata-sky-hd-pvr.jpg

Tata Sky slated to launch HD PVR set top box - TechShout

Tata Sky hasnt offered anything more than a sneak peek of the HD PVR as yet. So the pricing details and definite launch date will have to wait under cover until the company decides to part with the information

The engineer who visited to install our HD box said they have received training and support for installation of HD+ but they wont accept bookings for a while.

Someone speculated the price at being 3500 for the HD+ if this is true the only reason they arent launching it is so that the sales of regular HD boxes dont suffer, once they have sufficiently cleared stocks, they might launch the HD+

I for one would definitely be a chump if the box only costed 1000 INR more.

Last edited:
The engineer who visited to install our HD box said they have received training and support for installation of HD+ but they wont accept bookings for a while.

Someone speculated the price at being 3500 for the HD+ if this is true the only reason they arent launching it is so that the sales of regular HD boxes dont suffer, once they have sufficiently cleared stocks, they might launch the HD+

I for one would definitely be irked if the box onoly costed 1000 INR more.

3500 bucks impossible. Currently TS+ STB is priced at Rs 5999 how can TS+ HD be less dan that.

Sorry my post wasnt clear.

I wasnt being serious about that but someone else seems to think the HD+ will cost around 3.5 in the other discussion thats happening, this is the reasoning for not to go for the current HD. Lol.

You will notice I bought the regular HD box.

Unless there is a great offer it will be 9999/- or 9990/- just my guess :p

I find the airtel IPTV server approach better than a PVR. But I guess that wouldn't be possible on DTH.
In airtel IPTV, last 7 days program material is saved and you can browse and watch it anytime. Doesn't require you to leave a box to be left switched on. And it is of no use if power disappears while you were away, or your 10 mins backup went away.

With regards to the Indian television scene, its been a few years since the Conditional Access System (CAS) raised a storm while promising better quality of transmission and lowered cable bills among other advantages. This had companies like Airtel and Tata stepping into the scene and offering consumers a chance to opt for alternative entertainment sources in the form of DTH services. Tata Sky has now shared plans to introduce the HD PVR set top box across India soon.

While there isnt much information on the Tata Sky HD PVR device, it has been mentioned that the set top box will offer 500GB of storage capacity. This will most likely provide some space for hoarding recorded shows and movies users may have missed due to a schedule that is not tuned to the TV guides. The HD tag attached to the product name should clue in potential users about the picture quality of entertainment content which the device can be expected to render.

Tata Sky hasnt offered anything more than a sneak peek of the HD PVR as yet. So the pricing details and definite launch date will have to wait under cover until the company decides to part with the information.

tata-sky-hd-pvr.jpg

Tata Sky slated to launch HD PVR set top box - TechShout

Yes, the TataSKY+ HD boxes will be launched by this month end, it was supposed to be launched tomorrow and I was told by the technician that they were provided with the training on the new box. The prices are not disclosed yet by it will be abt 8-9k and yes the storage is 500GB with 230 hrs of recording.

I find the airtel IPTV server approach better than a PVR. But I guess that wouldn't be possible on DTH.
In airtel IPTV, last 7 days program material is saved and you can browse and watch it anytime. Doesn't require you to leave a box to be left switched on. And it is of no use if power disappears while you were away, or your 10 mins backup went away.

No HD..Fox network channels like FX/Fox Crime/BabyTV/Nat Gea Wild/Nat Geo Music missing there. Got IPTV disconnected and put TS HD instead

Reactions: anm
That has to be the sweetest-looking HD DVR in the market now. Almost looks like an expensive home theater component. Great finish from the looks of it. Reliance's BIG DVR on the other hand is one ugly "made in china" looking cheap-ass plastic box. Tempting, but I think I'll stick to my std. TS HD box.

As usual the CC didnt have a clue about this ...

and reliability is a major issue. After 1 month of downtime with airtel, I would not go for iptv. Just that IF there was a reliable IPTV provider, and IF it had hidef, the server based approach is the best than PVR. PVR is more unreliable due to power conditions in India.

No HD..Fox network channels like FX/Fox Crime/BabyTV/Nat Gea Wild/Nat Geo Music missing there. Got IPTV disconnected and put TS HD instead

I have been hearing about this launch for quite some time now, does anyone have any specific dates? I want to purchase it before they run out of the boxes. Also, I am using Tata Sky + and does any have idea about exchange?

That has to be the sweetest-looking HD DVR in the market now. Almost looks like an expensive home theater component. Great finish from the looks of it. Reliance's BIG DVR on the other hand is one ugly "made in china" looking cheap-ass plastic box. Tempting, but I think I'll stick to my std. TS HD box.

Well, I have Big TV HD DVR box and it's definitely not a cheap-ass plastic box. It's a decent looking sturdy metal box. :)

Btw, I seriously doubt TS launching the HD+ box as show in the pic. If they are going to offer that then be ready to shell out near to 8-9k for it. Also 500gb HDD is way too much for a STB which won't allow user to copy recorded content to other devices. (if any one knows how to copy suhc content then pl share the trick;))

I have been hearing about this launch for quite some time now,
And we will continue to hear this for months to come, i can safely say...no information whatsoever on when they will launch either the HD or HD PVR. It only goes to show how unprofessional a company can be.

Just having a call center with people who will only say 'Sir...Sir... for everything doesn't make a good customer service. They are just like any other service provider but with a glorified useless customer service

Last Saturday, I was told by a TS dealer, in Kolkata, that the PVR would cost Rs 3.5K and that it would indeed be available, sometime this week. I asked the dealer to let me know when it came in, he's supposed to call me back, let's see what happens. :)

I was also told that that dealer would be willing to allow me to exchange/upgrade my old HD box for the HD PVR. He made it clear that it had to be an HD box, the SD boxes would apparently NOT be exchanged. I have no idea whether there is an exchange option available for the TS+ SD PVR. I didn't ask him about this. Don't ask for any tech specs because I wasn't given any. I would agree that the PVR in the photo with the 500 gig HD, looks a little too good to be true of it's to sell for Rs. 3.5 K!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back