TATA SKY Troubles

sandeepgarg

I had 2 Tata SKY SD connections. I asked them to set up 2 TATA SKY+ HD for these. The local dealer arranged for 2 boxes and sent the TATA SKY personnel to set them up on the 1st March.

The 1st set top box set-up without any issues. Now the 2nd box was not able to download the software so they took it back. No issues till now.

Now start the problems.

The 1 new set top box asked me for a re-charge. HUH!!!

Why?? Because the service persons/dealers persons had created another Cust ID and issued the 2 NEW +HD boxes. There was an annual recharge (done about 4-5 days back only) existing on my old ID and also a 1700/- balance (as I had 2 sets running). I did not recharge it, and in fact called up TATA Sky call center with the problem.

They, After verification of the 2 CUSTOMER IDs told me that they could see that one of the box installations was still pending, and they would merge the new Cust. ID with the old one, once this box was set up fully.

This setup was done on 3rd Feb. This time the service staff at Ajmer got the box issued in my old ID only.

I put in a request giving all the relevant details. The Customer Care also gave me an assurance that they would do the needful and I would get a CALL back from the relevant office to complete the process within 24 hours. They issued me a service request no. 1-9431707953 saying that they will get back to me by 16:14:42 on 04-03-2011. (WOW!! for the exact time).

Now, no one contacted me, and I contacted their HELPLINE nos. again. This time the lady told me that she is putting a mail to Bangalore/Hyderabad and asking the relevant department to co-ordinate with me at the earliest. She was sure that they would call back within a few hours.

They have such a funny system of disconnecting the TOLL FREE call after 7 minutes automatically. I was disconnected 4 times, explaining my problem every time to a new person, as I was also not able to get through to their regular nos. (non-TOLL FREE).

The +HD box has to be recharged in 3 days. This set stopped functioning on the 5th morning. On calling up the local office and Customer care they assured me that they will clear the problem at the earliest.

Finally in the evening of 5th, I got through the paid no. and had a long chat 1st with the person on the line, and then with their supervisor. They assured me that The problem would be resolved by Monday. I told them that I was returning all the sets and was now contemplating taking them to Consumer court, as they were out to cheat me. Even the dealer was after them to clear this up at the earliest. I asked them to put up my problem again to the relevant persons, along with my threat to return the boxes and ask for a full refund. They gave me a new request no. 1-9457202007 with assurance that it would be cleared within 24 hours.

Now today is Monday 7th March night and STILL no call back. The dealer is finally resigned that the installed boxes (Both the functioning one and the non functioning one) are all coming back to him, and he will have to give me a refund.

Is TATA stupid? Or do they have an It does not matter to us attitude?

What do I do? return the sets, and let the dealer (Who is also my elder cousin) fight it out with the company? He is resigned to anything, and has had enough discussions with the TATA Sky executives, to no avail. :mad:

why not go through the other way and send an email... give them some pain in the wrong place...

[email protected]

.. send the same email to the nodal office with a warning in red and bold and underlined....

state very clearly that you are going to file a case in consumer court for forgery, mental torture and bad service and not fulfilling the agreement of service..

wait for 48 hours if that dosent work.. jaipur court is nearby.. i am from jaipur.. bro is majistrate in jaipur high court.. and another 15 odd adv in family.. will send them a notice hardly 15 mins job dont worry. will get them straight soon..

gone are those days when companies used to do what they wanted.. now lets give them some torture...

ceo [email protected]

Last edited:
I again called up their 1800 no. only to be assured AGAIN that they would arrange a call back and to be DISCONNECTED AS USUAL after 7 minutes, in the middle of my talk. I have sent mails to the nodal officer Rajasthan and the CEO as advised. Lets see what happens.

This is my mail to the concerned persons again:

Dear Sir

I have not received any response to this complaint to you (at such senior posts) also. This I did no expect!!

I now feel that the taken for granted attitude is now manifest with all of the TATA SKY organisation. I am sorry to say that this is the wrong attitude from your esteemed organisation.

If my writing to the CEO and the Nodal officer also does not get the correct response, it portends bad for the organisation.

My expectation was, that the matter would be resolved immediately, at least after these mails, but it seems that for whatever reasons the TATA Sky persons are interested in keeping this in a lingering state so they can grab more and more money without giving services.

I am now absolutely disgusted.

I have just received a call saying that that you will not refund and terminate the connection. That I must bear with you till whatever you feel can be done is done. (This after 6 days-- mind you!!), with no assurance of when you will merge these IDs and when you will Re-start my 2nd HD PVR Box.

Is this justified??

If you would have just said we are immediately starting the services, I would have been happy, but to be kept waiting on the phone for 15-17 minutes of a total of about 25 minutes, and even then I had to disconnect due to the person (VARUN) leaving me on hold. Do verify this too.

Do revert at the earliest with a satisfactory solution.

Sandeep garg

why not go through the other way and send an email... give them some pain in the wrong place...

[email protected]

.. send the same email to the nodal office with a warning in red and bold and underlined....

state very clearly that you are going to file a case in consumer court for forgery, mental torture and bad service and not fulfilling the agreement of service..

wait for 48 hours if that dosent work.. jaipur court is nearby.. i am from jaipur.. bro is majistrate in jaipur high court.. and another 15 odd adv in family.. will send them a notice hardly 15 mins job dont worry. will get them straight soon..

gone are those days when companies used to do what they wanted.. now lets give them some torture...

ceo [email protected]

Can you suggest, what efforts are required after you file a case against company in consumer court?. Who will follow up on the case and what are the general expenses. Do person filling case has to be present all the time in court?. I know filling case in Indian courts is harassment in itself, is effort worth it?.

I hear lot of people suggesting filing case in consumer court but nobody really suggest what exactly will be involve and what will be money + time costs.

When TATA launched TATA Indicom phone service, i subscribed for it and they gave me tons of run around. I was always given new complain number and was never followed up and my problem remain as it is. The problem was, I subscribed for unlimited internet connection and they kept charging me on time bases. They sent me Rs.10000+ bill to which I responded with proof that I subscribed for unlimited plan and not time based plan (order form confirmation). I went to their gallery to resolve my problem and they refused to help and told me to call help line. They never solved my problem hence I surrendered my phone for which I have to drive 28 kms away. After that I kept receiving legal notices from their lawyer about settling my bill with them or they will put my name in some kind of national fraud list and will file case against me in court.

After receiving further notices, I called tata indicom and the representative told me to go and visit gallery and the gallery people told me call help line!!!! wtf!. After that I swear I will never deal with any tata brand, however, now tata sky+ HD seems best in market but I am really scared from dealing with TATA's brands.

At the time, I was so much mentally torcher, I was thinking about filing case against them in consumer court however I was unaware of the process and was concerned about run around in court.

:rolleyes:

^ ABSOLUTELY ALL the companies treat us like that they know we will almost never SUE them for their fault. What you saw for Tata Indicom was their STANDARD MODUS OPERANDI! They don't care/know why those bills are pending and work like BRAINLESS MACHINES even if you talk to them explaining the problem in great detail. Usually these companies SELL their debt to some agency for recovery and this is how they function.

Go to consumer court and don't bother hiring a lawyer, just file the case with them. They will send notice to TATA to come for hearing. TATA will send their Advocate to talk on their behalf. Cost will be nominal and Consumer courts try to resolve your concerns with minimum turnaround time.

I have seen an online site recently which provide you with lawyer, send legal notice and follow-up on your behalf to resolve your concern and give you max compensation for Rs. 499. That way you just need to explain your issue to them once and relax. You could try it as well.

They don't care/know why those bills are pending and work like BRAINLESS MACHINES even if you talk to them explaining the problem in great detail.
The brainless part is not accidental. Once a customer's case goes to debt recovery department, the recovery dept can't afford to attempt to resolve the case. They the risk of weakening the case if it moves back out of recovery dept and then to the dept again. Large companies have trails for all these actions which could be used for as well as against them. They also run the risk of a customer who uses this pretext to get the information and then sue them using that information.

While it's debatable whether it's a fair practice - best policy for us is to try and get it resolved before it goes to debt recovery department (internal or external). Once that happens, explaining the problem won't help. Either decide not to pay them at all (and wait for them to initiate an action) or pay them in full immediately.

After receiving further notices, I called tata indicom and the representative told me to go and visit gallery and the gallery people told me call help line!!!! wtf!. After that I swear I will never deal with any tata brand, however, now tata sky+ HD seems best in market but I am really scared from dealing with TATA's brands.

I too had a bad experience of getting a huge bill even after settling the last bill with Tata Indicom around 2007-2008. I heard about similar problems from quite a few of my friends/relatives/business contacts well. I think it's over now. Haven't heard anything against Tata Indicom for some time.

In any case other Tata brands should have nothing to do with Indicom. Each company is a fully independent company.

Back